Solitary, unskilled, outdoor jobs?

After spending the last six months getting bombarded with college rejection letters, I have decided to give my chosen career (music production) a rest and try something else.

The problem is, I have no idea what kinds of jobs I might like.

I have hated all of my past jobs, because they were A) very people-oriented, and B) I had to spend most of the day indoors.

Are there any jobs where you can go most of the day without seeing another human being, where you spend at least half the day outdoors, and where higher education is not required? - since that does not seem to be in the cards for me at this point.

so what do ya say arrowbee? Any thing sound good? I bet theres more.

I appreciate the brain-racking!!! But every job seems to involve either more education than I can afford, more equipment than I can afford, or a bigger pay-cut than I can afford.

Maybe I should just go back on antidepressants until I've learned to love my call-centre job, since it seems to be my destiny.

The most painful thing that can happen to you when you're working at a call centre is discovering you're good at it.

I appreciate the brain-racking!!! But every job seems to involve either more education than I can afford, more equipment than I can afford, or a bigger pay-cut than I can afford.

Maybe I should just go back on antidepressants until I've learned to love my call-centre job, since it seems to be my destiny.

The most painful thing that can happen to you when you're working at a call centre is discovering you're good at it.

If you have a steady job mabey you could explore some other things in the meantime. Look into some of this stuff. It may pay better than you think or be with in closer reach than you expect. Im also sure there are other things we didnt mention.

Oh yeah, I built waterfalls for a few years. That was great. Doesnt cost much to do. I started doing it on the weakends for family and friends and eventually got a reputation.

Just keep exploring!

Are there any jobs where you can go most of the day without seeing another human being, where you spend at least half the day outdoors, and where higher education is not required? - since that does not seem to be in the cards for me at this point.

Yes, a thoroughbred/standardbred racetrack. You can get your start as a hot walker (cooling horses down after morning work-outs). It's a tough labor of love type of job though. Work starts at 5-5:30 am and you're out by 11 am in the morning. When I did it I got paid $175-225/week---that was the going rate in the 90's. After you learn your way around horses cooling them out--you can become a groom--that pays higher ($400/week--$100/horse/week--again this was the going rate in the 90's) Just warning you though---that half of America's most wanted are found in the stable area--aka 'backstretch'--along with lots of drugs and alcohol. Oh...I forgot, it's a 7-day a week job--in other words no weekends off.

• Like 1
Yes, a thoroughbred/standardbred racetrack. You can get your start as a hot walker (cooling horses down after morning work-outs). It's a tough labor of love type of job though. Work starts at 5-5:30 am and you're out by 11 am in the morning.

Hmm. I think I'm good with animals (although I've never worked with horses before) and 5-noon are my peak hours for physical activity.

When I did it I got paid $175-225/week---that was the going rate in the 90's.

Neat!

After you learn your way around horses cooling them out--you can become a groom--that pays higher ($400/week--$100/horse/week--again this was the going rate in the 90's)
Super neat!

half of America's most wanted are found in the stable area--aka 'backstretch'--along with lots of drugs and alcohol.
Maybe it's different in Canada, but either way I'll get by.

Thanks for the idea. I am going to ask around about this...

There's a lot of different typs of Union jobs that would match what you're looking for.

Electricians (the union I'm most familiar with) have various different career paths, and the IBEW offers its own training classes and support structures. The wages can be good (most areas are 20 for journeymen, some as high as 30, and overtime is the norm in a lot of construction jobs). Depending on the area the work might not always be steady and sometimes you'll have to travel. But if you're willing torelocate to a different region you can ussually find steady work. The key is to be hard working and adaptable.

There's actually a lot of jobs out there for people who are dependable and willing to put some effort out. Most people these days think the only way to support yourself is to get a college degree, and are surprised to find how little a Liberal Arts degree actually means.

After spending the last six months getting bombarded with college rejection letters, I have decided to give my chosen career (music production) a rest and try something else.

The problem is, I have no idea what kinds of jobs I might like.

I have hated all of my past jobs, because they were A) very people-oriented, and B) I had to spend most of the day indoors.

Not directly answering your question, but have you considered the possibility of studying abroad?

Many colleges have study programs and fellowships that send you to another country (or countries) for several months at a time, studying the culture, language, etc. Might open up your eyes to something new...?