Promise Ring/Engagement Ring?

hmmm, maybe a promise ring because he's telling you about it, but it could still be an engagement ring! He might have plans for whatever particular night and want it to be perfect and so that you don't make other plans or something. Or he may have NO idea you'd know it's a promise ring or an engagement ring so he's letting you know it's that important.

But whatever it is, it's important and it's a big deal! Don't be upset if it's not a ring!!! Because just in case it's not, it's still obviously very important and he's got it in him to express how he feels about you like this. But I would still be dreaming about if it's a ring, haha. I think it's fun he's getting you excited about it.

Maybe, it's something you've mention you've always wanted to do or wanted to have. And he's taking you to do that or getting you that item. But, hopefully it will be what you want.If it's not just still be happy and don't give him a sad face because, that will make him feel like you're not happy with whatever it is hes given you even if its not what you thought it would be. But, good luck!! =)

Ooh ooh...I am going with a macaroni necklace!

I have no idea, could be anything......I learned long ago people can sometimes have some odd hints for presents that often seem quite unrelated to it when you actually see it!

I also know when it comes to proposals, people tend (at least those I know whom have gotten engaged) to like to make it a surprise - even if they have talked about it and the marriage and all that; they like the actual proposal to be a surprise so not sure HINTING about something like that would be common...though maybe....!

Could be a promise ring though; though I have to admit I still don't really get what those are all about....not common thing when I was in that younger dating age...and if my boyfriend gave me a promise ring now...well, I would not be impressed by that at this point in our relationship

I would expect it NOT to be an engagement ring, because if it's say, a holiday or a puppy or something, you might look disappointed. It does SOUND like that what he's getting at, but put it out of your mind just in case!

I was going to say "It's a puppy!". No, seriously, you have gotten some good advice in this thread. Don't dwell on what it could be/what you want it to be, just in case it is something unexpected or disappointing.

He did get me a "promise ring"...it is a beautiful blue topaz white gold and silver ring with diamond chips all around the stone. It is soo pretty!

When he gave it to me though...he didn't directly mention marriage. He said he promises to love me forever and stuff like that. However, he did say he wanted to get me an engagement ring, but thought it would be inappropriate since we are so young (20 + 22)...and he doesn't have that much money.

It was very sweet...but the fact that he never promised to marry me kind of defeated the purpose. He did however keep mentioning he wants to live with me. ??

well, a promise to marry is an engagement ring.

anyways, just be happy! you are young, there is no need to jump the gun, no need to hurry, you know what I mean? just enjoy the relationship, get to know him better, and if things keep going well and you like being with him, the engagement ring will come in time.

good luck!

He did say he wanted an engagement ring so that is on his mind, hey? The promise ring sounds lovely. definitely sounds like he put some thought into it! I also think its a wonderful gesture to say that he feels committed and in love with you.

As for receiving more... well, I agree with Annie!

• 3 weeks later...