Am I the only guy like this?

BigSurge

I'm only 18 and have only had one serious girlfriend so I'm not too experienced in the whole relationship and dating scene. I have been on a couple of dates with different girls but I realized recently that I hate dating. I am much happier in a serious monogamous relationship with someone I love than dating around. I know I may be too young to be saying this, but I really just want to find THE ONE. and have a happy life with that one special girl. I know it's cliche and corny, but all I've ever wanted was a special someone, a nice house in the suburbs, and some kids. I think I have the mental age of a 40 year old. My only problem is finding a girl my age interested in that kind of commitment. Any advice?

My advice would be to date around, anyway. I would adopt the atttitude that you would like the relationship with the right woman, when and if she comes along. But until then, date. Don't just grab onto the first woman who wants a relationship. Shop around.

I know I may be too young to be saying this, but I really just want to find THE ONE.

My only problem is finding a girl my age interested in that kind of commitment. Any advice?

Well you are not to young to say you want to find THE ONE. That's excellent & I think most people want that.

But finding THE ONE, involves dating around to find the RIGHT ONE, not just anyone willing to make the commitment.

hey ive always been the same - i had a 2.5 year relationship followed by a 4 year one....i wanted that one to last forever and honestly thought i'd never want anyone else. Wasnt at all interested in dating around, thought just him would do me forever. Turns out im not what he wants so i'm suddenly single and new to the dating game too. I'm learning that the only way you will find what you want is to give things a try - sure you might want one perfect relationship but if you dont go on any dates at all, you might never meet miss right. Just be light hearted about it from the beginning, dating doesnt have to be serious and you never know when that amazing person might turn up.

Its lovely that you want just one person but we dont always get what we want so sometimes you have to be willing to compromise a little along the way! youre not alone with those thoughts - my parents have been married 33 years, together since aged 15 and my best friends have been together 7 years (we are just 22) i would give almost anything to have that but alas, its not meant to be.......i'll have to wait and see what else comes my way - yes i want that perfect relationship just like you do, but maybe we'll just have to wait for a while. ;-)

good luck.

yea man i know how you feel, except, well im 15, so your not alone. and yea just do what i do, be friends with girls hang out with them "date them" so to speek, and then later on hopefully, they will relize they are looking for the same thing u are, and mabey theyll be right there for you, just keep waiting....

I know I may be too young to be saying this, but I really just want to find THE ONE. and have a happy life with that one special girl. I know it's cliche and corny, but all I've ever wanted was a special someone, a nice house in the suburbs, and some kids. I think I have the mental age of a 40 year old. My only problem is finding a girl my age interested in that kind of commitment. Any advice?

I would like to point out that you are still young and dating is not just having micro-relationships with people, the purpose of dating is to find what you are looking for, notice that I did not say that dating is about comforming a person to what you want. You say that you want too look for "the one" but what you want at 18 is not what you want at 22 and its not what you want at 25. If you want to have serious monogomous relationships then feel free to have them but that does not mean that you are going to meet "the one" right away. It is going to take some time and some effort to find the right girl for you.

Listen to these folks they are right, don't latch on to the first thing you grab. I made that mistake with my ex-wife..she was my first girlfriend, we where together from 15 to 25 with 5 of those being married. The first 5 years where great, but once we got married we changed and not for the good. We both lost 10 years of living and "interviewing" as some have put it.

Think of dating as a process of interviewing a potential mate.

You're not spreading yourself thin, or not going for a monogamous relationship; instead you're using it as a method with which to weed out candidates for the position of partner.

Well said.