What do people think of lesbians?

Wanna know what people think of lesbians? I mean, lately there has been a kind of normalisation of gay guys - and people have come to accept it pretty widely, and it`s even cool to be gay cos you`re artier etc. But what`s the feeling for lesbians out there?

I dont really think about it. I just see every one as people. If a girl is attracted to another girl its their bussiness and as long as gay guys keep away their gayness I'm ok with them. I actually have a friend who's gay, and a female friend who's bi and we never mention anything cause their sex life is their personal business.

That's me though, I was raised to not to judge people and get to know them and for that I thank my parents

Yeah, I don't like/dislike them on the basis of their sexual orientation. I've had lesbian friends that were awesome, but I've met some that I did not care for to be honest, but it is not a factor in how I feel about them anymore than their hair color is.

I always thought that people thought that lesbians were quite butch, which kind of puts me off... I mean, I`m not butch and I don`t want people thinking that I am if I tell them I`m lesbian (which I`m not sure about right now). Plus, if you were a girl and your friend told you she was gay, would you be kinda scared that she would try to hit on you or be checking you out? Cos, gay or straight, I`m not the kind of person that drools over bodies, and I would hate for someone to think that...

lesbians, to be honest, most of the ones i know have more a porblem with me as a man then me having a problem with them.

I sometimes feel that they have a beef with the male spieces

I've heard that from straight guys, but have never found evidence of it from my lesbian friends, coworkers or in gay bars. I grew up in pretty much a gay neighborhood. Maybe as a calm straight my vibe is different. I dunno.

Well, now ya got that whole thing with the "lipstick LesbiN. she is soft and girly. She is the reasomn people mdon't automatically think butch when the word is heard. The Lipstick varitry has made the whole oreintation popular for now. Amaica loves Lezbos. I do find that type to be defensive and cold to guys as she is tired of being asked by srtarngers if "He cAN WATCH"

tHE butch is accually the calmest and coolest of the two, guess since she plays the guy she has to be te emotional stabelizer / backstop for the twep. Anyway. The butch lesbian is a reqally cool person in my experience . Tghey are always so respectful, frienly, laid back and fun. Id love to go campaighning with some of the butches I know.

I too tired to keep making these great points

I don't have a problem with lesbians. I view them just as any other person. As for those people who believe in the stereotype that all lesbians are butch; they probably haven't met any lesbians, or they are maybe a bit ignorant.

I think the only people who believe a gay person is going to jump on any member of the same sex and rape them is a homophobe. To believe that gay people have such uncontrollable urges is ridiculous. I've seen so many straight people conveying this opinion of gay people and refusing to go near them because of it, but I have never seen a gay person who is afraid to go near a straight person of the same gender because they think the straight person will rape them. Homosexuality does not equal an insatiable drive to hump as many straight people as possible, but sadly there are people out there who still believe it does.

Wanna know what people think of lesbians? I mean, lately there has been a kind of normalisation of gay guys - and people have come to accept it pretty widely, and it`s even cool to be gay cos you`re artier etc. But what`s the feeling for lesbians out there?

I dont know if i can agree that "its cool to be gay" I believe that is over simplying a stereotype of the gay community. I dont think anything different of lesbians that I think of any other person, they are people as well and are entitled to live the life that all of us enjoy.

I have a gay friend, and he knows quite a bit about lesbians as he lives in a gay community, and he and his friends have occasionally gone to lesbian bars, and he also has experience with them from pride parades.

I have also read a number of studies on human sexuality, and based on things that I have read and heard, there are a few interesting conclusions:

1. Sexual orientation is a spectrum ranging from complete homosexuality to complete heterosexuality, with most people falling somewhere inbetween.

2. Due to social pressures from both sides, most people are closer to one end of the spectrum than the other.

3. Interestingly, male homosexuality appears to be more absolute than female homosexuality. Studies show that true homosexual males are not aroused by the naked female body, but homosexual females are aroused by both the naked male and female bodies.

4. Also interestingly, studies show that most women are aroused by the naked female body as well as the naked male body (while straight men are not aroused by the naked male body). This shows an inherent tendency in woman towards bisexuality.

5. As most women are already attracted to women, and most women are attracted to men, those women who completely reject men are doing so out for psychological reasons more than biological ones. (Whereas with homosexual men, this is the other way around).

Okay, so now for the observations of my friend. While he knows quite a number of very nice lesbians, he has found that as a group they tend to harbour a great deal of anger, especially towards men (homosexual men included).

He noted that lesbian bars have far, far more security than gay bars as they tend to have more fights, and the larger tough "butch" lesbians can be exceedingly difficult to control when they've been drinking.

Go into a mixed gay/lesbian bar for the evening instead of reading stats.

I highly recommend it, and the decor is usually better than straight bars.

Lesbians I've known are often offended at being labeled manhaters, since after all they have brothers, fathers and male friends. I suspect straight women have a similar percentage of man-haters.

Go into a mixed gay/lesbian bar for the evening instead of reading stats.

I highly recommend it, and the decor is usually better than straight bars.

That wasn't from a stat -- that was direct from a friend who often goes to lesbian bars, and based on conversations with the bouncers there.

Lesbians I've known are often offended at being labeled manhaters, since after all they have brothers, fathers and male friends. I suspect straight women have a similar percentage of man-haters.

Far more lesbians are man-haters than straight women.

So........what do they attribute the male resentment to?

The perceived "man" that everyone not white and male rebels against ??

No. Most lesbians did not have a very good relationship with their father, and many were sexually abused as a child. Please note we are talking about true lesbians here -- women who have no interest in being with a man.

This doesn't apply to 100% of lesbians. A significant number of lesbians experienced a mid-life change similar to men "coming out of the closet" whereby after being married and having children, they divorce and become homosexual.

While many of these people will state, "I always felt different", or "I was always attracted to the same sex", a large part of the "switch" comes from the despair of a failed marriage.

That wasn't from a stat -- that was direct from a friend who often goes to lesbian bars, and based on conversations with the bouncers there.

I'd think a bouncer at a bar sees people who go to bars.

Of the lesbians I've known only Moana likes bars. She's butch and likes guys just fine, but has punched a few deserving fellows. Maybe she's likely to meet a bouncer, or be one.

Thanks for everyones thoughts...someguy69 your stats actually made me feel a bit better! Plus to whom wrote about it, I didn`t know about the girly lesbian type. I tend to be more comfortable when I can label myself (reading this back, is this not good...?)

From a few comments, I guess although I thought I was pretty open minded, when it came to lesbians I was afraid of being come on to and would be pretty disturbed by the thought, and that made me narrowminded. If I give a reason (excuse maybe), I have grown up in a conservative environment, and no, apart from one friend who came out (and who I didn`t judge and am still friends with), I don`t have any lesban friends. When I first had the thought that I might be gay it truly freaked me out, and the thoughts that ran through my head surprised me - I won`t be able to have a proper family, a house with a husband and kids. The biggest emotion was sadness.

The thoughts that followed were, how will people jdge me, be disgusted by me etc, which I guess must have been based on my own ignorant thinking. I don`t think I`m a judgemental person deep down, and I`m even upset by the fact that I think these things, but I guess by reading what you all say I`m trying to get an understanding of where my perspective lies on the spectrum, and whether I feel safe enough to adjust.