Can Oral sex cause cancer ?

Hi everyone,

Whilst searching for tips on oral sex, I stumbled upon an article stating oral sex can lead to an increase in mouth cancer and cancer of the Cervix in both men and women.

Wanting to find out more, I googled oral sex + cancer and a whole load of info came up stating that studies show an increase risk.

Does anyone know much about this and wether it is concrete evidence.

It is a worry that this could lead to diseases such as cancer.

What does everyone else think ?

Yeah it is scary.

That is why I am posting a topic about it.

I don't want to scare anyone, I just want to find outmore information.

I guess it is a very minute amount.

Although people do say to use condoms and dental dams, most people don't.

I've never heard of anyone using a dental dam when going down on their girlfriend.

If you are with a long term partner, many people don't even use condoms.

While there may be a link, I'd hazard a guess you've got a greater chance of getting killed in a car accident on any given day.

That's the funny thing about researchers (and the media)...they'll sensationalize or exaggerate stuff in order to line up more research money, get better ratings, or sell more papers/magazines.

If they were truly concerned about cutting down the risk of oral cancer, tobacco products would be outlawed.

Hi everyone,

Whilst searching for tips on oral sex, I stumbled upon an article stating oral sex can lead to an increase in mouth cancer and cancer of the Cervix in both men and women.

Wanting to find out more, I googled oral sex + cancer and a whole load of info came up stating that studies show an increase risk.

Does anyone know much about this and wether it is concrete evidence.

It is a worry that this could lead to diseases such as cancer.

What does everyone else think ?

LOL! That is funny! MEN do not HAVE a CERVIX!!!!

I would say that the entire article is bunk.

where did you find it? if you are looking for reliable research, go to reputable websites like link removed or link removed

any random yahoo can write and publish anything on the internet, but that doesn't make it true.

Just look up on google oral sex + cancer and you will find a whole load of sites that state scientists have researched it.

I know men don't have a cervix. This is only for women.

The equivilant oral sex cancer cause in men is in the throat or mouth and the penis.

Just look up on google oral sex + cancer and you will find a whole load of sites that state scientists have researched it.

I know men don't have a cervix. This is only for women.

The equivilant oral sex cancer cause in men is in the throat or mouth and the penis.

But are they good sources?

I can write anything on the internet and say scientists have researced it. A student made a gag article a few months ago about the positive effects of oral sex for women - and that ended up in otherwise good sources because nobody checked to see if it was correct.

New Scientist is a trustable source and if you read the end it say that the risks are so minimal there is no point worrying.

Smoking and alcohol are the causes of most oral cancer and i don't see you getting upset about that..

Cancer is caused by mutations in the cells in the body. It wouldn't be caused by oral sex alone. As said, the only way it could happen was if one partner had HPV or similar as there are definate links between HPV and cancer of the cervix. If you are worried, I would go and talk to a Doctor about it and perhaps get tested for HPV and other STIs.

Most newspapers DO sensationalise. The risk IS quite low. However, it is still there, so make sure you always use condoms when having sex at least. Saliva does a good job of keeping infections at bay, but stuff can still be passed on. The best thing to do is talk to a doctor and get testing if you are really worried.