9/11 remembrance

wow it doesn't feel like five years since 9/11/01. i remember i was in 4th grade. we were dividing and my teachers friend came and yelled turn on the TV. all the students were confused so my teacher explained what was going on. one of the students started to cry and said her dad was there. i remember being confused, scared, sad, and angry. although i was only in 4th grade i remember every detail. there were over thousands of REAL people that died and yet there was a girl in my biology class that was talking during the national anthem and i turned to her and said show some respect for your country and the people that have and are defending it and she said man f 9-11 and the US. i felt so much anger build up inside of me, people don't understand how serious this is and they dont care because they have there family and they weren't affected by the attacks.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE POLICE OFFICERS, FIREMAN, MEDICAL PEOPLE, MILITARY PEOPLE, AND THE PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT THEM IN THE UNITED STATES FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO. THIS COUNTRY WOULDN'T BE HERE WITHOUT YOU!!!!

I watched the documentary about the firefighters last night too, in tears. What struck me more than anything was that in the face of a horrible, unimaginable tragedy, so many people banded together and worked on faith, hope, guts and spirit to save others' lives and to help try locate one another, and get people to safety. When each firefighter returned to the station alive, they all embraced. The citizens cheered the exhausted firefighters as they walked back to the station- even though in the first 24 hours of rescue efforts they only pulled out one person alive... they did not feel like heroes that day- but they were.

When they carried the chaplain to the church after finding him (the first official casualty from the attacks) I could not stop crying.

I will never forget where I was that day either. I remember waiting in line for 6 hours to donate blood at the Red Cross after work that day. So many people were out to help in any way possible. I felt a comraderie with people I didn't even know as we banded together in the face of such unimaginable loss.

My prayers go out to all who are affected to this day and every day by this tragedy.

image removedimage removed

I will never forget the day of September 11th. I couldn't believe what I was seeing as the news reports rolled in. I couldn't imagine what those people went through. I hope - in fact, I strongly feel - they are in a better place now, where such pain and tragedy is non-existent.

And I'll never forget September 12th, either...and the weeks that followed when for a time, our country was united, and a great deal of the world was sincerely suffering along with us. Someone mentioned the comraderie that they saw afterwards...I saw that, too...that feeling of brotherhood and genuine concern for each other.

While times have changed, I do believe that brief period should give us all hope that when the worst occurs, humanity's first instinct is to work together to overcome it.

Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer,

But I'm not the only one.

I hope someday you'll join us,

And the world will live as one.

- John Lennon

i remember I was at the gym when I watched the second tower getting hit by the airplane. It was so surreal - It was like watching a science fiction movie on TV or something. It didn't feel real at all... The enormity of the attacks and the loss of life was just too overwhelming.

About 10 days after the attack, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart resumed its show, and the following monologue is the first show following the 9/11 attacks:

link removed

I totally cry whenever I think of him giving this monologue, it's very touching. espeically at the end, where he talks about how he used to see the twin towers from his Manhattan apartment... but now that they're gone, the Statue of Liberty is his new view.

I'm still emotionally drained from the Katrina anniversary, so I've been avoiding most of the memorial coverage, however, CNN's website (link removed) is showing the feed that they had on for the first 3 hours after the first plane hit. I watched for a little while, and it was so hard to watch all over again. If you go to their website, click on "9/11/01 As It Happened" and a streaming video will start.

I lived mere blocks away from LAX, and it was STRANGE for it to be completely silent in my area. Not seeing or hearing planes for the next several weeks was just bizarre.

God bless the loved ones of the victims of that day.

I just want to remind you all that this thread is to remember the victims of 9/11, not to start a political topic or controversy. there are other forums out there for that, if that is a debate you want to start.

sorry, I'll keep the debate in the other threads, but I wanted to remember what I really feel needs to be remembered, that's all.

Since we rarely get a chance to see another country's editorial about the USA.

This is also true according to, link removed

Read this excerpt from a Romanian Newspaper. The article was written by Mr. Cornel Nistorescu and published under the

title "C"ntarea Americii, meaning "Ode To America") in the Romanian newspaper Evenime ntulzilei "The Daily Event" or "News of the Day".

Orig. Print Date was Fri, 08 Sep 2001

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

~An Ode to America~

Why are Americans so united? They would not resemble one another even if

you painted them all one color! They speak all the languages of the world

and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations and religious beliefs.

Still, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand

put on the heart.

Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the army, or the secret service

that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank

accounts. Nobody rushed out onto the streets nearby to gape about. Instead

the Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand.

After the first moments of panic, they raised their flag over the smoking

ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colors of the national

flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on

every car a government official or the president was passing.

On every occasion, they started singing: "God Bless America!" I watched

the live broadcast and rerun after rerun for hours listening to the story

of the guy who went down one hundred floors with a woman in a wheelchair

without knowing who she was, or of the Californian hockey player, who gave

his life fighting with the terrorist and prevented the plane from hitting a

target that could have killed other hundreds or thousands of people.

How on earth were they able to respond united as one human being?;

Imperceptibly, with every word and musical note, the memory of some turned

into a modern myth of tragic heroes. And with every phone call, millions

and millions of dollars were put into a collection aimed at rewarding not a

man or a family, but a spirit, which no money can buy.

What on earth can unite the Americans in such a way? Their land? Their

history? Their economic Power? Money? I tried for hours to find an

answer, humming songs and murmuring phrases with the risk of sounding

commonplace, I thought things over, I reached but only one conclusion...

Only freedom can work such miracles.

Cornel Nistorescu

Evenime ntulzilei

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I remember my second cousin, who I never got to spend time with after he moved far away. He was in the top floors, and couldn't escape, so he called his sister to say goodbye.

I hope that all the victims, wherever they are in Heaven, will implore God to bless us all with peace and life and love.

Let all those who worship death, who rejoice when innocent people are killed, who send their children strapped with explosives, and who continue to threaten us with more death, be thwarted. May they vanish and let no one be counted among them.

May all those who bring joy, who sing songs and write poems, who visit the sick and tell jokes, who put out fires and light great lights, be blessed and ever successful in illuminating the world. And let us all be counted among them.

I remember when the towers where attacked, I was geting ready to go to work. All I did was sit down and wach the 2nd plane hit. The only thing that was going through my mind was "this cant be happing". I will all ways remember that day. One of my best friends lost his life in Iraq he was killed on my birthday. I just what to say that every one that lost there life that day and during the 2 wars after they are the heros in my mind. I am becoming a police officer becouse of them.

Please also remember the American, British, Australian, and other coalition servicmen who died protecting us in Afghanistan and Iraq. They now guard the gates of Heaven.

Rest in peace brothers; your war is over now.

Luck of the Irish, as Annie stated, this is a thread about remembering the victims of 9/11.

That's another day of infamy. May all those rest in peace, esp. those who die helping the people trapped in the buildings. If I remember clearly, on Sep. 11, 2001, that on, I was 14 and it was only a month after starting my freshman year of high school. I was having lunch with my friends, one of them told me "So you heard about the bombing in New York, the towers went down". I was like "Huh, what towers, what you talking about"? Anyways we went to the library where the news was passed and when I first saw how the plane went inside one of the towers, I was thinking I was watching a movie and it took me almost a minute to realize it was really happening. Then I was "Damn, all those all stuck there and are dying, thorwing themselves".