Goodbye Love & Romance. It was nice not knowing you!

I give up. Faith and hope, with a prayer here and there sprinkled in between, has not worked. In light of recent events I've doubled my efforts and wound up with the same miserable results. I am tired of fighting a losing battle. I realize that in order to attract the opposite sex, I need some sort of attractive thingamajig that obviously I do not have nor will I have. I also love this shroud they call confidence that, when you think about it, still needs physical attraction to make it work. I see it all around me. The Good Lookers get the girls. I give up. I tried my best to look my best and the end result is an ugly guy trying to look good, not a good looking guy. All for naught.

I am putting my sense of humor on eBay in the next few days for those who want it, since I have no use for it. Free shipping and handling.

From this day forward, I give up on those two miserable myths called Love and Romance. Screw 'em both.

We all find ourselves at a crossroad. We wonder if we shall ever find it and if we should give up hope forever. But you shouldn't. You can't see the future and that's a good thing. You never know what will happen in life and it could still happen. You're alive, aren't you? Then there is still a chance. Just take a break right now, but please, don't give up.

Well, in my experience (as a female, no less), the FUNNY guys also get the gals, and YOU ARE ONE FUNNY GUY! I know your post was fueled by feelings of negativity, but honestly, it's hilariously written and I absolutely LOVE the title.

Don't give up just yet, my friend. I hate to tell you, but that's usually the point when love comes a'knockin'.

I'm bummed, M.

Whatever sparked this, I'm sorry it could happen to such a guy.

You deserve the full big slice of life more than wimps like me.

I hope this isn't really more than a bad setback. We all get our turn in the barrel. Hopefully we also get some time in the sunshine.

I am sorry for how things have worked out for you Kyoshiro. However, if all you have been using is faith, prayers, and hope then there is good news, those things alone never ever work (at least in my opinion). You have to make it happen for yourself. Of course you probably know that and have done so with your most sincere efforts right (I mean besides the praying and whatnot)? Please dont give up, you are only 33. You have probably had horrible heartbreaks that have pounded you into submission. Dont you think you might regret ending your search in 20 years though? Maybe you should just take a recess instead, there are good people out there. My (young) heart goes out to you.

faith, prayers, and hope then there is good news, those things alone never ever work (at least in my opinion). You have to make it happen for yourself.

I sort of disagree, prayer is the only thing that ever works in my life. However, I believe you have to pray for God to lead you the right path, to give you the courage to take actions that normally intimidate you, etc. Don't just ask for someone to drop out of the sky, but ask God to lead you to those opportunities where you will meet the right person for you.

Uh oh. The avatar is serious this time.

What happened? Tell us about it, if you like.

Whatever it is, I'm sorry things are looking so grim you'd consider selling your sense of humour. You do know there are people like me who are desperate enough to acquire that slippery quality known as 'funny' that we'd actually send you money, right?

I know you're not too pleased with us wimmins right now, but we need more men like you. Don't give up.

Lol oh... sympathies retracted, for some reason I assumed things were going wrong when I read the sentence "prayer is the only thing that works in my life", as if everything else you tried DIDNT work, so you can see where I was misled.

Ah, I see. And I could have clarified myself better, too. What I mean is that I have learned that when life really weighs me down, when I'm in pain over problematic issues, when everything seems out of control...it's when I pray for guidance and help that things ultimately turn out for the better, often beyond what I hoped for. Sometimes, you just have to let go and let God.

• 11 months later...

What I'd like to say in this situation - while you were concerned all your life to find love, you may have missed so much things that could have lead you to it... It's not too late for great activities and plans for the future... You can achieve something enourmous!!!

This post got me thinking. What did people do hundreds of years ago when looking for love? I think that it just happens. The more you worry about not finding love, the more you'll convince yourself it'll never happen. Take it easy! I think you're trying to hard and I think you're expecting yourself to fail at finding love and that you're not worthy of love. I'm guessing you're still young so go out and enjoy your life! Stop worrying so much because you're missing out on the good opportunities that are there today!

I'm telling you this cos I'm the same and I have to let go and let love find me. I don't think many people in this world never find love. Give up on love and romance for now and concentrate on you and have fun with your life.

Make the most of every day. I know you will find love one day, but you gotta believe you're worth it.

I thought I wrote the first post in this topic...

I've had my share of "give up" topics too. But, as long as I live, I'll probably never truly give up. Not sure why; probably stubbornness. But it's how I am. I am too strong-willed to back down and let life win.

I firmly believe that life needs to be grabbed by the neck, choked dizzy, then beaten into subjection until it is the way YOU want it. If you let life walk all over you, it will. So take a stand, crack your knuckles and grab that son of a ***** by the throat and don't let go until you get exactly what you want!

I thought I wrote the first post in this topic...

I've had my share of "give up" topics too. But, as long as I live, I'll probably never truly give up. Not sure why; probably stubbornness. But it's how I am. I am too strong-willed to back down and let life win.

I firmly believe that life needs to be grabbed by the neck, choked dizzy, then beaten into subjection until it is the way YOU want it. If you let life walk all over you, it will. So take a stand, crack your knuckles and grab that son of a ***** by the throat and don't let go until you get exactly what you want!

Thats exactly it!

Take it easy! I think you're trying to hard and I think you're expecting yourself to fail at finding love and that you're not worthy of love. I'm guessing you're still young so go out and enjoy your life! Stop worrying so much because you're missing out on the good opportunities that are there today!

True, one may be trying to hard at the wrong thing at least. You do indeed have to "try hard", but not at being desperate (not that I am implying anyone in here has been ). What you need to try hard to do is make yourself into a high quality person. That is true for lots of reasons, many people will cite the most important one as being how you view yourself. Humans are self esteem detectors, and nobody wants to be with someone who thinks low of themselves. People want to be with people who they think are great and can make their life and them great too!

So its a vicious bit of a cycle: you are unhappy because you have no lovelife and you have no lovelife because you are unhappy. Slip a tangent in there, and find happiness first, I think it is the only way. If people see that you are passionate about the things in yourlife, that you are an admirable person in many areas of life then things will come.

Visualizing then pretending then actually trying to become a happier more confident you can get you where you want as well. Example: for me I literally think about what I want my Looks, value, emotional connections, goals, authenticity, and self worth to be and try to fit that standard with blinders on to if others are looking or not. Dont give up, it will just make you more unhappy... probably. Good luck

It's easy to give up but you should keep on fighting until your six feet deep. Yes, it can be discouraging and depressing with no results to show for but don't throw in the towel yet. Being unhappy and negative won't increase your chances neither. Your attitude needs to change first: positive outlook. She'll show up someday so don't say boo-bye so soon. Good luck.

She'll show up someday.

For a time, I thought that was true. Someone told me this in my first year of college, and I heard it at least five times a year after that. For 16 years I've heard it and for the first ten, I actually fell for it. But when you realize that she'll show up in about 16 years, then you realize that she isn't going to show up at all. And it's not like I missed my chances. Before I wrote this post, I thought back to ALL the girls I have encountered and which one did I miss my boat with. The only answer I came up with was in 2003, when I wanted to talk to a girl at work but was too shy to. I found out later she was engaged. There was a girl immediately afterwards... but she got pregnant. So no one has popped into my life since I heard the positive affirmation in 1991. So I don't expect them to show up now if they kept me a waiting, lonely, tortured soul.

So you feel your singleness has nothing to do with being shy or inactive with women? Okay. So you've got no regrets from not asking out women you've fancied? Somehow, I don't believe that.

But the important thing is that you've learned from your past mistakes, right?