I quit smoking as of today. I had to admit to myself i am addicted to nicotine, and i no longer wnat to smoke, and i am tired of smelling like an ashtray, and being winded from less streneous activities. Plus the cost of cigarettes are just ridiculous.

Each day i will try to log here as many times as needed to help me get throught his. Any enotaloners who are in the process of quitting, or thinking about quitting, or who have quit please feel free to post. If you need to vent, support, or share your struggle, please feel free to add your words along with mine. (You dont have to be a smoker or non smoker in order to post. If you know of any stories of people who quit nicotine please shar ethose as well)

Day 1. I been wanting to quit for a short time now. I feel the negative symptoms nictoine addiction has had on my body. I use to believe i enjoyed it, but what it is actually an addiction. It is going to take a strong will for me to break this habit. So hopefully i can get through this this time. I am actually thinking of a cigarette right now. But i have none, and lucky me has a co worker who recently quit as well. It is ony 9:41 a.m. a long way to the end of the day.

great job! when my husband quit he found link removed website encouraging. Also, he gave himself a nickle in his piggy bank everytime he thought about smoking but didn't do it, by the end of the week he had enough $ to go buy himself a small reward.

Keep it up, Brando. Look, if you're quitting cigarrettes, I'm going to quit caffeine and lemme tell you, that's a physical addiction too. I drink so much of it that when I withdraw, I actually get depressed, nauseous, and a massive migraine for 12-18 hours. But I like your style and I wanna suffer with you. Thanks for the inspiration. I could use a turning point in my life right now.

PS - one of my friends who quit did so by imagining he never had had a smoking stick in his life. He imagined he was MJ #23 (Michael Jordan).

Good for you, brando!!

Posting here will get you some encouragement and also make it more official. In time you'll wonder how you managed to keep up such a habit.

I quit cigs in the 80s after regular visits to my father in a cancer ward. He had a lung removed. It was a jolt of motivation for me to give up those delicious and satisfying Salems. Looking back, they tasted awful, but I was hooked.

Best of luck to you. You can certainly do this.

That's such a great decision you have made. I'm happy for you!

I have not been through it myself because I'm a non-smoker... but I can still cheer:

GOOOOOOOO Brando!

A lot of quitters I know say "cold turkey" is best- but if you feel like you might need some support like gum/patch....don't be afraid to start that way.....

BellaDonna

I quit in February when I turned 26, realised I had been smoking for 10 years and needed to stop. At first I found myself getting really stressed out and angry and at one point in tears because I wanted a cigarette so badly and you know all these months later its still hard, when i have a drink especially but I would recommend you read the book "easyway to stop smoking" by Alan Carr its amazing, it doesnt take away the craving, it takes away the need and the want. EXCELLENT.

Good luck

Yay Brando!

I am really glad you are making this decision...just work hard at it...it won't be easy!

My brother had to try quiting a few times before he did (on average it can take 3 tries) but I think the most important part is to be truly wanting it, and resolved to quit. He did finally end up doing it with some medication help, as he tended to turn to smoking in times of great anxiety and a mild anti-depressant helped him. But, what works for everyone is different.

My grandfather quit cold turkey when my grandmother got cancer (unfortunately he died about 15 years later of lung cancer but that was partly due to working in mines as a kid, not just smoking..).

My father quit many years ago....by substituting tootsie roll pops for cigarettes....but chews Skol now instead...sigh...so....hmm, not a great example.

Good luck, and I am cheering for you!!

Great decision Brando - I am still in the quitting process myself. I actually quit for a couple weeks until life started getting whacko on me and I kind of started again - but i bought a pack of cigs for a friend at work that smokes and so she just gives them to me at work when i need them.

I have faith that you can do it - it takes a lot of determination and willpower but just keep telling yourself smoking is not an option and you will get through it

good luck

It's easier if you think of it as liberating yourself from smoking. Face it, smoking is actually kind of a hassle sometimes. Looking for lighters, worrying that you didn't but out a ciggie properly after you've left the home, running down to the store and buying them (ugh hugely expensive) and worst of all, smelling like crap all the time. I didn't know how bad it smelled until after I quit and I smelled someone else - yuch.

Face it though, you're going to miss it - it can be comforting and "rewarding" (there's nothing like a smoke break after doing a bunch of unpleasent work) but in the end it's an expensive nasty habit that can kill you.

I chewed that gum for a few weeks, that helped a bit - gives one something to kind of "cling to" but whatever works for you. Most people I know who quit, quit cold turkey - watch out for the "rage" though. Accept that that will happen too and there will be times when you really really really really really really really really want one. Deep breaths, it will pass, everyday it will get better and you will get stronger.

Good luck and if you screw up don't beat yourself up about it, start again the next day and learn from what went wrong.

Good for your Brando !!! I admire your desire to quit. I hope and pray for your success .

It is kind of coincidental that I found your post about quitting smoking. Just as I was sitting here navigating through the site, I realized I have one cigarette left in my pack. I thought to myself I should quit right now once I finish off this last one.

A few clicks later I found your thread about quitting. I have quit in years past for several lengthy periods. I started back about 5 years ago in 2001. I had plans to quit as my new years resolution for Jan 2004, but my husband died in December 2003 and my ideas of quitting went down the drain at that time. I still continue to smoke to this day.

There have been several times that I had given it up for a day or two at which time I was compensating with food. If I quit then I am going to gain back the 30 lbs that I have lost since Dec, 2003. I have to learn to find some willpower with the cigs and with food as well.

I know that I need to quit. There is heart disease from both side of my family. I currently am on blood pressure medications for BP that runs 140/ 90 without meds and presently I run about 120/80 ON meds. I will be 49 years old in October and am going through the perimenopausal stage of life , so I know that it is quite important to my health for me to stop.

A lot of my smoking is out of boredom, sometimes it a way to calm my nerves. There are so many times that I just put one out because it doesn't even taste good, but shortly after I end up lighting in back up and finishing it off.

I do not have anyone at home to offer support and understanding with the quitting. I have to go into town and run some errands shortly and I do not know if I have the willpower to NOT stop at the tobacco store.

Brando, you're right about the price, and the stink. it's no good, smoking. I actually quit about 12 years ago, but picked it up this year as a result of my breakup.

the last time i quit, I bought a pack, and i'd sit in my living room, drive in the car, or wherever I was, and puff on an unlit cigarette. I'd go through all the motions, except lighting it. I would take a big drag, pretend to ash it in the tray, and exhale, somtimes through my nose. i did this until I felt silly, or just plain done smoking on an unlit cig. it worked, i think it's time to look silly again.

Also, this time, i began a thought that associated cigarettes with my ex. that's a little tougher, because I'm still thinking about her sometimes](*,) . But i noticed that when i smoke, i think of my relationship with her, and when i don't smoke, I'm pretty ok with my mind being occupied with other things. go figure. looks like i have all i need , now i just have to break the habit, ha ha! of course that is all mental, i think.

One thing that helped me quit was my ex wife. She never nagged or even mentioned my smoking, and would buy me cigs, but I knew deep down, she despised my smoking. The lack of pressure really helped. Had she nagged me, I'd probably still be hooked.

I thank you all for your input. I am doing great so far. Just had lunch which is always a trigger... but im good.

Funny how i begin to think how many cigs i would have had already today...

Does this mean i need to give up my beloved coffee ???????

So many things that trigger cigs for me.

I need to maybe replace the smoking habit with some other thing gum chewing, or the suggestions you all posted.

I keep taking deep breaths.

anyway im still doing ok...

thnaks again guys

I thank you all for your input. I am doing great so far. Just had lunch which is always a trigger... but im good.

Funny how i begin to think how many cigs i would have had already today...

Does this mean i need to give up my beloved coffee ???????

So many things that trigger cigs for me.

I need to maybe replace the smoking habit with some other thing gum chewing, or the suggestions you all posted.

I keep taking deep breaths.

anyway im still doing ok...

thnaks again guys

you are doing great.

Remember there is no shame in paying yourself for not smoking, it's not like you wouldn't have spent that money on cigs anyway

Right on! Yay, Brando!

I quit ..um, how many weeks has it been now? lol. It hasn't been terribly long, maybe a month or so, but I posted it somewheres here at enotalone. I didn't make a big deal about it, didn't count down the hours or even note the date. Much different from my other attempts, where I was obsessing constantly.

I love coffee. Was drinking way too much of it. I noticed my consumption of that went down without even trying as I quit. I could taste the coffee better, so it started to taste gross after a few cups.

Plus, you'll start to really recognize how much of an upper coffee is and how it affects your nerves. Without the nicotine, you'll gradually become calmer. I no longer like that jittery feeling from too much java.

My tips: really pamper yourself. Spoil yourself rotten taking care of your body, and doing things you like.

Oh, oh, one of my favorite things about not smoking: I worry less! Yes. I actually have less stress and do not get as worried as easily. It was amazing to find how big of a silent burden thoughts like "I am killing myself. what if I get sick? oh no, where did I leave my cigs? is he (she, in your case) going to think I smell bad?" on and on.

Enjoy!

That's so great - good for you Brando. I have been trying to quit atleast 3 times in the past year. I know that I'll do it soon - with success. I second the suggestion of the "Easy way to quit smoking" best book I've read. Also, the website link removed is great. I've been reading it for a few days to get my mental state strong before going cold turkey.

Best of luck - and it's great that you are doing this for yourself!

Day three... I missed day two.

So i am still smoke free. I have had some moments where i thought i would go and buy a pack of smokes. But i pressed on. I will make no excuses, its funny how i start thinking different ways to control the habit, which i know in reality isnt controlable for me.

I again appreciate everyone who has posted. The support is needed.

So i am still smoke free. I have had some moments where i thought i would go and buy a pack of smokes. But i pressed on

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you take the money you would have spent on the cigarettes and put it aside to start saving for an exotic vacation or some other desired material item, so you can reward yourself in the end?

BellaDonna

Keep at it, brando.

One more day, then another, and soon you'll have days where you forget the urge. I agee with rewarding yourself in some way to have a tangible reinforcement, such as a hobby item,to distract you from your diminishing cravings.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

No i avent put the money specifcly aside as of now, but i am planning on doing so. I want to see the money add up before my eyes to see what i once had spent on smokes.

Again i do appreciate all of your support.

be well,

brando