So about a month ago, I made a profile on Yahoo! Personals but didn't join up. I get matches through my email about twice a week, scan them, daydream about "what could be" and then give it a rest until the next batch of emails.

But over the past week or so, I've been very intent on actually paying the monthly fee for a few months and trying to become a more active participant in the world of online dating. That is, instead of just glossing over the profiles of my matches, I would actually try and initiate some kind of conversation.

Yet despite this desire to want to sign up right now and start emailing people, I still have some reservations. I've found profiles for many interesting guys in my area, but I guess the fact that I haven't gotten any messages from them makes me wonder how me signing up for the service would change all that. You would think if any of these guys were interested in me, they would have sent me a message or an email by now, right? I guess another thing that's holding me back is that if this experiment doesn't pan out, I would feel like I'd wasted not only my money, but my time and hopes as well. I mean, it all seems like such murky, uncharted territory -- which is natural, I suppose.

At the same time, I've heard some success stories of guys who met other seemingly interesting guys online and so that gives me hope. Plus, from browsing through profiles (and I don't need to tell you what a time-consuming activity that can be, haha), I have this gut instinct that maybe some of these guys would actually like to hear from me, and that we would have some things in common (other than our location close to one another). Even if it didn't turn into a relationship, I feel like there are people out there I can be friends with.

So these two conflicting viewpoints, like yin and yang, are keeping me from making any actual headway into the online dating world! ](*,)

For some reason, I feel like this route would be the most viable option for me, considering that I'm not a huge fan of the bar/club scene and am more interested in making some new friends, going on some dates and (potentially, hopefully) starting a relationship. Are my concerns natural or exaggerated? Should I just give it a shot by signing up and emailing some interesting guys and see who (if anyone) writes back? Does anyone have any advice on how to approach gay online dating and, if it's any different from straight online dating (not that I imagine it would be, but you never know...), have any specific ways to go about introducing myself to someone?

I'm probably going to convince myself to actually start paying for the service in a few days (at least I hope to, hehe), but I wanted to get some suggestions/advice.

Thanks

This summer I think I want to try the online dating thing too. I'm not going to be in class so I'll have plenty of time to actually practice being gay...

However, I am a bit nervous about it. I want to make a good picture for a profile, but I don't want to seem overly pretentious...

I am so nervous about it because I've never dated a guy before.

Anyone got any tips for a newbie?

Hey Prufrock06 & Foxlocke! I think it's cool that you two are considering the online dating thing.All I have to say is be very careful with the people you talk with. Get to know them before any meeting is done. I say talk with them on instant messanger or on the phone for a good two months to see if this person is who they say they really are. That should give you time to really know this person & see what they're about. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding cool people but that's just me. I hope you guys have better luck!! I don't mean to sound like a party pooper lol, but just be very cautious when you're dealing with online people! It's so easy for people to lie & portray themselves as something they're not.

I agree with you on the picture thing Foxlocke! I have a webcam that I take pictures of myself on. I usually retake & retake until I get a pic I really like.It's like I get alot of comments from people saying that I am handsome or whatever with the picture I'm taking. But it's like will I look exactly like how I portrayed myself on the pic in person lol. I know it sounds corny lol! Sometimes I think I may disappoint them & I may not look as cute as I did on the webcam pics I took. I'm not a good picture taker lol. I usually come off looking goofy or weird in pictures, that's why I have to keep taking pics on my webcam until I get a pic that I really like & it's hard to do that lol!

Like you say its an experiment so be bold and make the first move and send out some messages, you might be pleasantly surprised. All people who on line date have the same anxieities but somewhere along the line someone makes the first move then, well why dont you be bold and find out!

Good Luck

Hi, I'm not really ready for dating yet, still hurting from being left by my ex, but i filled in one of these online things to support a friend of mine who was trying straight internet dating. I paid my subscription (approx £25.00 british money). As I said I'm not really looking for a date, but have now made email contact with a very nice woman, who I'm hoping will turn out to be a good friend, so from my perspective, probably worth parting with your cash for !

Hey,

I've met all the guys I've dated through the internet (link removed - FREE), which is 5 in total. Only one was serious which lasted almost 3 years but I'm only 21. I think the net is the perfect way to meet guys and get to know people.

Good luck guys, the nice guys HIDE!

I personally have failed miserably with the online dating thing. I am just like you, I get my matches twice a week, write a small intro to the women I find interesting, then either I chicken out or I don't get a reply back from those that I e-mail. But I seem to be a Female Repellant so that's my excuse. But for you, $20 for a month is not a bad investment to at least give it a shot. Even if you fail, you can check it off your list of things you've tried. I say go for it.

Check your PM box for a yahoo trick...

I dont reccomend online dating to anyone.

While your online looking for a guy to spend time with, a relationship, i can say that in my expriences, at least 70% of the people are only looking for sex. Or they alredy have a boyfriend/gf and just like talking about it.

It's annoying.

You'd probably be better off with an ad in the newspaper personals. They are classified and everything

never tried that, but it would probably work.