Is there any couples survive 5 years LDR?

I have not done it personally, but I believe it can be done. If two people are committed and dedicated to making it work, if they really care about and love each other, then distance won't end what is meant to be.

Though I think it is important that you do spend some time together in person, arrange to see each other as often as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Glad to hear that.

It is really a long term commitment that all LDR couples have to face.

We think it is worth because we love each other. And we understand all of us has flaws and we are not perfect. It is ok to show our vulnerbility and true self. We are working on it to keep the love alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It is great to know your experience....and i also experience some negative experience from friends too.

My friends are not supportive. So I rarely tell people that I have a boyfriend overseas.

I do hope both of you would make it...Send us the good news by then and give us more motivation to make it work.

After 2 months, I am still clinging to the hope that it will keep going as long as there is trust and mutual feelings. There's a "plan" which is that he doesn't plan on leaving the area where his kids' live. They're 16 and 18 and live with their mom. He's active in their lives. So after they're in college (a year or two) from now he's free to make his own decisions on who he wants to spend his life with and where. Hopefully I can be a part of that plan. Thinking about doing this for two years scares me - I do have moments where I am depressed and feel like I need to see him all the time.

I had a 9 year LDR. He was in Trinidad, me in NYC mostly. In that time we each lived with each other for a bit. So maybe in 9 years, 7.5 was apart. We broke up eventually. I think honestly the distance prolonged things that shouldn't have been continued.

I swore up and down not to get in another LDR. And by sheer luck, now my soon-to-be fiancee lives in Australia! I don't know what's up with me? But we're not prolonging this one. When you know, you know. We plan to be married and living together in the next year - that's if immigration doesn't take too long. And we decide on which country we're going to

There are reasons distance is necessary. Love can last the distance if both people are committed and the communication is good. But if there is distance with no permanent togetherness in sight -- not a good thing.

How does anyone deal with the time apart? After reading some of the posts I see that alot of you don't have it scheduled twice a month for example. I sometimes have a hard time dealing with regular down time (without my kids) but I can't help but brood over our arrangement and wishing it would change now. Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel but if I'm dying inside now what will I be like months from now?

Hi

Yes, that is a good suggestion.

Sometimes, we just miss them very much.

So I will engage myself with a lot of activities.

Like working long hours. Because when I concentrate on work, I will miss him less.

During weekend is really hard. This is the time when I miss him the most.

However, all LDR-ers have to be strong and try our best to keep our relationship alive.

My friends are not supportive. So I rarely tell people that I have a boyfriend overseas.

Most of mine aren't either. They tend to focus on the negative aspects of a LDR. It's real easy to say "I wouldn't do this or that" but until you're in a situation for yourself, you never really know what you would or wouldn't do. Negativity sometimes tries to creep in and cause you to question things over and over again.

My dear man lives in Ireland and I'm here in the USA. He's got family obligations and responsibilities I couldn't possibly ask him to give up and I can't tell you the number of times I've thought of ending it for both our sakes. We've been a couple since 2002. Trust and commitment is essential in a LDR; without that, you've got nothing. I find it helps me to think he's away at school or in a war or something like that, and many couples have faced separations like that.

I don't know what's around the corner; I'm just enjoying the ride and trying to not let the negative aspects of our relationship get to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think it's possible. Both have to be very committed to one another, very trusting of eachother, and try not to let the romance die.

E-mails, phone calls, texts, packages, real letters, and occasional visits are a must, I think.

But I really do believe people can make it work. Many have, and many will.