This is why you don't want to e-date!

PocoDiablo

As some of you may have noticed, I always tell guys to avoid internet and phone communication with a woman. Instead, you need to ask her on a date and get to know her in person.

Here's a funny example of what could happen to you!

MAN DATES GAL ON INTERNET FOR SIX MONTHS -- AND IT TURNS OUT SHE'S HIS MOTHER!

Friday December 9, 2005

By Grace Green

MARSEILLES, France -- Skirt-chasing playboy Daniel Anceneaux spent weeks talking with a sensual woman on the Internet before arranging a romantic rendezvous at a remote beach -- and discovering that his on-line sweetie of six months was his own mother!

"I walked out on that dark beach thinking I was going to hook up with the girl of my dreams," the rattled bachelor later admitted. "And there she was, wearing white shorts and a pink tank top, just like she'd said she would.

"But when I got close, she turned around -- and we both got the shock of our lives. I mean, I didn't know what to say. All I could think was, 'Oh my God! it's Mama!' "

Read the article link removed

While generally it is very doubtful you would meet your own mother (didn't these people figure out maybe they should exchange pictures??????) it is VERY possible to meet someone you have talked to for months and have them turn out to be not whom you thought they were...and that does not just mean "appearance/age/gender" but also just personality. People can always show you the best of themselves online, or what they want too...in real life, well the truth comes out.

I think online dating is a great venue, and I have met some great people, and my boyfriend through it, however it needs to be approached wisely. I would only talk to people in my locale since I was not interested in long distance, and I would meet people I was interested in (and they were interested in me) within two weeks. I met my boyfriend within a week.

What good is it if you get along like magic online, date for months, believe you are each other's dream come true, then meet and realize whoa...the chemistry is totally different, they really have terrible B.O., they are not nearly as intelligent as I thought, they really are selfish, etc etc.

• 4 months later...

That story is just wrong!! #-o

I think online dating is a great venue, and I have met some great people, and my boyfriend through it, however it needs to be approached wisely. I met my boyfriend within a week.

What good is it if you get along like magic online, date for months, believe you are each other's dream come true, then meet and realize whoa...the chemistry is totally different, they really have terrible B.O., they are not nearly as intelligent as I thought, they really are selfish, etc etc.

I agree, I think the online thing is a viable option for meeting people. But yes, I also wouldn't want to drag things out forever. Either you're going to meet or you're not, I don't really want to get too "close", before we meet because of exactly the reasons you listed: what if there's no chemistry? I've met a few guys online, and it's usually been fairly quick. A few of them liked me but i didn't feel any chemistry towards them, so it was good that we met soon, as it didn't waste anymore of their time than necessary (or mine). And one guy we did like eachother, but the circumstances were too difficult to make a go of it.