Should I go to college or work for one more year?

I graduated highschool last year and I've been working since then, but I don't make much and I want to go to college this year. My parents refuse to help and I have 2 options. One I go to college and find another job there and try to survive, or I leave my country (romania), go work abroad for a year, make good money and apply to college next year. I don't have anyone to ask for some advice and sometimes I don't know what to do. Please share your opinion and be kind, I could really use some advice right now. thanks!

This is a math problem.  You have to run the numbers to see what makes the most financial sense.  You also have to know yourself.  Are you going to be OK alone working abroad?  At 18 I didn't have the wherewithal to do that.  

I don't know anything about Romania.  Is there a way to stay home, work & go to some school closer to home for your 1st year or even take a few classes on line while you save money?  

The problem is that here the salary isn't enough. I work as a waitress/food server and the salary isn't enough in order to support myself financially during college. Abroad I can make even more money and save for college next year. And thank you for your advice, online classes are a good idea. And I'm 19 btw.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, butter1332432 said:

The problem is that here the salary isn't enough. I work as a waitress/food server and the salary isn't enough in order to support myself financially during college. Abroad I can make even more money and save for college next year. And thank you for your advice, online classes are a good idea. And I'm 19 btw.

Do you know what you want to focus on in college?

At one point I was unable to afford full time college tuition. I also needed to work to support myself. So I took classes at the local community college that would count toward my degree but it wasn't full time and the tuition was extremely low. I think I took two classes per semester. So I got college credits that would count toward my degree but I had enough time to also work full time. At the end of that year I applied to a four year university and was accepted and also received financial aid. 

I don't know how it all works in Romania, but in the US there are programs, grants and scholarships people can apply for. The university helped me obtain financial aid. 

Could you go abroad to work but also take online classes that would count toward college credit?

• Like 1

I would make an appointment to meet with someone in the admissions department of a college that's local to you, and explain your situation. They may be able to help you apply for the financial aid or help you to come up with another solution. They've seen all kinds of circumstances, so they are likely to be more creative than someone who doesn't know the education business.

• Like 1

Check with a local college about financial aid or a work/study program. I was able to get scholarships to help me out. I don't know what the system is like over there, but I'm sure they would want students to be able to get an education and would be able to help you work out a plan that fits your particular needs.

Where are you currently living? I lived at home and went to a college nearby to cut down on those costs. Would your parents at least be willing to do that much, or are they insistant about not helping out in any way? And why are they refusing to help? I would hope parents would be happy to see their child trying to get an education to help their future.

20 hours ago, butter1332432 said:

. My parents refuse to help and I have 2 options. One I go to college and find another job there and try to survive, or I leave my country (romania), go work abroad for a year, 

Start applying for universities online including those which offer scholarships and financial assistance.