A clash between my expectations and reality.

My husband and I are remote employees. I work from home. He has been working from home for a month. 

Nurturing and taking care of people around me is my love language. I have grounds to prove it: 

1. When my bonus kids come back home from tuition, I make sure I have prepared something to eat for them. I ask them if they have drank water or not (they forget to drink water, they rarely feel thirsty, and the eldest one hates water for no reason) and ask them to drink. 

2. I cut fruits, specifically those that have a high fiber content in them, for my MIL and myself to eat before lunch. I did the same for my grand MIL. I used to do the same at my mom's house for my siblings. 

Now, we have a work desk in our drawing room. My husband works there. We both work till morning from evening. My husband also forgets to drink water. So, what I do is I get up every hour and go to his desk to give him a glass of water. I also bring him fruits or anything else we have to eat. He mostly has earphones on. When I walk into the drawing-room, I make noise of walking so that he won't get startled. I get startled easily. I assume he would, too. So, I suppose he might not hear me coming. Today, we sat face to face, and he asked me to stop doing this because he thinks that I keep a check on him. He thinks that I do this to see what he is doing. This behavior of mine has been the same ever since we got married. When he took time off for our wedding, he used to play PUBG all the time, and I did the same, bringing him water and fruits and anything else we had to eat. Now, he works all night and doesn't come to connect with me at any moment of the day. 

He has been cold with me since last night. I wanted to spend time with him, so I went to the drawing-room multiple times and sat there for minutes, hoping that he would take a moment and talk to me. after all the efforts, I decided to be more explicit and went there with a glass of water, he was watching a video, and I hugged him from behind, and he said, 'what the ***' I apologized and get out of the room. 

i think he is not at fault here. He was always the same. i was always like this, wishing that he'd pay attention to me, give more time to me, talk to me a bit more. 

I am consulting with a psychologist. She is married, experienced in life, and someone I listen to. 

When he said that he didn't want me to do this, I said, 'sorry, I didn't know this is how you feel.' 

Even talking feels useless to me right now. Nothing can change a human. Can you guys suggest something that will help me get my mind busy? 

Your behavior sounds more like a controlling mother hen, that you know what's best for everyone and make sure, gosh darn it, that they'll get it whether they like it or not.

Yes, water is healthier than other considerations, but there's nothing wrong with other options like chocolate milk and there are some fruit juices that have less sugar than others. I'd just have a variety of options stocked in your fridge of food and drinks and tell your bonus kids that it's all there for them to take when they want. Stop serving them, as well as taking water, etc., to your husband since that behavior just might have him seeing you as a motherly figure instead of a sexy wife.

Like others have pointed out, what kind of life do you have besides catering to your family? If you don't have any days or nights out with friends, plus don't have a hobby or two that gets you out of the house without your husband, begin adding those types of things to your life.

Those things have many benefits. For your own fulfillment, and not putting all your eggs in one basket, since if you divorced, you'd be losing everyone in your life if you hadn't a separate support system besides them. Having an independent life besides your husband will also let him miss you, and you will have other interesting things to talk about other than family happenings.

Often, the best way to change someone else is to change yourself. That said, if he still doesn't make you a priority, ask for what you want. A date night a few times a month? Dinner without the distraction of cell phones and TV? Whatever the case, if it's a reasonable request and he doesn't care to please you, then he doesn't care enough, and then you have decisions to make if he's not worthy to be your lifetime partner.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2024 at 4:17 PM, Loka56 said:

I am cnsulting with a psychologist. She is married, experienced in life, and someone I listen to. 

That's a good start. What does she suggest as far as smothering and hovering for attention and better ways to create one-on-one time and emotional intimacy? 

• Like 1