Dating scene in Berlin

Hello everyone, I'm planning about moving to Berlin soon. I wanted to ask about some things about social life there, making friends, dating scene etc. I'm an extrovert and I'm learning German (they're not perfect yet), I've heard that Berlin is a city that never sleeps but I've also heard that German people are a bit cold. Why do you suggest? Also, how about women? Do they like Mediterranean men? Would it be a good idea to make a social circle with different ethnicities?

My best advice as a fellow expat is: you will learn once you get there. Don't worry about it now because no amount of text that you'll read will be enough to describe things on the ground.

Have fun. Make friends and acquaintances. And then ask/experiment with the dating scene there.

As for the city, every city has an area that doesn't sleep. Cities anywhere have good and less good areas. Explore and you'll see for yourself. You'll be so busy setting up your life in the first few months (finding/furnishing an apartment, working and adapting to a new job, learning cultural differences, learning how and where to pay bills, run errands, finding the best commutes, ect.) that dating won't be your immediate priority anyways. Once you understand better how the locals think on a daily basis, dating will get easier. Having local and expat friends will help you for sure. They will be able to give you better and recent advice once you land there.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

My best advice as a fellow expat is: you will learn once you get there. Don't worry about it now because no amount of text that you'll read will be enough to describe things on the ground.

Have fun. Make friends and acquaintances. And then ask/experiment with the dating scene there.

As for the city, every city has an area that doesn't sleep. Cities anywhere have good and less good areas. Explore and you'll see for yourself. You'll be so busy setting up your life in the first few months (finding/furnishing an apartment, working and adapting to a new job, learning cultural differences, learning how and where to pay bills, run errands, finding the best commutes, ect.) that dating won't be your immediate priority anyways. Once you understand better how the locals think on a daily basis, dating will get easier. Having local and expat friends will help you for sure. They will be able to give you better and recent advice once you land there.

^ I second this post in its entirety.  Nailed it. Great post Ch0c0. 

Having travelled extensively, I have been to Berlin (years ago), and there are always parts of any city which never sleeps, as there are places which are not so good. Since I've been there last, no doubt a lot has changed so the best thing to do would be to follow DarkCh0c0's brilliant advice above.  Explore and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also live abroad, OP, and have for over a decade. 

Wait and see how things go once you get there. Try not to plan these things out too much in advance, because you won't really know the reality of it until you are actually there and living the experience. You will then have a much better understanding how to mesh with your new surroundings. 

Connect with other expats, as well as locals. Join social and meet-up groups, and even language-exchange groups. Focus on getting to know to know others, and the rest will follow. 

I've never been abroad but my former roommate moved from Turkey fo the US. She made many friends in her English language class. She also met her boyfriend there. Perhaps taking some classes would help you to meet new people.