Should I contact the owner of a company I applied at and explain my situation?

I woke up today to an email from Indeed.com from the owner of a company here in my town.  They are looking for a product photographer/graphic designer.  I have all kinds of experience doing this.  I've had the same role in two other companies and I do all the photography and graphic design for my own business.  It's a pretty decent raise in pay, also. 

Thing is, the app says driver's license preferred.  And there were multiple questions on the app about transportation to work.  So obviously that is something really important to them.  And even though it said a license is preferred, there was a question about having a DL.  It was a straightforward yes/no question. 

I can't get my license.  It's a medical issue, beyond my control and something I can't fix.  I've been turned down for multiple jobs that I was perfectly qualified for in the past simply for not having a DL.  People seem to have this idea in their heads that someone with no DL just sits at home 24/7 and never goes anywhere.  I've actually had people tell me they would kill themselves in my position.  Like... an optional license is worth ending your life over, really...?  I've also had people call me lazy and say I'm just making excuses.  Trust me... if I could drive I would be driving. 

So, since there was no way to explain this on the app, and I see no way to contact the owner other than via email, should I send her a message and explain to her that I have no issues getting to and from work and that not having a DL isn't going to be a problem.  (I know I need to be careful in telling her it's a medical reason because then she might not want to hire me because she thinks I'm unhealthy and will call in sick a lot.)  Another issue is a lot of people assume if someone has no DL that they lost it because of drunk driving.  I've actually had people straight up ask me when they find out I can't drive if I did jail time, how long my DL is suspended for, etc. 

I have no clue what the etiquette is in this situation.  I haven't been job hunting for anything serious like this in over a decade.  They sought me out, I wasn't even actively looking and I honestly forgot I even had a resume up on Indeed. 

Thanks.

51 minutes ago, Cynder said:

So, since there was no way to explain this on the app, and I see no way to contact the owner other than via email, should I send her a message and explain to her that I have no issues getting to and from work and that not having a DL isn't going to be a problem.

I think it would be ok to do that.

55 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

I think it would be ok to do that.

I agree. You may want to consider phrasing it that you've never had a license yet you've always been actively employed and reliable.

This could address any possible assumptions that you've somehow lost your license. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Cynder said:

.  They are looking for a product photographer/graphic designer., the app says driver's license preferred.  And there were multiple questions on the app about transportation to work.  

Does it mention that travelling to different sites is involved? Most jobs don't mention a driver's license/car unless it's expected that a car is needed on the job itself. For example applying to Burger King as a server would be different than Domino's Pizza because a license/car is needed for deliveries.  It's a fine point because commuting to work is different than being on the road for work. Yes ask them. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Does it mention that travelling to different sites is involved? Most jobs don't mention a driver's license/car unless it's expected that a car is needed on the job itself. For example applying to Burger King as a server would be different than Domino's Pizza because a license/car is needed for deliveries.  It's a fine point because commuting to work is different than being on the road for work. Yes ask them. 

No traveling to different sites.  I wouldn't bother applying if that were the case.  This is for an online business.  They shoot everything in house and do all the graphic design in house.  That's per the job description.  So I don't think that will be an issue.  It seems like she is more worried about people just not showing up for work. 

5 hours ago, LootieTootie said:

Echoing Wiseman here. Jobs I have applied for in the past, if they asked for your DL it was because the work entailed some traveling.

I also don't think it hurts to reach out. As a hiring manager myself, I would see that as being proactive and taking initiative.

Good Luck, Cynder!

Right?  I'm a business owner and I hire people too.  I know I wouldn't think less of someone who did that.  But my normalometer has been broken for years and it's been suggested more than once that I am on the Autism spectrum.  (And I probably am, just never pursued a diagnosis.)  So I am not always that good at knowing what's appropriate, etc. 

I would probably apply and see if they show interest in me and my experience. Once they contact me and we are in communication, I would discuss it then.... because 1. they see me a viable candidate 2. I know I'm speaking to the right person (hiring manager) 3. I'm not making a weird impression to the owner. 

Reaching out separately with YOUR issue is not the proper etiquette. They don't know you. They may not choose your experience over other applicates. The owner might not be involved in the hiring.  Wait until you are in talks. That's the point of interviews, negotiations etc.

When in doubt follow protocol in a professional environment. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lambert said:

I would probably apply and see if they show interest in me and my experience. Once they contact me and we are in communication, I would discuss it then.... because 1. they see me a viable candidate 2. I know I'm speaking to the right person (hiring manager) 3. I'm not making a weird impression to the owner. 

Reaching out separately with YOUR issue is not the proper etiquette. They don't know you. They may not choose your experience over other applicates. The owner might not be involved in the hiring.  Wait until you are in talks. That's the point of interviews, negotiations etc.

I would not do this because they may automatically screen her out without a DL.  

3 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I would not do this because they may automatically screen her out without a DL.  

good point but that's also the point of listing job qualifications- to screen out unqualified applicants.

Its not up to applicants to decide they deserve an exception or explain away why they don't meet the preliminary criteria. 

As a hiring manager, I didn't want the awkward engagement with random candidates that want a job but don't qualify. 

It may seem from the posting that a DL is not so important, but it's in the description for a reason. 

Is it worth a shot to reach out? I guess. I wouldn't. 

33 minutes ago, Lambert said:

The owner is the hiring manager and she reached out to me first.  That's what makes this a unique situation.  

2 minutes ago, Cynder said:

The owner is the hiring manager and she reached out to me first.  That's what makes this a unique situation.  

oh! well, that changes everything for me.  sorry I missed that.  I would definitely explain the situation. 

good luck! 

1 hour ago, Lambert said:

good point but that's also the point of listing job qualifications- to screen out unqualified applicants.

Its not up to applicants to decide they deserve an exception or explain away why they don't meet the preliminary criteria. 

As a hiring manager, I didn't want the awkward engagement with random candidates that want a job but don't qualify. 

It may seem from the posting that a DL is not so important, but it's in the description for a reason. 

Is it worth a shot to reach out? I guess. I wouldn't. 

Sounds good- there are different approaches. When I applied to jobs post SAHM I did not explain my gap in my resume. I explained it in my CV.  Had I applied to a job that only let me upload a CV I would have found a way to include my explanation of the gap so I wouldn’t have assumptions made about my period of unemployment. Other SAHM had some description of the gap. I didn’t find that a good approach for me.  I worked as a recruiter many years ago so my response here is partly informed by that experience recognizing that technology has required rethinking approaches like in her case. 

• Like 1

I would at least apply. But yes, if they have put an emphasis on drivers license so much, dont believe its because of just work/home transportation. And that you would probably be required to drive either yours or companies car to various locations to shoot pictures. Because otherwise driving license wouldnt be an issue and they wouldnt put it as "preffered". Lots of jobs dont put everything in job description. But you end up discovering what you are suppose to do only when you go to interview or even when you are hired. Dont think they would care how you travel to work. But that its more convinient for them for you to drive and/or have a car on your own. So you could maybe do various tasks with it. Also dont think you should call and explain. If you end up going to an interview and if its something they demand or are bothered with, they would ask you themselves.

2 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

But yes, if they have put an emphasis on drivers license so much, dont believe its because of just work/home transportation. And that you would probably be required to drive either yours or companies car to various locations to shoot pictures

Great point -and reminded me -why would they ask for such confidential/identity theft prone info at this stage of the process unless there was a good reason like above?

On 4/11/2023 at 6:49 AM, Cynder said:

No traveling to different sites.  I wouldn't bother applying if that were the case.  This is for an online business.  They shoot everything in house and do all the graphic design in house.  That's per the job description.  So I don't think that will be an issue.  It seems like she is more worried about people just not showing up for work. 

They might make runs to the post office or Fedex or UPS if they send out print materials. That can happen if they work on deadline beyond normal pickup times.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

They might make runs to the post office or Fedex or UPS if they send out print materials. That can happen if they work on deadline beyond normal pickup times.

This is true.  I did message them and I haven't heard back.  So I'm guessing a DL is required and not preferred. 

I was debating on how much I really would want to go back to that work environment anyway.  My job now is the least stressful job I've ever had and I absolutely love it.  When thinking about the pros and cons the only significant pro was more money.  And money is not everything. 

2 minutes ago, Cynder said:

This is true.  I did message them and I haven't heard back.  So I'm guessing a DL is required and not preferred. 

I was debating on how much I really would want to go back to that work environment anyway.  My job now is the least stressful job I've ever had and I absolutely love it.  When thinking about the pros and cons the only significant pro was more money.  And money is not everything. 

I wouldn't write them off too quickly. Some places take a long time to screen, and some screening might involve trying out freelancers to find the right fit.

Money is not everything.  You'd posted recently you wanted more $ in order to feel more comfortable applying to a specific festival, etc.  Money isn't everything but there might be specific situations in your life right now where some extra $ would come in handy, of course balanced against what the job requirements/stress level would be.  My first 15 years of my career I chose $ several times over stress level/flexibility/predictablity.  The last 7 years it's been exactly the opposite.  It's a hard decision sometimes and not set in stone as life stages/situations change.

Since this piqued your interest enough to apply just file that away as a sign you're open to new opportunities in a significant way.

• Like 1