Diary of a recovering exboyfriend

Well rion, this all started with me reading your thread and really getting into it. Ive stayed on top of things with you all, and even posted on some of my own healing. Has been an up and down road. Today was one of the best days Ive had in five months...WOW, its been that long already....oh how time flies. I feel so much better these days, and I do not miss the ex anymore, and Im extremely greatful of that. I have found someone that really makes me laugh, makes me smile, doesnt NEED someone, and is happy with themselves enough for me not to be the "saver" of their bad lives. Tonight I went over to her place and hung out with her all night. I took her pc home to fix it because its sooo far gone for me to stay there for two days messing with it, so i offered to bring it back from its old age and livin it up. She has a nice young 6 year old who is good one minute a hethen the next...she has her hands full for sure! One thing that brings me to like her more so far is the fact that last night I was pissed at her for not calling me to go out, and today I figured what the hell, she invited me over tonight anyhow...was a great time...and I found that shes such a conservative woman as far as sexual aggressiveness and all that, shes more on the shy side and I think she wants a man to take control since she is the one always in control all the time with her son and her life...i hit the nail on the head with that one with her. she even admitted it to me...so i felt better after we got that out in the open. She will talk to me forever about everything, for hours, and when its time for me to go, it gets a little uncomfortable so I called her on it, told her not to be so shy around me, then there will be two of us shy and well be talking in her foyer for two hours waiting on each other to make a move...LOL. Well things are going great with us, and were definitely taking it slow, and its a change for me...first woman in five years for me that I didnt sleep with after the second or first date...amazing for me, and a good change for sure, much more respectful. See you all soon. and thanks for letting me post on your thread all these months rion. hope everything is going good for you.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, Perseverance! That's great news. I am so happy for you.

And Rion, thanks for the update. It's good to hear how things are going for you, too.

On the home front, the new ex and I had negotiated starting over with our relationship, so we went out on Friday night to a movie and then back to his house overnight. It was fine, until the next morning when we were talking and I asked him if he was busy Saturday night. He said "Yes, I have plans." I sat for a minute and he asked what I was thinking, and I said, "I'm wondering if you're seeing other women." He said that he was, just for drinks. I had no clue, and never would have stayed over (or even gone out with him) if I had known. That was not part of our understanding, at least as far as I understood it. I got out of there and drove home feeling like a total fool.

It was quite clear to him that I was upset, but I didn't hear from him all weekend. Last night I sent him email telling him that 1) I wouldn't have stayed over if I'd known, and 2) we couldn't pursue any kind of relationship if he was seeing other women. He replied immediately, apologized for his behavior and for his inability to make any kind of commitment. I then asked him if he'd slept with anyone else during the time we were intimate, and he said no (Thank god). So, that's the very end of that. What a jerk. It helps that he was such a jerk--makes it easier to be angry and walk away without any real regrets except that I wasted my time and energy.

I feel better than I did, although it was a tough weekend for me, with lots of tears, feeling lonely, feeling lost. Now I seem to have a bit more energy, and am doing what I can to reach out to friends and acquaintances.

It helps to hear that you guys are both doing so well. Thanks for sharing your updates.

I almost wanted to start a new thread, but I almost feel that anyone who read it would ask athousand questions, so Im going to post it here instead.

Today was a huge turning point. My ex whom I still work with as you all know (or at least I assume) opened up to me like I never expected today. We talked for nearly two hours, even had lunch together. We got things out in the open that had been eating us up this whole time. Thing is is that it took this long to be over everything and actually talk to each other without all that resentment and hate. She told me she still loves me, and she always will. That she totally screwed up things with me, and regrets it dearly. She told me that she realized that the grass isnt always greener on the other side, even though she thought it would be so much better with the new guy...now theyre broken up and she feels stupid and foolish for ever thinking he would be the one for her. She told me she was glad she could talk to me about things because it had been eating her up so much not being able to get it out because she hadnt spoken to anyone too much about what happened with us, only that we had split up because she wasnt faithful. I am inviting Jenny, the new gf to the christmas party we are having at work, and my ex asked me if I was bringing someone. I replied that I was, and it was a girl I am dating. When I told her that I could see the tears getting ready to fly. She told me she is not ready to see me with someone else even though she has been the whole time. As much sense as that makes...but it was honest at least. I told her that I at least had to tell her since she asked so she would be ready to see it if she wanted to go...I then told her that even though I am bringing my new gf, that it wouldnt be right for her to bring the guy she fooled around on me with...which is when she told me they are done. I just didnt think it would be right to bring him with all that has happened, but in no way would it be wrong for me to bring my date. We went to lunch to discuss things more, and it was refreshing to get things off my chest that I had built up for so long, was like a lingering affect on me, even though I had spoken to so many people about it, felt better talking to her straight up without worrying about how she felt about it. So all in all, a couple of great days in a row. Hopefully things will continue to get better. Ill definitely keep in touch here, because you all have my support, and I need it in return. even though things seem good for me, its just the beginning ya know. take care, and talk soon!

Glad to see everyone doing somewhat better than we were five months ago. Ups and downs are the way of life.

The ex came to get our son today, and she had been crying. I asked her if she was okay, but she said yes. I know why she was upset. She's feeling a small slice of what I had to go through for months. I know I shouldn't, but I feel bad for saying anything. I should have known better. Maybe I wanted to punish her, deep down. I knew this would hurt her.

I made cookies, so I asked if she wanted one. She said no. So I asked if she just wanted to leave as quick as possible, and she said yes. She could never hide the tears from me, and never get out of talking about it. Seeing her this upset hurts me like nothing else would. I just wanted to hold her, and let her cry on my shoulder, but I couldn't do it. She knows I put on a smile for her. I never tell her just how bad things are anymore. I'm still trying to impress her. I feel like a fool sometimes, but her tears give me hope. Alas, an empty hope of something more, some semblance of what was again. But sometimes hope is enough. If I lost hope I never would have made it out.

I thought about suicide, and lied to my therapist. I thought about cutting, and lied to my therapist. I thought about killing the new bf, but lied to my therapist. In the end I knew I could never do those things, no matter how hard it got. That would just show everybody I was as crazy as they all thought. That would be admitting defeat. I'll never do that. Not even now, when the dark is all there is, except for a slight pinpoint of light in the distance. That light is all I have.

Oh, rion, what did she expect? I know you feel for her, and still care for her, but the bottom line is that she still doesn't feel for you what you feel for her. Sarah is the first woman you've really been with since your breakup (I think, right?), so your ex is bound to be hurting a bit. Even when I've been the one to break up a relationship, it's killed me to see my ex with a new woman, even if he wasn't necessarily serious about her. I think it's human nature.

I'm sorry that you're hurting, too. I hope you can somehow give up this dream of being with the ex again--I know you have very deep feelings for her, but somehow maybe you two can transform what each of you feel about the other into a new relationship centered on parenting your son, as best you can.

Someone told me that the planets (Mars and Mercury) are totally screwy right now, which is leading to a lot of communication/frustration problems. Seems like that's the case for everyone here but perseverance!!

I'm feeling pretty depressed myself--very lonely, wondering how to be in the right place at the right time to find that elusive partner. I am not interested in just making do. I'm tired of this solo journey.

Anyway, I am going to try to be thankful on Thursday, when I'm with my family. There are a lot of great things in my life. I just wish there wasn't such a big hole there, too.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you--I am indeed grateful for your counsel and comfort.

I know Ediefy, I know. I've tried everything I know except fall in love, which nobody can control. Nothing seems to kill the love I have. There's still a chance that things could work. As long as there's that I will always have hope. Sometime that all we have, but it's all we need to keep going. Right now I need that hope desperately.

Whatever gets you through the night, rion. Hang in there.

Hey Riomcloud, perserverance, ediefy and juicyfruitmama, wow.. seeing your posts here makes me feel like I've been gone too long.

Miss you guys.. Great about the new girl perserverance.

Riomcloud.. I know you are upset about Sarah's reaction to what you told her.. but you gotta understand that's just human nature.. or maybe she's falling for you... That's not a bad thing, is it? To have a nice woman other than your son's mom fall in love with you?

I know you want your ex back.. but why not just give this new relationship a try? Emotionally, not just physically... If it doesn't work out what have you got to lose?

I met a new guy and we've dated a couple of times & it's been really nice... I had same feelings as you did riomcloud.. i just couldn't see myself getting intimate with anyone besides my ex... but you know.. life goes on.. Hell.. I think the ex has gotten married by now anyway.. so what did i have to lose?

I sure don't want to be pining away for someone who doesn't care about me.. I'm not judging you though, Riom.. i'd be lying if I didn't say I don't still think about him.. plus you have a child with your ex.

It just takes times.. I must say though.. i feel alot less worse about all the horse-pukey the ex put me thru. The new guy I have met is so much more affectionate and open than my ex... He actually kissed me the first day we met!

No... we didn't sleep together when we first met....

Heck.. with the ex.. i had to wait 3 weeks until after we first met for him to even call me for a date!!

I don't know how things will pan out.. but he's coming back into town next week to work...

He lives kinda far away... I don't think he would of told me he'll be back in town though if he didn't want to see me...

Right now, i'm dealing with some major health issues.. (I ended up in the hospital last week so I'm trying not to get too stressed about stuff)!!

Perseverance, how is your sister doing? I remember you saying she was going in for tests, is everything okay?

Well... hope everyone's Holiday and Thanksgiving is blessed and happy.

Riom.. i have thought too of doin away with myself when things got really bleak... Of course i didn't... I hope you will seek one of us out if things seem that bad again.. I could give you my IM if you want...

You know.. maybe your ex is upset about you seeing someone else just cuz she thought that nothing would ever upset your love for her.. Now she sees it's a fragile thing... and she can't go back...

You must realize that she always had the option of dumping her boyfriend and going back with you. I would keep your options open Riom and not let her derail your present relationship.

I think of you and your son often.. Hope you are well and doing good. .I bet he's gonna be loving this Christmas, as he's getting bigger... At least you got that out of the relationship Riom.. a loving son. You are luckier in more way than you realize man!

Take care: Fade-col:

So, now it's the weekend after Thanksgiving. Spent the whole day alone, except for a trip out to get a wreath for my front door. Yesterday I met a new guy at the beach, he suggested we get together tomorrow to watch football together, but I haven't heard from him today, and may not. That's how it goes, sometimes.

I am tired of being alone, folks. I'm doing everything I can--starting a creative women's group, maybe even joining Mensa (can you believe it?). I went on craigslist, too, to see if I could find people just to hang out with. I can't believe how pathetic it all sounds. How did this ever happen to me? I feel like some kind of bizarre old bag, alone for life in this great house and no one to share any of it with. As for relationships, after the last 2 or 3, I have wicked post-traumatic stress and wonder if I'll ever feel what I did when I was younger. That wonderful feeling when you look at your partner and you both just _know_. Haven't had that in at least 10 years. Geez.

Hope everyone had nice Thanksgivings with their loved ones. I was with my family, and that was a good thing. (I know I sound ungrateful in general, but I am trying really hard not to be. It is just so hard to keep my spirits up, and being alone this time of year really stinks.)

I am having a terrible day. I just don't want to do this anymore. I am so lonely, and I'm trying so hard to manage it, to connect with people, not to get discouraged. It's an impossible task, and I am alone so much of the time. Other people have other things in their lives--children, partners, good friends, people to watch the football game with. I seem to have no one, especially no one nearby. No one to whom I am really special. No one who considers it an honor to spend time with me. No one to share life with.

I met a guy the other day, he suggested getting together today to watch football--the game's at 1, it's after 11, and he hasn't even bothered to call or send email. The treatment that I have been getting from men is really wearing me down and screwing me up. I don't know how to just surrender to the fact that I am probably going to be alone for a long, long time. I keep trying new things, and nothing seems to work. I'm exhausted, depressed, sad, lonely, and at my wit's end, frankly.

How do people learn to live solitary lives? Because that's what mine is, and it's not what I want it to be. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong, or not doing, or should be doing. Spending day after day without true companionship is a terrible life sentence, and one I don't deserve. I'm a good, kind, true, generous person, not clingy, not overly needy. I'm pretty self-sufficient in most ways. I genuinely like other people, I engage people in conversation wherever I go--not the kind of conversation where people start to sense that you're desperate, so they kind of edge away from you, just short, funny conversations about whatever is going on in that moment at the store, in the elevator, at the barn, whatever. And I genuinely like myself, too, but not in an overly egotistical way.

My friends and my therapist say it's just the luck of the draw, and I seem to have drawn the short straw. They think I'm great--I know they do--and even the men that I've seen the last couple of years think I am, too, but for their own reasons they can't commit to any sort of ongoing relationships with me (or anyone else, as I understand it). I've examined my behavior as best I can from the inside, asked for frank feedback from people I trust, and no one can really understand why it hasn't happened for me. I don't what to do, where to turn, how to keep on going. It's torture.

And yet I am so lucky. I do have good, loyal friends (who live far away, unfortunately). I have a supportive family. I am in good health. I got lucky in the gene pool and have a strong, slender build, good cheekbones, great eyes. I am intelligent, well-educated, well-read, and interested in other people's lives. And I am grateful for all of that, I truly am, but there is such a big hole right in the middle of all of it. Every morning I am alone. Every night, I go to bed alone. No one particularly pays attention to what I do each day, no one asks me how my day has been. And I feel like such a whiner, but good lord, what am I supposed to do with all of this?

Sorry to go on so long, but I am so blue today, and, again, have no one to spend the day with, even though I have tried to arrange plans with someone. It all stinks. How can I keep putting one foot in front of the other?

ediefy,

what's happened with you ?

I got back from holidays two weeks ago and have just logged on - you were the one who gave me so much comfort and support before I left and now you sound in a right state.

Remember you are a strong, intelligent and beautiful woman and please don't get down. it is people like you who have kept me and others going. I know myself that the thought of loneliness and lack of companionship can destroy the mind.

What about your horse riding? What about joining some groups. As you were there for me feel free to vent anytime and I will reply. As for myself things are still pretty bad but I'll under my stircrazy thread soon I think.

Believe in yourself, love yourself and remember life is so temporary and short that to not make the most of it is such a waste. It's getting control of your ' beautiful mind' which is the key.

Tomorrow is another brand new and lovely day that you have been blessed with. At the end of the day what are we really missing about our exs - we weren't floating on air all the time were we ?

Hang on !

Liam

hi and welcome back--sounds like you're doing alright.

I am really struggling, as you see. i am doing everything I can possibly do to have a full life--I ride 3 or 4 times a week, I am looking for other people to ride with so I don't always ride alone. I'm trying to start a creative women's group, so I can meet some like-minded women and get together with them once a month. I'm still trying the stupid online dating stuff, but it seems to be a dead end for me. I'm in therapy, I get support from my friends and family, I take anti-depressants, and yet I'm still so alone in my life. I just don't know what to do about it.

Your support does help, so thank you. I hope things get better for us all, sooner rather than later. I'm really at the end of my rope, emotionally.

Unfortunately, you are in a tougher spot then most of us. I don't know how you do the NC thing if you have a kid together. It's almost necessary to get along just for the child. That has got to be tough. But, you definitely can get your dignity back. I don't like playing games, but you can just not initiate contact and only talkwhen it is returning communication. I really don't know how it will help you in the long run, but at least you will get your dignity back. It seems the other person thrives on our desire to be with them. Good luck.

ediefy,

I know EXACTLY how you feel - you feel lonely and unloved and helpless and just want a hug from somebody. It's what we all want. That's why you, like me, are desperately seeking attention and love in the harsh world of online dating.

I had a good holiday but the reason I felt better was because I was thousands of miles away in a different environment.

Now I am back in Saudi it's Hell - not wanting to bump into them, no social life hardly, having to make conversation I don't like to try and at least get some contacts.

The times I have been out have been disasters.

As I said I know exactly what you are going through and nobody but nobody except ourselves can help - and as you say we are too destroyed emotionally to do that at the moment.

I am completely split down the middle 50% missing my ex and 50% feeling not hatred but just utter disgust at her calmly destroying the whole friendship.

I have such a strong urge to write and let her know exactly how I feel about her it kills me - nothing to do with love, just feel so insulted. Life and friendship to me transcends any boy/girl relationship and I feel so rejected.

Am not far from going off the rails completely like you - it's a daily battle.

However, I am not weeping daily as I was 2 months ago and I am not constantly thinking about calling.

The fact she has somebody new eats into me like a burning sword.

Don't worry Ediefy and anybody else - somebody is thinking of you all before I fall asleep, and that is me. It's all up to us but it will take time.

As for being lonely there are many people who are couples but are even more lonely and also trapped. Maybe our exs will find themselves like that one day.

Keep writing and supporting each other guys and gals!

The rainbow will appear someday !

liam-

it is true that there are few couples i know whose marriages/partnerships i'd want. there are a few, but i can count them on the fingers of one hand. it's all about compromise, i know. but i can't even find someone to negotiate all of that with. dreamt last night of being my old ex, kind of as friends. he has indicated that he'd like to see me for lunch some day, but i have not responded and don't plan to, for the time being. i'm not in a good and balanced place, and i'd have to be, in order to see him. i really miss our daily life together more than anything. i was part of their family, and to have that cut off so abruptly and completely has been like losing a limb. haven't grown a new one yet. i'm sure i will, someday, but it's hard to be patient when there's no alternative in sight.

thanks so much for your messages of support. we've completely hijacked rion's topic here, but i'm guessing that's okay with him.

You're right ediefy - sorry rion !! (hope you're getting on nottoo bad either)

Well, at least there is a *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* of light for you if somebody is at least contacting you!

The loss of a limb feeling is so apt to be sure.

You know I feel so guilty when i realise how healthy and able and free of poverty and the like to be moaning about what is essentially one insignificant person on the whole planet, but the mind plays such awful, cruel tricks on you.

I am desperate for my ex to contact me but it ain't going to happen. Healing is just so painfully difficult and the loneliness and panic of not having a partner is awful.

Anyhow ediefy all I wanted to say was that if you ever feel really down feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to listen. I know you're strong inside and will survive eventually.

Geez.. ediefy, i could of written what you wrote myself girl,

"I am tired of being alone, folks. I'm doing everything I can--starting a creative women's group, maybe even joining Mensa (can you believe it?). I went on craigslist, too, to see if I could find people just to hang out with. I can't believe how pathetic it all sounds. How did this ever happen to me? I feel like some kind of bizarre old bag, alone for life in this great house and no one to share any of it with. As for relationships, after the last 2 or 3, I have wicked post-traumatic stress and wonder if I'll ever feel what I did when I was younger. That wonderful feeling when you look at your partner and you both just _know_. Haven't had that in at least 10 years. Geez."

I know just what you mean.. Gawd... why do guys string women along?

I don't know about the new guy now.. He IM ed on Monday.. said he'd be up this way either Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on the weather.. They are often working outside.. so if weather is bad.. they can't work..

So in his IM he said that he would call me to let me know one way or another if he was going to be up here.. Guess what.. sky blue day.. sunny as all get out.. i neither got a call nor an IM from him!

I'm getting really fed up.. He's not even called me ONCE since we got together... I went out and got a cell phone on HIS carrier yet, just so we could communicatte by phone..

I dont' want to get strung along by another guy... i'm not doing THAT well emotionally.

If all he wanted was a one night stand.. why didn't he say so ? He's IMed me a few times and I've called him a few times.. but that's not really much communication from his end by my opinion.

If he's wanting to keep me feeling he's interested in me.. he's doing a very piss-poor job!

Why does he keep contacting me?

I'm not out of the woods health wise either.. though i did go see a really good doctor i respected yesterday.. so i don't want to stress myself out.

I don't know.. we were supposed to get together and now i hear so word from him.

I am goign to take a walk up near where he works.. Don't worry.. i walk up there all the time anyway... If i see his truck.. then I definitely know where i stand.

I'm getting so pissed off and fed up though.. i about to send a IM to him...

Course i could call him.. but if he can't be bothered to call me, why should i call him...

I know i'm just venting here.. but I am like you ediefy.. i had to spend Thanksgiving all alone too... he never even called me then.. although we'd already spent the night together..

I'm just sick of this *happy horse crap.. I'm pretty girl, intelligent, funny, a good listener and good conversationalist. I jsut don't to waste any more time on a guy who doesn't care.

I think i have too much to offer and too little time to waste to go thru another replay of, "oh. is he interested or isn't he?"

Well.... I still don't really know if he is in town or not. I did take a walk today up near where he's supposed to work.. I got there rather close to dark though, so maybe they were there.. I got really sad on the way back to my car thinking of all the times he said he'd call and didn't.. I was crying a little and then this truck that looks like his drove past me really slow.

I am just fed up with this garbage. I'm tired of being strung along by guys. I know that not ALL guys are like this. I really do.. That's why I just feel like this is becoming a giant waste of my time.

I decided to go out tonite. I'm glad I did. I did go the the place we met, he wasn't there luckily. I think I may have gone off on him big time if I saw him sitting there and he never bothered to call me so that's was cool he wasn't there.

Then I went to this other place.. The music was great, some of my friends were there and two guys even asked me to dance. Some one even bought me a drink!

I had a really fun time.

I just don't want to spend any more of my time or energy thinking about this stuff, I really don't.

I don't know what to do if he IM's me again. I'm of the mind to either just not answer him at all, or just go off on him and tell him just what I think of his behavior. I'm not happy with it at all and I'm tired of being silent about it, cuz then "oh, no, Mr. Bill! he won't like me!!" lol

I'm sorry to say but I'm starting to not like him very much now.... I Really, Really don't want to feel this way about him...I truly don't, but he's not leaving me much choice.

I don't like being made a fool of and that is what I am really starting to feel like now with him. I hate to say this, but gosh, it's true.

It's just been too long since he's tried to contact me by phone. I just feel like a new relationship is sort of like a garden. If you don't water it, it's just going to wither and die.

Well, hang in there Sadie, Ediefy, P rules, and everyone else. That's all you can do, really. I could go one about time and pain, but you've seen it all here already. I can't say too much more on that that I haven't already. Just know we're all here to support each other.

Sorry for so few updates. Hard to update if there's nothing to really say. Everything's just the same old stuff. Wake, eat, sleep, work, repeat as needed. Me and the ex argue about money.

My son, however, is making us quite proud. He's getting this potty thing down. Not too bad at counting either. definitely the one high point in life at the moment.

I find myself looking for love. Not really meaning to, but doing it all the same. I'll look at a girl and wonder if we are meant to be. Honestly, it makes me a little sick to think I do that. I know how the world works. You don't find it, it finds you. I guess I'm not out of the "Oh god, someone hold me" stage.

Sarah supplies me with physical pleasure, but I need more than that. I need someone to hold and love, and do the same for me. And because of that, I remain miserable.

I haven't asked anybody else out. I'd like to, but then I think about rejection, looking like an idiot, and the fact these girls don't really know me. It worked once. It works for people all the time, but I just can't do it. Kind of sucks.

The nightmares have stopped for now.

Sadie, call this guy and leave a message saying exactly what you want and need to say. Great therapy if nothing else.

And, the thread hijacking is fine. lol I'm not using it much lately, so feel free.

Hi, everyone-

I'm doing better this week. Had a couple of dates with some new guys--taking it very slowly on all fronts. Met a guy on Friday and went for a walk on the beach with his dogs, then got a bite to eat. Nice guy, asked me to watch the Pats game with him. And then he never called me. I finally sent him email Sunday night and told him that he shouldn't have suggested it if he had no intention of following through. He wrote back the next day and apologized and said that his 91-year-old grandmother was in the hospital. Said he'd call me later that day. Nada. So, maybe his grandmother is sick, maybe not. But geez, is it ever going to go smoothly?

Thanks to you all for your concern. My best friend is coming for the weekend--I'm about to go pick her up at the airport. I am really psyched to see her. Hope you all are doing well--hang in there, Sadie and Rion!!