Torn apart between future careers

I agree with everything Snny wrote and wanted to emphasize "grueling" because you will find that the "wanting to make a difference" can struggle against "grueling" -bears some similarity to parenting in that regard. Reminding myself of my reasons for wanting to parent a child, remembering the blessing/winning the lottery aspects of it for me, personally don't always make the cut in long solo parenting stints especially when he is sick/getting sick (or is he/do I need to call in to work yet, etc) or trying my last nerve. And he is typically developing. I have worked with adults and children with disabilities but not full time and I know it is not for me no matter how much patience I can muster as a former teacher, or when I worked with kids in various capacities. So it's great you want to contribute in this way -we need more people like you!!! -and do not discount the grueling/grunt work aspect.

yes -- when you want something you can't quantify like "making a difference" vs something you can quantify "i want to help my local soup kitchen get two grants" "i want to foster one child" "i want to help my local shelter to open two more beds' - it can cause depression and burnout because its hard to measure "making a difference" because you don't know if the people you are helping view you in that way.

yes -- when you want something you can't quantify like "making a difference" vs something you can quantify "i want to help my local soup kitchen get two grants" "i want to foster one child" "i want to help my local shelter to open two more beds' - it can cause depression and burnout because its hard to measure "making a difference" because you don't know if the people you are helping view you in that way.

That's an interesting perspective - really gives food for thought. Also it's so important not to expect a reward like people appreciating what you do. Sometimes they are too tired to express it and sometimes they just don't. Many years ago I joined this volunteer effort where my job was to call a new immigrant to the U.S. on the phone to help her with her english language conversational skills. I was psyched because I could do this from home at night and I give good phone! After about three forced calls it was obvious to me she wasn't interested in talking -she was pleasant but it was very one sided. In that case I stopped -I didn't have the time to devote to someone who wasn't interested.

In another example I offered to volunteer by calling people who had donated to a particular organization and thank them for their help -that was the task I was given. I completed it and it went well and notified my supervisor, also expressing interest in continuing. He dropped the ball. I didn't feel appreciated (and knew I'd completed the task successfully!) and was wary of volunteering again when he'd ask for more help. But -- if it was something I was really passionate about I'd be more likely to put those feelings aside and keep going on. My job now requires that because my supervisors/colleagues are simply so overloaded with work that even though they "appreciate" what I do they don't express it, don't "show me the love" -and I don't let it get to me - I fight that feeling because the work, the contribution to the community, etc is that important. It's certainly something to consider as far as motives and expectations.

Is this in the US? My childhood friend became a biller in a year but you did 4 years not sure? My other friend wants to be an actor and is taking gigs in the city, do you have a portfolio ? Healthcare field can be exhausting if we need to work on our own too

I would choose stability because stability ensures you have benefits and a steady paycheck. I would do medical billing & coding and medical technician job as a back up or the other way around. Entertainment not so much. This is IMHO. I'm the more practical type.

Archived