Should I demote myself?

So, I somewhat recently moved into management after spending years being a server/bartender. The good is that I actually do get a lot of down time, where I am just observing, so it's not like I am running around stressing every minute. I get a consistent paycheck, which is way different from working for tips -- so that's good as far as wanting to maybe buy a new car soon and getting a loan.

The bad, is that I've taken a pay cut by moving into this position. Also, I am working way longer hours, so much so that I sometimes have to hire a dogwalker ($15/walk) on those days that I am at work for 14 hours. I still get 2 days off a week, but they are in the bad habit of scheduling me close-off-open so I can't even enjoy my day like I should.

Then, of course, there are these feelings of animosity toward the company. I don't feel like they know what they are doing. Training is a joke, both for managers and the materials they give us for our staff. Things that haven't necessarily affected me personally, but that I see with other employees make me feel like they just don't give a sh about us.

The staff drives me just batty sometimes. I know the saying is good people are hard to find, and I am living it every day. This position would be so much more enjoyable if I didn't have to baby sit, or jump in to make sure they are doing their jobs, or apologize profusely to irate guests who just don't want to hear it.

I don't care much for my direct manager. We disagree on a lot of day to day operations. And, whatever..sometimes I am wrong, and I get that. I need to start thinking more like a manager and less like a server..but I think there is something to be said for keeping your employees happy. You know, morale and employee retention and all that. When she is in a good mood, she's just eh. But sometimes she comes in on these b*tch -on-wheels moods and I spend my day avoiding her. I actually kinda dread when I have to work a shift with her. I've talked to some other employees and they also are not thrilled with her or working with her. Actually, there is a ton of negativity everywhere..

There is a plethora of other little things that get on my nerves also..

I've been trying to talk myself out of it, and give it another chance. But, aside from all that, I feel like I just need to make money right now. I could make more money in less time by going back to bartending. But, then again..I am in my early 30s and I can't bartend for the rest of my life. The idea behind going into management was to begin a steady career possibly. But, I don't think I see a future for myself in this company.

Am I being too short sighted by wanting to go back to bartending? Should I stick it out, be positive and try to work through these problems? The main thing keeping me is no longer having the security blanket of a second income since I broke up with my fiance, and also I will probably need a car loan soon.

Think of it as a open door that you have one foot in. This job however mau not be that great and the pay might not be that great either but will open up other opportunities at a higher level with a better paying position. Its a stepping stone really, as you want a career you will have to gaib experience in management or else you won't be hired as one. As you move companies and positions is that you always want to eye for an opening one level higher than you are currently in. That means going for jr. Management to senior management into executive positions. Right now you have the tools to be a manager, you just need to refine it. Also during this time you need to learn your bosses job so that you are ready when you have the opportunity. Thr hardest transitions in my opinion are going from is assistant manager to manager. As an assistant manager you have some wiggle room to think about your workers(servers/bartenders) on how they feel(morale), wages, environment and anything to deal with those workers. As you move up to manager than your thinking has to shift to the companies side of view. Which comes down to finances and the state of your finances of the company. As a manager you are no longer evaluated by physical performance or even performance of your employees. You are evaluated in productivity with finances. So your priorities change and it has to your you will not succeed as a manager. Its all about how much you made the company or how much you saved the company doing x,y,z. The big picyure chabges and you must understand that. You need to also understand why you have assistant managers. If your company doesnt have an assistant manager spot and you are inbetween the level of full management and server/bartender than you fit this roll. At this time gain experience, understand what management actually is and understand why your boss is this way. Most people don't agree with their bosses because of something is ubfair or whatever. Environment isnt great, morale is low. These are great for the employees but not cost effective. It doesnt make money and it doesnt really help the conpany. long story short, stop looking out for your workers so much and look out for the company. Find a balance to do both, at the end of the day you won't make everyone happy but if you make both sides happy a little bit then you are on the right track.

Well, I worked for a company that kept wanting me to take a management job, but I kept turning it down. I was a pure freelancer and most weeks I was the highest paid employee in the city, especially with overtime. Headquarters targeted me several times because of this and cut my hours. But they needed me so much, my hours would be back up to 60, 70, even 80 hours a week. But the third time they cut my hours, I had enough and left and worked for other companies.

But I would take the opposite point of view. I know a waitress who is near retirement age and she pulls in money hand over fist. And, it's a cash business, so what you report to the IRS is between you and God. And bartenders are always in demand, while managers are a dime a dozen. I've always been a mercenary and I've always gone with what pays me the most. And it's worked out fine for me.

So I see no shame in going back to bartending. There's a lot less hassle and if you're good at it, then you make a lot of money. I didn't need to boss people around or deal with paperwork. But, of course, it's your decision.

Well, I worked for a company that kept wanting me to take a management job, but I kept turning it down. I was a pure freelancer and most weeks I was the highest paid employee in the city, especially with overtime. Headquarters targeted me several times because of this and cut my hours. But they needed me so much, my hours would be back up to 60, 70, even 80 hours a week. But the third time they cut my hours, I had enough and left and worked for other companies.

But I would take the opposite point of view. I know a waitress who is near retirement age and she pulls in money hand over fist. And, it's a cash business, so what you report to the IRS is between you and God. And bartenders are always in demand, while managers are a dime a dozen. I've always been a mercenary and I've always gone with what pays me the most. And it's worked out fine for me.

So I see no shame in going back to bartending. There's a lot less hassle and if you're good at it, then you make a lot of money. I didn't need to boss people around or deal with paperwork. But, of course, it's your decision.

Being in management isn't really about bossing people around. Sure you do tell them what to do occasionally but the best manager is to train your employee so that they are able to think and make decisions on their feet while keeping the hour to hour or day to day stress off of you. As a manager the first thing you should do is train a person who can help you train others when you have new employees. You would have this naturally if you have some people who has been working there for a good amount of time and also is an excellent worker. The trick is to get them to follow your decisions when you make them. However once you get them to respect you and follow you everything is really down hill. Again from my earlier post, once you get your staff on your side you can focus on the main (big picture goals) for the company, making profit so you look good. Once you look good and get noticed you make more money with better paying positions.

Why not refresh your resume and work someplace else entirely? Also take some courses/classes to improve your earning potential. Try getting a roommate and better budget management in order to save for a car, etc.

I am in my early 30s and I can't bartend for the rest of my life. I don't think I see a future for myself in this company. the security blanket of a second income since I broke up with my fiance, and also I will probably need a car loan soon.

There are a couple ways to look at this situation. The first one is financially. Right now, you are making less than you were as a server/ bartender. Would that still be the case five years down the line? Ten? A career in management tends to offer more opportunity for..... opportunities! And money. As a manager, your salary would increase over time. Is the same true for serving? Would your tips increase over time?

Another way to look at it is quality of life. But some of what you posted is confusing and I don't know if I am getting the right picture: As a manager, you get more 'downtime,' but you work longer hours. That's actually a little confusing to me. Does it mean you're not as frenzied during work? You have a more consistent paycheck, but you don't make as much money--I wonder if that's really true, or if a couple great tip nights leave you feeling wealthy. Or maybe you do get more money serving, but have difficulty saving/managing your income? Because you should be able to manage a loan and/or a car either way.

One thing that is clear is that you dislike your direct manager and feel that the company is poorly run.

The third way to look at this problem is related to the second: Do you enjoy this kind of work? You call it "babysitting." But actually, these chores that you describe are a big part of management. There's a huge social element to managing. As a bartender, this should come easily to you. However, now you have to get people to do what you want them to do. This may or may not be what they want to do. This means you have to be a little shrewd. Understand what motivates people, and do not engage with their semantics. In the beginning, it will be a challenge to get them all marching in line. But it can happen.

I guess the question to ask is, what motivated you to take this position?

There are a couple ways to look at this situation. The first one is financially. Right now, you are making less than you were as a server/ bartender. Would that still be the case five years down the line? Ten? A career in management tends to offer more opportunity for..... opportunities! And money. As a manager, your salary would increase over time. Is the same true for serving? Would your tips increase over time?

Another way to look at it is quality of life. But some of what you posted is confusing and I don't know if I am getting the right picture: As a manager, you get more 'downtime,' but you work longer hours. That's actually a little confusing to me. Does it mean you're not as frenzied during work? You have a more consistent paycheck, but you don't make as much money--I wonder if that's really true, or if a couple great tip nights leave you feeling wealthy. Or maybe you do get more money serving, but have difficulty saving/managing your income? Because you should be able to manage a loan and/or a car either way.

One thing that is clear is that you dislike your direct manager and feel that the company is poorly run.

The third way to look at this problem is related to the second: Do you enjoy this kind of work? You call it "babysitting." But actually, these chores that you describe are a big part of management. There's a huge social element to managing. As a bartender, this should come easily to you. However, now you have to get people to do what you want them to do. This may or may not be what they want to do. This means you have to be a little shrewd. Understand what motivates people, and do not engage with their semantics. In the beginning, it will be a challenge to get them all marching in line. But it can happen.

I guess the question to ask is, what motivated you to take this position?

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. By "downtime", I mean that sometimes it is nice to be able to float while everyone else is weeded.

You are exactly right when you say that the potential for earning more is a reality with a management position, while my tips will most likely remain the same. But, remaining the same really isn't that bad to me if i'm bagging $20-$30/hour, which is very possible and I used to do regularly. I recently got an annual review and a bit of a raise. It equals to 11 dollars more a week. In the past 48 hours I have worked 26 of them. When I calculate my take home versus hours worked, it usually works out to about $11-$12/hour. I have heard many complaints from others in the company that they are underpaid or that they should have gotten a raise X months ago but it hasn't come. That makes me feel like it is not worth sacrificing in the present for a gloomy future.

I do also wonder if I am right for a management position. I have moved up "through the ranks" where I am now, so many of the people I manage, I used to work side by side with in the past. I think they respect me, but I don't know if they always take me seriously.

My old GM at the time encouraged me to move to management. He thought highly of me and thought I would do well. Did I mention that we had huge chemistry and crushes on eachother? So he may have wanted me to just spend more time with him to train! lol. I started out just "hourly" and then the regional manager sort of bullied me into going salary. It was a tough decision that I wasn't even sure of then.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. By "downtime", I mean that sometimes it is nice to be able to float while everyone else is weeded.

You are exactly right when you say that the potential for earning more is a reality with a management position, while my tips will most likely remain the same. But, remaining the same really isn't that bad to me if i'm bagging $20-$30/hour, which is very possible and I used to do regularly. I recently got an annual review and a bit of a raise. It equals to 11 dollars more a week. In the past 48 hours I have worked 26 of them. When I calculate my take home versus hours worked, it usually works out to about $11-$12/hour. I have heard many complaints from others in the company that they are underpaid or that they should have gotten a raise X months ago but it hasn't come. That makes me feel like it is not worth sacrificing in the present for a gloomy future.

I do also wonder if I am right for a management position. I have moved up "through the ranks" where I am now, so many of the people I manage, I used to work side by side with in the past. I think they respect me, but I don't know if they always take me seriously.

My old GM at the time encouraged me to move to management. He thought highly of me and thought I would do well. Did I mention that we had huge chemistry and crushes on eachother? So he may have wanted me to just spend more time with him to train! lol. I started out just "hourly" and then the regional manager sort of bullied me into going salary. It was a tough decision that I wasn't even sure of then.

Honestly, once you are management - it looks good on a resume and you can become management somewhere else. Sure, being a waitress might temporarily mean more money - but in the longrun - no - you really can't make more unless you find a place that has a higher meal ticket price. I would learn everything you can in your position, then at some point apply for another promotion or go to another company as management.

Archived