Why do I hate texting? I don’t understand myself.

Hi, basically I’m 23. I spent all of my teen years texting and using social media.

For the last 2 years, I literally despise texting. I feel awful, because my friends will text but I have no desire to text back or even make an effort to communicate with them at all.

I like sitting and scrolling aimlessly through twitter, Facebook and I love reading things online but texting makes me feel anxious, I can’t describe how it makes me feel but I honestly would rather never text anybody ever again.

My friend will text between 30-50 times in a 24 hour period if I do not respond - and if I do respond she wants to text all day, every day. She babies me and constantly asks me if I need anything or if she can buy me anything, she asks what I’m doing every 30 minutes. If I don’t answer she says “guessing your asleep, or chilling, or out with your friends. Hope you’re alright.” And she seems to want more of a relationship through text than seeing each other. I could meet with her and spend hours with her, but the SECOND I leave, the texting starts again.

I feel like this experience with her has made me despise my phone, and despise contacting other people. Am I being irrational? Please help me understand is this normal or not?

Millennials are texting all the time. I watched six teenagers at a graduation party stand in a pool texting friends who weren't there while hardly talking to the five other friends who were there. And no one was swimming. It was absolutely crazy. Kids are just addicted to texting, and like you said, they are not actually saying anything. The people who will make something out of themselves are going to be the people who don't text all the time but are actually busy doing something.

You're unknowingly trying to break an addiction. Your girlfriend doesn't understand because she's not there yet.

----------

Addictions without substance

These are called impulse control disorders and are the type of behavioral addictions. They are addictions to behaviors, such as compulsive shopping, addiction to technology, work, sex, gambling. These disorders have many similarities with substance abuse.

As with substance addictions, when we feel bad, tense or anxious, our behavior will eliminate those negative feelings and seek for pleasure. Therefore, you will be more likely to repeat this behavior. However, the levels of dopamine produced by the behavior are high but normal. They are not artificially raised, as with drugs.

It does not create a physical dependence and is not so harmful to the brain.

https://blog.cognifit.com/functions-of-dopamine-serve-you/

----------

Archived