Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Rude, noisy coworkers

Clemente21

Okay...need some help here...we have a gaggle of new employees...20 somethings and a 51 year old who has been out of the workforce for several years. The 51 year old is a loud mouthed blow hard (female) who knows everything. The 20 somethings are lazy and waiting for accounts to be handed to them.

Currently there are 5 of th group hanging by my desk just gabbing away (they have all taken their lunch breaks btw). I have asked repeatedly for them to go somewhere else and gab or quiet down (I have my earbuds in and am listening to music to drown them out to no avail). I have also asked mgmt to ask them to quiet down and go somewhere else.

I am not the old "get off my grass" neighbor but we have cubicles and I am trying to conduct business.

What the hell do I do? Go online and report annonymously to HR?

The 51 year old newbie seems to be the perpetrator and she is driving me nuts

Help!!!

Maddening. I can't believe, or understand, how people can be so rude, and just not see themselves. For them to blatantly ignore your request for them to move, and to observe your already wearing your headphones, this is just so upsetting.

Sounds like the 51 year-old is doing her best to fit in with the younger crowd. That smacks of insecurity.

I don't have an answer, other than to empathize. I would hate this.

Thanks. Funny thing is I have been nothing but kind to all of them! I am the ONE veteran on the floor who always is available to help newbies...to my own detriment at times.

The 51 year old is just loud and obnoxious and quickly wearing in the nerves of the majority of us.

Wont go to HR....yet.

Thanks for "listening"....

I will try to address the situation with her directly as she seems to be the instigator

Perfect, keep on being kind to them. You don't want them to beat you to HR.

You are doing the right thing. Vent here. Keep on wearing your headphones.

The 51 year-old is one of those people who has to be "heard". Guarantee you she's never asked a question of someone else that she didn't answer herself. Loves to talk over people, needs to be the center of attention, needs to chime in on every story, inserts herself into every conversation. Sound familiar? I have a few of those in my life. Ugh.

The younger ones will tire of her very quickly and will start to move away from her....and hopefully, away from your cube. Stay strong, sister!

I am that person HR comes to when I need to move or make accommodations for people like you and your coworkers. (operations) So I deal with this all the time.

The first course of action most HR/Operations personnel will tell you is to handle it personally yourself before you choose to escalate it and go thru someone else.

A kind but firm "Hey, you all. Love you dearly but can you please move this else where `cause I am workin' here!'" with a big smile often works. They will appreciate that it came straight from you rather then indirectly from someone else. It becomes a trust issue if you go around them without at least trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and talking to them first.

It's clearly not debatable that they are being disruptive to you if you tell them. But you need to tell them first.

A few thoughts, it may work if you take aside a few of the younger ones and just mention the gaggle is bugging you, using the kindness approach. Planting the seeds for down the road if you need to say more and more often.

Or just get an airhorn and interrupt their conversation..... OK maybe not.

A kind but firm "Hey, you all. Love you dearly but can you please move this else where `cause I am workin' here!'" with a big smile often works.

Unfortunately, in her first post she says that she has done this repeatedly. As the Ops manager, what would you suggest now? I'm asking in all seriousness, as this is unfortunately a common workplace issue.

Unfortunately, in her first post she says that she has done this repeatedly. As the Ops manager, what would you suggest now? I'm asking in all seriousness, as this is unfortunately a common workplace issue.

You're right. She did ask them to stop. (my bad)

Then you escalate it. . she can be asked to be moved or have HR speak with them.

It's never the popular choice but you make a choice to be the `nice guy' and endure or get your work done in peace.

Speak to HR. You seem to be working in some sort of mickey-mouse outfit.

Not a Mickey Mouse outfit...actually a very large company with locations nationwide...

That notwithstanding, the managers have noticed and I do know one of the 20 somethings has been written up twice for othet things...so at least I know they are cognizant of these lazy bums! 😊

I know that part of my being bothered by their loudness is a direct result from a recent serious concussion...however they have no respect for those around them.

Thank you all for the advice.....I am once again going to request a move to another cubicle and when the 51 year old returns I will have a one on one chat with her.

The "kids" I will deal with tomorrow.

And I will document my discussions should they not move me or if i would need to go to HR. Better yet, I will request to be moved via email!

You guys are gems!

Not a Mickey Mouse outfit...actually a very large company with locations nationwide...

I know that part of my being bothered by their loudness is a direct result from a recent serious concussion...however they have no respect for those around them.

I had no doubt you worked for a good company. It's not about the company you work for, it's about the rudeness of the people.

I'm so sorry about your concussion, but please don't place blame for this on yourself. Rude, loud and obnoxious is just that.

Hope your discussions go well. Keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

So...the offender was on another vacation (she started here 10 weeks ago...2 week long vacations in that time) and it was so peaceful!

Now she is back...but seemingly a little quieter. I did say something to second in "command" about her disrespect so maybe she was talked to about it.

Thanks all for your advice.....deep down I am hoping this situation resolves itself with her walking out the door permanently!!

Archived