I hate my boss, Im about to quit:two more months to go.HOW do I do it? Stressd!

The tag pretty much sums it up.

I quit my job on June 30th ( I have not told anyone ) BUt I will give notice once I receive my next paycheque.

I have basically got two more months ( 53 days to be exact ) to put up with it.

I dont know how how to make it through the day without killling my boss..she is so dumb and tightly wound, micromanaging me and I sometimes am so tired I dont have the energy to bite my tongue. I literally just bit her head off and had to sit through a lecture by the company owner about how to make this relationship work. IM either going to get fired for insubordination ( but I really get fired because I need to make it to the 30th of june, which is when Ill recieve my yearly bonus. ( I need the money tbh )

I am mentally exhausted ( Im a teacher, with small children ) and basically the kids are the only thing that keep me smiling. Other than that I am a zombie. I try to make time for the gym and something social but I am ALWAYS too tired because the hours are sooooo long. and this space cadet I work for...But noone knows IM quitting and I feel like a big liar whos pretending to care and I absolutely do NOT!!!!!!

Any tips for surviving the next 53 days without throwing a fit and telling my boss off so that I can collect my last paycheque ( whcih is money I neeeeeeed )

Help

All you can do, OP, is cultivate some kind of indifference towards the boss.

When you say long hours, what do you mean? Surely there are regulatory hours in your profession, and generally teaching does not go on for more than at most 7 or 8 hours a day (plus of course preparation for the next days' teaching).

When you say you are a teacher, with small children, does this mean you teach small children....

All you can do, OP, is cultivate some kind of indifference towards the boss.

When you say long hours, what do you mean? Surely there are regulatory hours in your profession, and generally teaching does not go on for more than at most 7 or 8 hours a day (plus of course preparation for the next days' teaching).

When you say you are a teacher, with small children, does this mean you teach small children....

I teach in Hong Kong. I teach small children english.

I work 9 hour days, 7 of those hours are back to back classes and the other two are for lesson prep and eating lunch.

Im burnt out, stressed and about to crack on this woman if she doesnt stop hovering.

IM cdn so the work load, and standards here are a bit different.

I basically just have to bite the bullet and keep my mouth shut. but I am scared I cant hol it all in untill i get my last pay ( did I mention I need my last paycheque ;P )

Don't know what cdn means.

So I take it a 45 hour week? Well, that is not unusual in the teaching profession although generally there would be breaks between times.

I am thinking this is yet another "language academy", and that you went abroad from wherever to Hong Kong to teach. Even in this country and in Europe the language academies (and anyone can set one up) are real slave drivers.

I hope you can stick it out for the money, and then find a job, teaching or otherwise where the conditions and people are better.

Don't know what cdn means.

So I take it a 45 hour week? Well, that is not unusual in the teaching profession although generally there would be breaks between times.

I am thinking this is yet another "language academy", and that you went abroad from wherever to Hong Kong to teach. Even in this country and in Europe the language academies (and anyone can set one up) are real slave drivers.

I hope you can stick it out for the money, and then find a job, teaching or otherwise where the conditions and people are better.

cdn means Canadian...and yes, they are slave drivers..its crazy how tired I am but I want the money lol

any tips on how to cope without going on a rampage?

See a doctor or therapist about the intense moods and anger in general. You can switch jobs or bfs or places as much as you want but the rage will continue until you address it.

not rage that I am experiencing..and I am currently happy otherwise. (and single )

What is wrong is that you are over-tired Take and mentally exhausted. And IMO it is the job and the atmosphere. These places, or most of them, regardless of whether here in Europe or anywhere else have a very bad name and a huge teacher turnover. Also it is an entirely different matter teaching English to small children from teaching English to adults (who are keen to learn).

Just try to think that in less than two months you will be out of there. And could I advise to stay away from that particular sector next time round. Anyhow, why Hong Kong?

Perhaps you could sit down with the company boss have a reasonable discussion and point out that their attitude is not helpful.

All the best.

I hope you have some time off to re-charge at week-ends.

What is wrong is that you are over-tired Take and mentally exhausted. And IMO it is the job and the atmosphere. These places, or most of them, regardless of whether here in Europe or anywhere else have a very bad name and a huge teacher turnover. Also it is an entirely different matter teaching English to small children from teaching English to adults (who are keen to learn).

Just try to think that in less than two months you will be out of there. And could I advise to stay away from that particular sector next time round. Anyhow, why Hong Kong?

Perhaps you could sit down with the company boss have a reasonable discussion and point out that their attitude is not helpful.

All the best.

I hope you have some time off to re-charge at week-ends.

Thanks! I Wil definitely not be returning to HK for the next year..you are right..mentally and physically exhausted. I think that is where the frustration comes from towards my boss..she just keeps pushing and pushing and piling on and piling on. anyway..I will seek out alternatives

thanks again!

i could have written this post. All i can tell you is to write down all the reasons you have to stay at the job and read it every time you want to quit.

i keep a picture of my bills and my kid on my phone to remind me that i can't just walk out.

good luck to you.....you deserve better than this crap you are describing. trust me. i know personally.

i could have written this post. All i can tell you is to write down all the reasons you have to stay at the job and read it every time you want to quit.

i keep a picture of my bills and my kid on my phone to remind me that i can't just walk out.

good luck to you.....you deserve better than this crap you are describing. trust me. i know personally.

thanks how else do you cope? are you quitting too? imquitting in two months. I hopeyou get some reprieve.sounds like you have a bit more responsibilty than i do.. still bums me out tho. I think i will make that list

This is going to sound counterproductive, mad maybe even, but try to engage the micro-manager first BEFORE she comes to you. Ask her questions, ask for help on something - yes even if you know the answer and have been doing it for ages and this person is dumber than a box of rocks. Do this here and there throughout the day, starting off in the morning usually first thing seems to be the most effective.

This works because a) it makes the other person feel important, and if they have any anxiety or are trying to dominate you somehow for any reason this puts them at ease a bit that they matter and b) if it dawns on the person that they are now working they may start to pull back and avoid you, because well now they have to do some real work instead of just hover.

There's also the factor of both of you being friendlier and relaxed a bit, which helps so much you have no idea.

This tactic may not work perfectly, it may not work at all, but I've found it useful when faced with a micro-manager. Questions like, "Hey, how would you do..." or "I'm having some issues there, could I get your help on..." Granted they may say no, they may walk away, but the fact you've asked them for help makes them feel useful, it puts you back a bit in the driver's seat of your causation over the whole scene, and it might just impress your other bosses who say to themselves, 'See, she is a team player."

Do this if you cannot do indifference. And hang in there. If need be, mark off the days of a calendar until you quit and look at them. Also, focus on the kids as the primary reason for going there. I once worked an ulcer factory job, but I loved my clients and they needed help in the worst way. That kept me going for a lot longer than I possibly should have, but I have no regrets I spent all that time hating my bosses but continued to try to make other people's lives just a bit better.

Hang in there, you can do it.

thanks how else do you cope? are you quitting too? imquitting in two months. I hopeyou get some reprieve.sounds like you have a bit more responsibilty than i do.. still bums me out tho. I think i will make that list

my goal is to make it to June 30...i have some vacation i need to use up. and i want my bonus.

i am counting the days but i may not make it....i keep telling myself i have to feed "us", so i can't just quit. if i didn't have a house and a kid, i would live on the street before i work for this woman another day.....

my goal is to make it to June 30...i have some vacation i need to use up. and i want my bonus.

i am counting the days but i may not make it....i keep telling myself i have to feed "us", so i can't just quit. if i didn't have a house and a kid, i would live on the street before i work for this woman another day.....

wow lol we literally are in the same boat..well minus the kid... i think if you need to talk or vent please feel free to PM me..I think it would just benefit me to listen to you... Hang in there..hooome stretch as they say,,, and " watched pot never boils"...at least..just try and not pay attention to the ccountdown...accept your fate: that you will feel somewhat miserable for the next 53 days and then, closerto the date you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

heyI think I just pep talked myself as well

whats the worst that could happpen in the next two months?

" I am currently happy otherwise. (and single )"

The world's your oyster, Take!

Not long to go now. What's the contract like, or did they even present a contract?

yes im on contract and they will charge me a large fee for breaking the contract..they really are squeezing me for every once ive got, but alas..this is what I signed up for. deep breaths.

my mother would say two things: "kill her with kindness" and " think of the money"...

Archived