Do you feel like you have a mission in life?

I feel like I was born for a reason, but trying to figure out why that is just causes deeper confusion and sorrow. At times I want to be one thing or go to college to pursue another but other times I'm more focused on what I need to do to keep my g/f happy rather than focusing on following my own path. I've had just as crazy as a life as anyone else, When I was born I was on a respirator for 6 weeks cause I wasn't strong enough to breathe on my own. I've fought through health issues throughout the years, I've finally eating a balanced diet and can say physically I'm fine but mentally I have a lot of garbage stored within my brain. I'm met a lot of girls who have been sexually abused in one way or another, and part of me feels there has to be a reason why I heard their experiences and the pain they went through. Sometimes I feel life moves so fast, I barely have time to blink. I guess I'm just the type of person that has a really difficult time staying focused in the moment and taking it day by day. I'm 24 years old and wish I could find my purpose in life. So I could apply myself in a positive matter.

What if someone said that you had no purpose? Would you become depressed and upset?

Lemme tell you I am atheist... I was religious when i was young (1 - 10) going to church every sunday and whatnot. Then I started getting curious about the idea of god, which led me to stop having faith in things. I had a hard time accepting that, and I had a hard time realizing that I am not here for any reason, I am just a boy growing up in this world. I have no purpose I am just an organism here to do one thing: live. Live for nothing, because if you think the way I do, why do you have to live for something... it seems pathetic to me that people MUST "live" for something.

I stopped thinking about our existence and such because it too made me upset. I never really thought I had a purpose, nor do I really care about that, simply because I don't care about this world, it doesn't matter...

I am 18, so I have had 8 years of thinking about this, and finally I am to a point where I am stable (meaning I am no longer depressed about it), I accept it, and actually have come to enjoy analyzing it.

I dont' know where I got with this post, other than I think that its kind of silly to believe that, because you shouldn't have to worry... You believe we die right? well... then don't worry cuz soon this world where you believe you must do something will be left behind... and you will become mightier than this world. (well in my case, "mightier" can be replaced with "no part of this world").

I have stopped worrying. I accepted it. And I seem to have found my peace.

ForAnother

Your purpose is your passion. What it is that you're passionate about? If you could do anything in the world and money was of no concern, what is it you would do? You need to be working on that in some way.

I know what my passion is (singing), the problem is I need money to support myself and children. So far I haven't been able to earn a living in music. You see I returned to college only to be told depite the A's I was in the wrong field, I should be out there singing. I took classes to expand my vocal/performance abilities and was told I should be earning a living as a singer (by people who are). Yet I'm still not and I'm not sure why.

So just because you know what you're supposed to do doesn't make it magically happen. At least not for me, so far. But I will say it is nice at least having an idea. I just wish my idea was something a little easier to attain (like say school teacher or nurse or something). At least in those professions there is a path to follow, in this one it's not as guided.

I have to agree with ForAnother. I also believe that we do not have a purpose in life. You should just live everyday to the fullest and see what happens. Make sure that you are happy with what you are doing. I used to always worry about what I'm going to be and will I ever succeed. That pressure is too much for a person. Seriously, just take your life day-by-day and you will be happier, and make everyone around you happier.

I believe that everything does happen for a reason, that there is something bigger than us, and we do have a mission in this world. It is entirely up to u to find out what that mission is. If your anything like me you're not sure where your passion lies. One week I'm writing poetry incessantly, the next I am thinking about my future career as a teacher--than I become focused on building a house out in the middle of no where and growing my own food away from this crazy mixed up world.

Those strange coincidences that happen in life often take us in directions when didn't know we wanted to go in. I think the key is to be intuitive and go with those feelings...like you said, there must have been some reason you heard all of those stories about sexual abuse...well..maybe there was. Go with the gut...it's cliche I know, but your subconscious is a very powerful tool if you can tap into it. I believe that if we tune in to ourselves our path unfolds before us...if we are caught up in looking and trying to find out what our purpose is we become so distracted we don't see the signs...we don't hear our subconscious voice. Take a look around ...breathe in the air...feel peoples vibrations...it's called living. See, I don't think a lot of people are really "living" their life. By this I mean, finding the uniquness in the usual interactions and experiences of day to day life. Above all else remember that in this world every one leaves...you can love them with all your heart but they will leave...either by their own will or the will of something or someone else. You should trust in yourself and let the path unfold before you.

I think our purpose is to help others and make the world a better place. You've got a good start on that. Each of us has a unique set of experiences that we can use to improve our lives and the lives of others. You say you've had health problems that you've struggled with your whole life. So you know how precious life is and how difficult of a struggle it can be to stay alive physically. You've heard these stories about girls being abused. I'm assuming you took the time to comfort them as much as you could, even if it was just hearing them out and letting them use you as a sounding board. You don't sound like someone who would hurt them, so you show them that there are still good guys out there that they can feel safe with. You helped them out. You try to make your girlfriend happy, a good thing to do. Sounds to me like you are a good person who thinks of others. Thats precisely what you should be doing in life, so be proud of it and keep it up. But make sure you are happy to.