Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

So I got my permit. Now what?

confused198828

I'm a 28 year old single mother to 2 special needs boys. I felt like finally trying to get my license so I can take them to their appointments and other stuff myself. I don't have a vehicle I can use to practice or take driving test in. Nor do my parents. They have vehicles but not the kind that are ideal for me to use (service van and manual). So I don't know what to do now. When I first told my dad I want to get my license but don't have a car, he told me to get a permit and he will help me get a car and I can just pay him off when I get the money to do so. Well okay. I finally get my permit and mention that I need a vehicle to practice driving and take the test in, he mentions his service van and the car(a manual). Which I won't drive because I have enough anxiety on the road alone with just an automatic. Now I don't know what to do. I'm really upset because I felt so confident about getting my license and having a car and I was excited. Then my dad pulls this. Its not the first time he's done it but I don't know anyone who has a vehicle I can use. People I do know are too uncomfortable with letting me drive it. I'm trying to make my life better and now I don't see the point in having my permit. I feel like I wasted my time. What can I do? I feel very stuck.

I know you said you have problems with anxiety using a manual... but ...could your father possibly help you with gaining that confidence driving with gears - Like one small ride around a parking lot each night?

(I was in the same boat when I got my license, but now I prefer manual cars hands down over automatics...).. I remember being stubborn and refusing to drive dads old Morris, but then one day my car had a flat battery and I had no option but to take his Morris to work... and I survived and all my cars since have been manual.

Archived