Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

I can't find a job...might end up homeless in a foreign country. Any advice?

coastline

Aah, to conclude, there is an excellent, really excellent, radio show called "Liveline" hosted by Joe Duffy (talk to Joe). Do not hesitate to phone and explain your predicament to him, and I can promise you there will be reaction!

Phone: 1850715815

joe@rte.ie

Also, tell the family there that you are going to phone "Liveline" and wait for the reaction and the improvement!

You wouldn't be the first to travel to a new place with hopes things will fall into place, and not have it work out as planned, so don't feel bad about that. I personally would have lined up something first before traveling, but that's me and my aversion to risk (I am apt to panic when in a tight spot). Actually, my son did something similar to what you are doing; it didn't work out and when he called me it sounded like he felt defeated and crushed. My heart went out to him, and I told him he could come here and get back on his feet. He sounded relieved and surprised, returned, found a job close by that worked out well until he went back to uni 9 months later. I don't blame anyone for following their dreams, but sometimes you have to adjust them to make things work in the present. That was maybe 10 years ago and I still meet folks around town who loved working with him. He was a rock star at his job, and I think he enjoyed it. So, I guess I'm saying, if you had to go back and stay with your parents, or near by, it could be an unexpected plus. Of course I don't know your situation with them.

On the other hand, like DancingFool said, maybe the embassy could suggest some contacts for temp work. I'd also figure out your hourly labor rate and tally that for your bed and breakfast work, and figure a comparable trade with them. If they are over charging you for room and board find a better situation to do that kind of work, at least until you can make connections and find something more satisfying.

I completely agree, but I feel as though this was part of the experience, being on my own, finding a job (I knew it would be hard, but not this dramatically 'impossible'). Thank you for sharing your story, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I'm glad your son did awesome at his new job when he got back! You should be quite proud.

Luckily, I also have this sort of support from my parents. However, I don't think staying home is an option for me, for other, more complicated reasons.

Also, the second bit is a really good idea! I'll definitely think about it as one of my options. Thanks again!

So not a waste at all then. Two months in Dublin having a great time? Your boy's jealous. I've actually got a list from all the Irish dudes I've met at various bars and soccer pubs. Planning a trip next Spring to do a tour and see which town's got the best folks to knock a few back with. Skippin' over all the sites. But I've also got a good chunk of change saved up. A few people I've met have actually said Spanish speakers are in demand there, so maybe once my current gig dries up, I'll give it a shot.

Hahah, I have met quite a lot of people as well in my short time in Dublin. I can name the streets and bars of city centre off the top of my head, and I feel quite lucky to have been able to experience the love of laughter and good 'craic' that people here have....

And I've heard good things about Galway (haven't been yet!) and I would highly recommend going to little coastal towns like Howth and Bray.

I would highly recommend coming back and doing exactly as you said! Sounds like a great idea.

Don't count on it, J.Man......

It isn't all it's rocked up to be....

Expensive, poor service, hygiene issues, ...the list is long.

Not to mention (sadly) quite racist.

I agree, but I believe every country has its racism and issues with things being expensive. Ireland has a lack of diversity in general, so people don't really grow up with different cultures....so I can't really blame them in some context.

The sense of community that I've seen in some areas, and hospitality are like no other place I've ever been...

Yeh, Coast. Bars and craic are not everyday life, if you follow me. Nice for an evening out, but that's it.

What we seem here on the surface is not what we really are. We give the tourists the usual spiel, what they want to hear, and laugh at them behind their backs. I am only being honest.

I was born in Dublin, educated in Ireland but moved abroad very young and stayed abroad, in Continental Europe.

Yeh, Coast. Bars and craic are not everyday life, if you follow me. Nice for an evening out, but that's it.

What we seem here on the surface is not what we really are. We give the tourists the usual spiel, what they want to hear, and laugh at them behind their backs. I am only being honest.

I was born in Dublin, educated in Ireland but moved abroad very young and stayed abroad, in Continental Europe.

You're right, but that was just a general idea of the two most prominent things I can remember off the top of my head from Dublin.

Would you say that this two-faced sort of lifestyle hasn't changed/improved with each generation?

Coast. Generations have nothing to do with it.

It is written into our DNA. Lol.

On the face of it, Ireland might seem greatly changed over the past three decades (for example). All the multinationals are here, the big software companies, financial centres, you name it. But underneath all that is a highly complex set of people (do not be taken in by the jolly hahaha exterior), we are tough as old boots and as slippery as they come. Lol. And we can read outsiders like an open book.

Many many books have been written about the Irish psyche. See if you can get and read a few.

Yes, the countryside is very beautiful in many areas, and the new "Wild Atlantic Way" all 2.500 miles of it, is marvellous. I know many people of other nationalities who have come to this country for one reason or another, long or short term, and they do ask me, perplexedly, about these strange facets of Irish life. And worst of all I can't really explain! L.

Also, we are a mixture of many outside influences ourselves, mixed blood (English, Norman, French, etc.) over the centuries.

In general, Continentals have a better grasp of us than say Americans.

I've worked with a few Irish people that have come over here. We would call them two faced, they would think nothing of it, it is how they were raised. What you see and what is real are two entirely different things. We only think it's bad because we Americans are very open people and express how we truly feel most of the time. We are really unique because I have found that most people in Europe are what we would call two faced, but to them it's a normal way to be, not a bad thing at all. It's their culture. Never judge another culture by your own.

Archived