How do I convince my 14 yr old son to shave

Lisii

I hear ya! I've been on my own with my three for eight years. I have all girls so some of my struggles are probably different from yours .... hormones a-plenty and over-sensitivity (many tears STILL over their father's lack of interest in them). It's been difficult but I wouldn't have it any other way. We are much closer than we would have been had their dad stayed with us. He was extremely difficult to get along with (has many issues) and I believe life would have been much harder with him. We certainly wouldn't have the closeness we have now. I cherish that.

That's so true... I forgot to add hormones!!! them and mine! lols -

We can only do our best Blue

I've raised three sons, the last one is in his teens. I'm sorry, but the more you fight him on that the more he's going to cling to the facial hair simply to assert himself.

Stop talking about it, stop asking. The first time some girl rejects him over it OR when he realizes it's no longer a big deal to you he'll shave it off. Or you could do like I did when my middle son decided to grow his hair long, in spite of not having the kind of that really looks good long. I waited until he put it up in a man bun one day then when he got home I told him it looked really cute. Then went into the bathroom, put my own hair up into a similar style, walked back in on him and friends crowing, "We're twins!"

His friends thought it was hysterical, him not so much. A week later he cut his hair. I just said he looked nice, never made a big deal of it. I like to think my evil ways had something to do with it, but again people get tired of something and change their appearance, even yes teenage boys.

I know you can't grow facial hair, but maybe your husband would to show a sense of "solidarity" thereby rendering it not so cool after all?

If his hygiene is good otherwise let this one go. He's thrilled to have facial hair and is enjoying this physical "proof" of his maturity. Let him.

The youngest one wants to be a marine and has had that mapped out his whole life. I actually have never seen him with more than inch on his head at any time, so I guess that problem is solved. The day he leaves home it is going to rip my heart out, but he won't be mine to keep at that point.

StoThen went into the bathroom, put my own hair up into a similar style, walked back in on him and friends crowing, "We're twins!"

His friends thought it was hysterical, him not so much. A week later he cut his hair. I just said he looked nice, never made a big deal of it. I like to think my evil ways had something to do with it,

ah. . good one!

Same! Mine are away with their dad

Awwww sorry Blue & Capi, Hugs to all us solo mums (& dads) with hormonal, stinky, pimply, gorgeous lugs, pretty precious princesses and Chewbacca's..

I'll send you mine if you get him to shave! (joking)

Awwww sorry Blue & Capi, Hugs to all us solo mums (& dads) with hormonal, stinky, pimply, gorgeous lugs, pretty precious princesses and Chewbacca's..

I'll send you mine if you get him to shave! (joking)

Haha, I'm not used to that! It's the opposite problem in our house. There's far too much shaving that goes on to the point where there's arguments over who's used whose shaver! In fact, it is usually the girls saying to me "Eeew, mum your legs REAAAAAALLy need shaving".

Lisii.

It's called "designer stubble" lol.

Oh lordy... designer stubble to the max. tehe, wouldn't surprise me if he does the full Genghis Khan mo look

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11138[/ATTACH]

Capi - sorry I will retract and say a shout out to all us parents! - Ha ha I'll put him in the post now - It may take 40 years to get a full bushy beard...

I see you convinced him to shave it, but I was going to suggest letting it go. Not sure if he's your oldest, but there comes a time we need to start letting them stretch into adulthood, even if it doesn't look like our definition of adulthood yet. There are some things it's not time for yet that will come later, but appearance is one thing that starts early with kids. They really do need to stretch boundaries in some way, and whiskers are a harmless way. It doesn't sound like he's tattooing his face or scarring his body, so there's that.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta laugh

Son came to me last night... mum can you show me how to pluck my monobrow... It looks awful

lol, yet...his dark fluff is still on his upperlip... { eye roll }

I gave up... but his dad has offered to buy him a kit and show him how next holidays - I think it wont be long until the school says something.

That might backfire, because, you know, she's "Mom".

That's why he has to overhear it. If she tells him how sexy clean shaven guys are he'll see right through it. If he overhears it in a conversation with one of her friends, I don't think it'll have the "ick that's mom" effect. He has to believe he's overhearing secret women-talk about what's sexy, not getting a lecture from Mom.

You're right though, it would be more effective if he overheard a girl(s) that he's attracted to talking about how sexy clean shaven men are.

Talk to someone about how sexy you find clean-shaven men where he can overhear you.

Problem solved.

It would back fire as my bf is a stubbleman... but in my defense they are real stubbles, manly man of a gorgeous man.

Still the Greeble has two weeks of sprouting and then chop! haha (he's actually looking forward to being a "man" with his dad now)

He's a good kid

Archived