Dad started dating.

Moontiger

How old is dad? Honestly, I have observed that men 60 and up have a harder time being alone than a widowed woman, especially if married a long time. A family friend started dating 6 months after his wife died. He didn't know how to function without a wife, his kids had all moved away and it was nice for him to have someone to go to the movies with. It was someone he knew for years, as well.

whereas my aunt took 3 years to date. And another aunt never dated after and just stayed busy with grandkids. Dating doesn't mean he will marry.

Dad is not looking to replace mom.

How old is your Dad? Mine is in his 80s (so is Mom) and my mother always told me when I was a teenager that if my Dad passed away she eventually would want to marry again because she loves being married. They've been married 62 years. I do not think he'll be alive much longer at all. At this point I doubt she would remarry given her age but if she did I'd be very happy for her and would love to know that she had a companion also looking out for her (I live several states away, my sibling is in the same state).

Having said that, I can totally relate to being weirded out and having some qualms, depending on who it was/the context. Since I am in my late 40s I'm sure I would have taken it harder had I been in my 20s and still living at home/close to home. Your feelings are your feelings and GOOD FOR YOU for being so supportive of your Dad!!

How old is dad? Honestly, I have observed that men 60 and up have a harder time being alone than a widowed woman, especially if married a long time. A family friend started dating 6 months after his wife died. He didn't know how to function without a wife, his kids had all moved away and it was nice for him to have someone to go to the movies with. It was someone he knew for years, as well.

whereas my aunt took 3 years to date. And another aunt never dated after and just stayed busy with grandkids. Dating doesn't mean he will marry.

Dad is not looking to replace mom.

Oh I know he's not looking to replace my mom. I don't want to post the details of their relationship because then it would be super easy for anyone who knows my family to figure out who I am, but I know for a fact that he will never feel for someone else the way he did for my mom.

My dad is over 60 and I think it's true, he needs someone to talk to and go out with even if its just every now and then because they live so far from each other.

Moon. So glad your Dad is finding someone to share with. Of course no one will replace your mother. Perhaps he will marry, perhaps he won't. Either way it is his choice.

You know nowadays 60 is young. It's called "the new 40" Yes!

• 1 month later...

Archived