Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Will getting back to the USA be a long process?

yeawutever

It was really my parents' mistake of overstaying, relying on an unreliable aunt and being illegal aliens for years and I was then 4 years old. Way back in 2007, my father got deported while both my mother and I were under voluntary departure.

When we left voluntarily

I was 20 at the time (now I'm 28 but always wanted to be a US citizen; enjoy its luxury like the typical American woman). Obviously, I want to enter in the legal way and I'm currently saving money to get back. I was wondering if it's going to be a long process and if so about how long. I'll be done with college in my country within a month from now. Can I apply as a graduate student with my BA in tourism, hotel management and culinary arts?

If anyone has some idea of the process for a single Latina woman with no help from certain family members who are residents and US citizens (basically no one petitioning me and not getting married either)?

You can definitely apply for a student visa, which are easy to get. Once you have a graduate degree, you can apply for an H1B visa, though it can be hard to find a company willing to sponsor you,depending on the industry you are in, and those visas are in high demand so there is no guarantee you will get one even if your company does sponsor you.

Big picture, it will likely be quite difficult for you to get a resident visa/green card with no family member sponsoring you. An immigration lawyer can give you your best option and tell you what's realistic.

Archived