Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

My really smart -smart in every way!! middle aged friend who has gone back to the same person who hurts him terribly countless times over the last two years. He then posts when it's over again and doesn't ask for sympathy or support at all - that's not the annoying part - just baffling why he would do this. No, this kind of pattern is not typical of him. Sigh.

A person I know who keeps losing jobs because she has serious medical issues and physically cannot be there to do the work. i feel for her so much with her serious medical issues and this latest job -a few months old -is for someone whose wife has the same chronic condition so during the interview process he said he "got it". But I also feel for bosses who have bottom lines, other employees who will have to pick up the slack and realizing that the issues are far more serious and impacting the person's work. She just got demoted today after being hospitalized on and off the past few weeks and not getting much done otherwise. To me it's a business decision and she is "furious." Maybe I need to be more "pro employee" - and it's annoying to hear her complain about this latest demotion/issue when she knows she cannot be there and cannot get her work done.

A person I know who keeps losing jobs because she has serious medical issues and physically cannot be there to do the work. i feel for her so much with her serious medical issues and this latest job -a few months old -is for someone whose wife has the same chronic condition so during the interview process he said he "got it". But I also feel for bosses who have bottom lines, other employees who will have to pick up the slack and realizing that the issues are far more serious and impacting the person's work. She just got demoted today after being hospitalized on and off the past few weeks and not getting much done otherwise. To me it's a business decision and she is "furious." Maybe I need to be more "pro employee" - and it's annoying to hear her complain about this latest demotion/issue when she knows she cannot be there and cannot get her work done.

Can she apply for disability?

I have chronic health issues that sometimes affect my ability to perform my job. I try my best to power through, then I go home and collapse in bed for a couple of hours until I feel strong enough to make and eat dinner and prepare for the next day at work.

Trust me, I am fully aware that I am not always 100% at work. But I try my best.

I have chronic health issues that sometimes affect my ability to perform my job. I try my best to power through, then I go home and collapse in bed for a couple of hours until I feel strong enough to make and eat dinner and prepare for the next day at work.

Trust me, I am fully aware that I am not always 100% at work. But I try my best.

Yes I completely get it and it's such an individual situation. In this person's case, this is her second time where shortly after getting a brand new job she is out for several days for hospitalizations and the aftermath plus went on vacations already (no not a full week -like long weekends) - so it's not about not being 100% but literally not being there, at a new job, for days on end a number of times in a few short months. So I see that it's so stressful for her and I can imagine with that level of absences it must be hard on her boss to find a way to get the work done. I'm sorry you go through that! I had a taste of it during my pregnancy.

I also think her boss might have mislead her when he gave her the job and said he completely understood the health issues since his wife has the same condition.

I’m surprised that employers are allowed to terminate her to the extent that they have, considering her medical issues. I’m not sure what the employment laws are where you live, but I’m wondering if these employers should be accommodating her and her medical issues, rather than terminating her employment.

I can’t begin to imagine what she’s going through. I hope she has a strong support system in her friends & family.

I’m surprised that employers are allowed to terminate her to the extent that they have, considering her medical issues. I’m not sure what the employment laws are where you live, but I’m wondering if these employers should be accommodating her and her medical issues, rather than terminating her employment.

I can’t begin to imagine what she’s going through. I hope she has a strong support system in her friends & family.

Yes! I am annoyed only by her belief that as a new employee the employer should keep her on when he literally cannot perform the job functions - of course it is stressful and frustrating and I feel terribly for her and the employer has a business he has to keep afloat. I am not sure of the legalities other than it is at will and I believe small businesses in both cases if that makes a difference. Again the only annoying part is that she believes the employer should keep her at her same salary and same level of responsibilities when she cannot be at the job, cannot get the work done, and already has taken time off for vacations in the few short months. In this case I am thinking maybe he misled her and told her that despite her condition (and again he was well familiar with it) he'd be ok with her missing a great deal of work. Certainly she should bring legal action if what you write is accurate -from what I understand from her he is allowed to terminate. My only experience was when I took maternity leave - during that time I could not be terminated because of my post-partum situation.

She does have a strong support system -I support her as well and feel terribly for her about her condition plus these jobs not working out - I posted here and told her not to take the employer's decision personally (that it is a business decision -when she could work, she did good work!) - she was hospitalized twice last week for short periods of time and is still not feeling well. In other ways she makes unhealthy choices so not sure if that is exacerbating her condition (smoking/smoking pot/questionable diet choices) -not a doctor! I also know she'd approached a lawyer about applying for disability but was told then it was not an option.

I'm not quite sure what an employer is supposed to do to accommodate if a new employee misses that much work and is not able to do the work to the extent she cannot - I guess he can give the work to someone else or pay for two employees -keep paying her and then hire someone else to do her work. That seems like a tough situation for a smaller employer especially. But again I do not know the laws -maybe she will look into that!

You are right -I probably should not be annoyed as I do not know all the facts. As I wrote I also feel great empathy for her and have been in touch with her daily both to check in with her and also because I'm good at making her laugh and distracting her!

I'm annoyed a lot, apparently.

A Facebook friend who actually had the nerve to post that her birthday is coming up so could people please give her cash. For real???

Wow! A FB friend just posted -analogously - that they started a Target registry for their second child on the way.

What was annoying me but is not anymore. Because I'm type A I decided to click on an all day seminar agenda to find out when the program actually began since the start time was a painful 7:30am. I'd registered for it and the start time was 7:30am, called about the start time and received 2 emails with that start time. When I finally received a clickable agenda it said...... 8:30 (and ended an hour later too -potential issue for picking up child at school). They dealt with the error beautifully and I cannot imagine the 100 people at least (it is sold out) arriving an hour earlier at 7:30 to learn it was really 830. So I'm no longer annoyed but I was!

Just a follow up to yesterday's annoyance. She and I had a very informative discussion on text where I learned that she could potentially pursue a legal claim (since they are right on the cusp of over the limit of exempt size of small business), that she thinks the decision to cut her salary plus duties is "fair" but she is upset given their initial conversation about her condition, the employer's understanding and the employer's willingness to accommodate. So I am not annoyed at that in the least other than annoyed (understatement) on her behalf. The posts here prompted me to diplomatically inquire further. I am glad I did.