Not sure what to do.

user54321

So I have been in a relationship for almost 8 years, with long distance and living together. For the past 6 months it just feels like our relationship is falling apart. We don't go out much, very little sexual intimacy and when we do it feels like such a big deal with so much pressure. Recently my boyfriend was diagnosed with depression and anxiety- which may account for some of the distance but it has just put more pressure on the relationship for me. I have tried to be supportive and help him through it but I feel like it is destroying me and us. He doesn't seem like he wants to spend time with me, doesn't want to have sex or go out and do things. When ever I bring up the idea of us separating he breaks down crying about how he can't loose me and doesn't understand why I am still with him and how selfish he is for asking me to stay. We both love each other and I love him so much and can't imagine any future without him but I feel so unhappy right now. I don't want to leave yet with the thought that if he gets better it will be better but for right now, I feel sad a lot and very lonely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am sorry for your pain. Depression and anxiety is very hard on the relationship and the partner without it. If he is being treated that is a step. You need help to deal with this as well. How to communicate with him and continue the relationship. This is a disease like any other. It is up to you to try to shoulder some burden and support him. I failed with my depressed and anxious girlfriend. I want you to succeed where I didn't. I will help you any way I can. There are several support groups for people with depressed partners. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions. He spent the night at a friends last night and his phone is off. I haven't heard from him at all today. Things like this are what I feel like are breaking me down. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Sit around and wait at home for him to decide to come back or just do my own thing. He didn't take his keys so he is basically locked out. It just makes me feel like my life in on hold and stuck

Archived