Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

Testament

Return to Serenity

This song brings back distinct memories. I was just starting to date the first guy I ever loved and I had so much anxiety about that relationship. I had so much anxiety in general. My family was completely insane. I had gotten kicked out of school and was going to an out patient therapy program three days a week. One of the kids in therapy tried to sell me a bunk nickle bag lol. He told me to try it out and pay him if I liked it. I never paid him.

My mom was dating a guy whose son was trying to date me. He gave me this tape to record. He gave me a hunting knife that I used to carry around in school (yikes!). We were listening to this song, smoking cigarettes on my back deck, with the back door open so that we could hear the music. We were going through the fake weed trying to see if ANYTHING was real. None of it was.

I was doing a lot of drawing. People would be at my house when my mom wasn't home. They would hang out and I would just draw and listen to music.

Life of Agony

Underground

It so ironic, the story of this band. They were fairly local, and they were popular at a time when Pantera was popular, when Phil Anselmo seemed like the toughest guy on earth. The music was all about enduring pain and being tough.

Life of Agony seemed to take a page from that book, with lyrics like, "If you don't walk with me, I will walk alone. Hard enough to believe in myself when I know they don't believe in me. Unwilling to change for society I'll be who I want to be..."

But 20+ years into the future, it seems Kieth Caputo was genuinely in pain and being tough. Listening to his voice, I never dreamed that he was transgender. But he was! I guess this song was truly meaningful and not just the typical role playing that most performers do.

Anyway, it's a great song, and a great album.

[video=youtube;l-tl6AinvSc]

Loreena McKennitt

Greensleeves

I always associated this song with Christmas. I had no idea that it was originally a 16th century love song/lament, that it had absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, until I heard Loreena McKennitt sing the lyrics.

She is also quite good at setting old poetry to her own music. The Highwayman comes to mind, but there are others...