Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

I find Ray Lynch's music to be almost excessively sentimental, practically bordering on maudlin, but I really enjoy it. He tends to develop interesting themes that soundtracks often touch upon but never run with.

Back in 2010, I spent a whole night listening to a loop consisting of this song and a few others. I had to pull multiple all-nighters to get my final project done, and my then-boyfriend dumped me right in the middle of it. I saw it coming for two weeks, and he just refused to admit it. And finally, on this night of all nights, he decided to end things. So, as I finished my project, I lived in a sound-bubble consisting of this song (Drifted in a Deeper Land), The Vanished Gardens of Cordoba, and two songs by Muse. One of the Muse songs was deleted off of my playlist (which still exists!), but the other is Megalomania. I think that Drifted in a Deeper Land was the cornerstone of that playlist, though.

When we were little kids, my mom dragged my sister and I along with her on shopping expeditions. Occasionally, she would let us pick out 45s from the music section of whatever department store we were patronizing. This was back when I was 6 or 7, probably in the age of 8-tracks. But we only had record players, so we got 45s. One of us, my sister or I, picked out Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun single. On the second side was a song that I ended up playing even more than the first side. It was called She Bop. I am not sure if it ever made it onto the radio. I really dug this song, though.