Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

On 5/23/2024 at 4:02 AM, yogacat said:

My mind. 

You’re probably going to want to kick my ass, but part of the background music sounds like Father Figure by George Michael or at least reminds me of it. I do have a soft spot for Die Without You by PM Dawn.  

On 5/23/2024 at 3:56 AM, yogacat said:

A personal fav!

Neneh had this dope bohemian vibe and fierce personality. I like that it was a mix of hip hop, pop, and R&B - a refreshing change from all the grunge and alternative stuff that was big back then.

Couldn’t agree more!  This song has definitely aged well like a fine wine. I like how the one on the record, she hosts the beginning instruments, one by one as they layer each other. 

• Thanks 1

I could let it go and live to fight another day
It's enough to know that you'll be saddled with the same
And you'll have to live with what you did and face yourself
Though you've hurt me, I still wish you well

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:
9 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

You’re probably going to want to kick my ass, but part of the background music sounds like Father Figure by George Michael or at least reminds me of it. I do have a soft spot for Die Without You by PM Dawn.  

No, you have a point. That's because George Michael & Prince Be were both writer's for it. It included on purpose a feature sample of George Michael’s “Father Figure.” Which in itself is a great song too!

I just really like the lyrics of "Looking Through Patient Eyes," connecting the eyes as the window to the soul, and how a person's true feelings can often hide behind them. I LOVE songs with lyrics that are a bit on the ambiguous side. Like you could interpret them in different ways. And that's what connects the songs for me.

While the music may be different, or similar, they both have a sense of depth and emotion that can be interpreted in different ways by different people.

It's a powerful and relatable theme. But thanks for making me notice the similarities! 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

I’ve lost track how many times I’ve seen that video over the years. Along with Rio. 

"Come Undone" and "The Reflex." I think my fav tunes by DD.

Loveeeeeee the Reflex:

On 5/21/2024 at 9:29 PM, yogacat said:

Saw a really funny cartoon -interviewee is asked "can you perform under pressure" and he replies that he's not sure if he remembers all the lyrics.  😉

19 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Saw a really funny cartoon -interviewee is asked "can you perform under pressure" and he replies that he's not sure if he remembers all the lyrics.  😉

😂

It's weird. I can remember most, and 100s of song lyrics. But ask me to remember someone's name and I'm blanking.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, yogacat said:

Such a fun tune.

Who was your fav Duran Duran member?

Oh I didn't really know to that level - remember I watched no videos at all.  I met the Ramones in person though in the 80s!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, yogacat said:

It's weird. I can remember most, and 100s of song lyrics. But ask me to remember someone's name and I'm blanking.

You hear popular songs over and over again, with most songs being very repetitive. Pretty easy for lyrics to get stuck in your brain. But how often do we really use a person's name when tallking to them? Unless you make a point of using a person's name or are around them alot, it's surprisingly easy to forget. 

What's really weird is how I can recall random maketing ads or jingles from my childhood that I haven't actually heard in decades. I didn't even use the product or like the jingle, but I can't forget it even if I want to!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

You hear popular songs over and over again, with most songs being very repetitive. Pretty easy for lyrics to get stuck in your brain. But how often do we really use a person's name when tallking to them? Unless you make a point of using a person's name or are around them alot, it's surprisingly easy to forget. 

What's really weird is how I can recall random maketing ads or jingles from my childhood that I haven't actually heard in decades. I didn't even use the product or like the jingle, but I can't forget it even if I want to!

Naturally.

Repeated exposure to anything increases your chances of remembering it.

I can study and study for a test and I draw a blank. Not music.

Music is intimately linked to our sense of self and therefore [when individuals are able to] recognize songs with minimal details.

I know you're scared
But I think that you should
Try to remember that
We're all damaged goods
I know you're worried
You hide behind your walls
Oh trust me, little darlin'
You can let 'em fall

• Like 1

"I felt more when we played pretend
Then with all the Kens
Cause he took me out of my box