Should I quit my job tomorrow?

MissF

Having recently moved to London, I took up a job which I thought would be perfect for me - it incorporated all my skills but it was a step up. Everything looked good on paper and the interviews went well. I am now in my 6th week of this job and have been struggling since day 1 due to the company not being completely transparent with me from the beginning and dealing with a technically incompetent manager.

Reasons for leaving:

- I was under the impression I was joining a marketing team however there is no 'team' and my manager has only been with the company for two months

- I have been working 12+ hour days at least twice a week along with working two weekends so far

- I had to go to A&E yesterday as I was quite sick at work. My manager saw how sick I was as she came along with me. I was ordered to take the day off today from the doctor due to stress however I have been forced to work from home and have taken multiple phone calls from my manager as the Managing Director demanded a particular document be finished today. My manager could not figure out how to edit a PDF document which is why I had to work from home.

- Manager is technically incompetent - ie. Can not edit a PDF document without my help. Can not scan a document to email from the printer without my help (Have shown her how to do this twice and I figured it out the first time as there are on screen instructions..) etc.

- The Managing Director refuses to listen to any opinions from the 'marketing team' (me and my manager) and we are more like his PA's

- I was told I would be split between two locations with one being hours away once to twice a week until November however it's looking like this will be a permanent thing

- Overall, the business is very disorganised

I'm not one to 'give up' but I'm also not one to tolerate nonsense. I have never been in a position where I've wanted to quit after such a short time however I feel this is the right move for myself and the company. I do feel very bad for my manager as I know she is struggling and will struggle even more without me but I guess this is one of those times where I just have to bite the bullet, what do you all think?

Someday, I hope to get to a point in life where I can simply consider dropping a job for kicks.

It is very empowering. I was able to pull it off at age 38. Had saved enough that I figured I was safe for a year...wound up taking two years because the stock market was good to me!!!!

Archived