5 Reasons You Shouldn't Feel Bad About Not Talking to Toxic Parents

sleepingdonut

I love my mother to death and am extremely grateful for her. That said, she made the choice to bring me into this world and to carry that responsibility. I didn't ask for it and don't owe her anything for it. Were she to become a toxic element of her life, I'd cut her out without hesitation.

Thankfully, I couldn't imagine that ever happening.

I apply this rule to ANY relationship, including my parents.

"If a person doesn't make you happy, is not a positive influence, doesn't work hard at making themselves and you to be the best person you/they can be, they are simply not worth being around".

I have to say some of the assumptions made in the article and things stated....I can't really agree with. Clearly they are from a certain person's point of view and it seems like they had REALLY REALLY bad parents. In which case, even engaging with such people is not even recommended.

Isolate yourself from verbal abuse/control and stupidity is the only answer for that hehe.

I can relate to this as I had a toxic mother. Nothing I ever did was right or good enough and she made sure to tell me that on a regular basis. I had zero self esteem as a kid. She used to tell me I had a face only a mother could love, but even as a small child I would think - yes, but you dont....

She is why I left home at 18 and never went back to live there. I'd rather have slept in a box on the street first. Things never did get much better over the years, I did try to improve our "relationship" but it never worked. In the end I gave up. My life got better once I gave up.

Til the day she died we didn't get along. She was indeed toxic to me and I was better off without her in my life. I totally understand why people cut certain people out of their lives.

Archived