Call, don't text!

PinotForNow

I went to a birthday party Friday at a downtown bar. There was a guy in attendance who seemed pretty cool. We talked a bit and at the end of the night he asked for my number.

He called, yes! Called tonight and said he had a great time meeting me and would I like to go out to dinner this week.....

I said yes immediately and we have a dinner date planned for Tuesday. Had he texted "hey, what's up" then likely this would have ended in boring texts.

Call a girl! It's so much better and we were able to lock in a day and place instead of what texts will do "well...whenever is good for you" BS

Pick up the the phone and a girl will think you are great!

I say this as someone who greatly prefers calling over texting:

It doesn't matter. If someone is interested in you, they won't care whether you call or you text.

It's 2015 and texting exists. It's here to stay. Knowing when to call and when to text is important, but you can just as concisely set up a date through texting as you can through a phone call.

I've called to set up dates and have had the person try to drag it out into a 15 - 20 minute phone call when all I cared about was setting a day in time. The vague runaround is certainly not restricted to SMS.

OP, welcome to the 21st century. I've done the complete opposite to women, where I have texted and NEVER called. They still knew how I felt about them. That is the world we live in. Don't get mad if he texts and doesn't call. Furthermore you are just starting to talk to this guy. I wouldn't waste time on long, romantic phone calls until you know you are both serious about each other. Especially before a first date. You can waste several hours yapping over the phone and then you find out he's not interested in you after date one and blows you off, makes you feel like all that talking was a waste of time.

j.man is correct, I hate calling people and then having a 20-30 minute long conversation. Also I have tennis elbow in both elbows, only 25 but got it from too many sports over the years. My hand and arm tingle after a while holding the phone and I hate using speaker phone and headsets! I would rather text and put the phone down.

I liked talking on the phone when I was younger, but as I've gotten older I find I prefer it less and less. In our multitasking world, texting is much more efficient. How am I supposed to give appropriate focus to my level 32 wizard in Diablo III if I'm stuck in a phone conversation? With texting, I can reply once every 15 or 20 minutes.

I actually do prefer talking on the phone versus texting for an actual conservation, because I like hearing the other person's voice but TO START, I prefer text. Why? Because I work and I can't take phone calls at work. I have an unpredictable schedule too. I prefer texting to start just so we can firm up plans and also I can tell him when a good time to call me is and I can ask the same of him.

Texting doesn't necessarily have to be boring either; you can use it to make concrete plans right away. When I met my boyfriend on OKC, we exchanged a few messages over the course of a day and then he asked for my number. We maybe exchanged 20 texts arranging a coffee date THAT DAY and we both showed up and the rest is history.

I find it's good for making plans with my friends too.

It's the endless texting before meeting or CONSTANT texting all day, that's when it's bad.

I also hate engaging on the phone for long periods--unless its the only option(ie a relative someone from different city or country) .However,If something needs immediate attention, or I need to relay/get important information to/from someone, I more often than not go for a phone call. That way, I am certain to get a quick response.

For all other purposes, I prefer text, for the following reasons:

it allows me to multitask.

Convenience

Short and Direct

Multi-chatting

All said and done, if I had a choice, I would talk to the person... in person. Nothing beats face-to-face conversation for me.

Oh I hate long conversations too, for sure. And this one lasted under five minutes.

I'm also a big texter and rely on it for 95% of my phone interactions. I found it refreshing to receive a phone call with intent. He wasn't calling to chat- he was calling to ask me out.

I was just offering another side that it takes a bit of effort to pick up the phone and I found it a nice touch.

I wasn't saying from here on out by God thou shall not text, haha. I was surprised in a good way to get a (fast) call that went well.

Guess I'm alone, but sticking to it- that was a nice first impression!

I text to set up a call, always, I'm quite talkative and interested in the person I'm talking with. If they can't stay on the phone with me for 20 minutes, I will reconsider setting up a date. I understand nerves, but if you're so nervous you can't talk to me, how are you supposed to see me in person? Not that it's a deal breaker, I can usually tell if they're just nervous or just really really boring! Plus someones voice, and how they express themselves, sets up some of the beginnings of attraction. Texting, to me, is for setting up dates, and talking with people you're close to, who know how to read YOU in your texts. Besides, with texting early... theres way to much "am I texting too much, or not enough? Did they get the joke or did I just offend them? Why arent they sending more emoticons?!" just way too involved for something as simple as, "Hey, I want to see you."

Well- as a follow up to the guy who (gasp) called me we had our date tonight and we had so much fun!

Since that initial call he texted he was on his way to said destination. I texted back.

I regret ever starting this bc in no way was I saying texting is bad- I just clearly can't sell what I meant.

Archived