Good online dating sites?

Jaela

Hi guys,

I'm looking to dabble slowly into dating again, but with my busy school and work schedule, it is a bit difficult to meet others. I do some online courses and usually spend quite a nice chunk of my day on the internet, and I love chatting and meeting new people. I know some people have tried online dating before and it has worked out well for them. Have you any suggestions on quality dating sites where I could set up a profile? Do all of these places cost money? Or have you any suggestions of other ways to meet new people online? I would love to hear where all of you guys frequent.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a couple, but link removed is my favourite, and that might be partly as that is where I have had success! A lot of sites have you paying monthly, lavalife you buy credits and use them as you go. For example, you pay 6 credits (about $1.20 or something like that) to email someone, but after that all emails between the two of you are free. They have an IM feature there too (I did not use that much though) and smiles of course are free so you can verify interest before emailing.

Good luck! Make sure to write a great profile, use up to date pictures and have fun with it!

cause lets face it..guys are more desperate usually

Oh come on, that is too harsh! I think it is just because girls are a little bit too shy than men are.

i dont think so. i think stereotypically its up to the male to approach the woman. sometimes guys have problems doing that..but onnline it could be less intimidating...the fear of rejection is not as great. girls get asked out by guys more so then the vice versa.

am i too young to use online dating agency? as i cant see me meeting someone any other way

at your age dont you think you can meet people elsewhere? just curious...but i think at your age you may have better luck elsewhere. just talk to guys...they'll come

....well for a start i dont want guys to be coming anywhere....because i am a guY!!!!

and no its hard for me coz im a very shy and not very social person..plus i havent got any friends, i havent really gone out, in like...hmmm coming up to 2 years? (well, in that time maybe about 3 times?)

and i know i should join clubs and things but trhere arnt any near me, and i dont feel like i want too...i think its just easier for me to accept the nothings gonna happen i guess

As far as on topic, which site is best really depends on which site has the people you want to date. How I would figure that out is by doing some searches on the various services and seeing which one has the people that interest me the most, whether it is more people in the right age group, background, etc.

If you were in your 30s in NYC, I'd tell you to use link removed, because every woman I know in her 30s who is single, not in a relationship, and in NYC, that I've spoken to about it, has been on match. If you were looking for someone in a different area or different age group, wouldn't you go to the one with the most possible choices? Check them out, roam around the profiles, see what fits you best.

So, I did link removed for 2 months. I got LOTS of e-mails! Eventually, I screened them down, and I went out with 7 guys. All were nice (except one who was a childish jerk). I had a nice time with them, but I didn't feel a romantic connection with any of them.

I also tried E-harmony. I was intrigued, because it's more scientific. You have to answer like 400 questions, and then you get matches who match up well with your personality. So, you get a lot less matches, but they are more compatible. I went out with 2 guys, both were very cool and and we had a nice time. Things didn't work out with either of them.

A friend of mine did link removed, and she's been seeing a guy she met through there for a few months now.

I've given up on dating, period for a while. Match was fun - lots and lots of dates, but it's ultimately exhausting. I really need to focus on school and myself right now. So, I'm not going to do online dating for a while now.

am i too young to use online dating agency? as i cant see me meeting someone any other way

Your too young to be thinking about using a dating agency. Just go out and mix it up with some confidence. There's lots of information on the web about how to talk to girls properly, PM me if you want to be pointed in the right direction.

Another vote for link removed although I've not had much success with it so far ;-) Profiles are generally better than I've seen elsewhere, it's pretty popular, and there are lots of useful freebies such as the personality and physical attraction tests.

Haven't been too impressed with lavalife, although that's probably because I couldn't find any local matches!

For free services, you can try link removed - which is based around survey/questionnaire results and is quite an interesting approach.

I was looking at one called link removed the other day, it seems alright.

I think yahoo personals is just fine though.

I think all these sites are the next best thing (besides being on tv which aint gonna happen) to getting your face out accross to many people in your city.

Yeah, as a.d.c. said, get your FACE out there.

Please, no baseball hats or sunglasses! No exgirlfriends/exboyfriends hanging off your neck either! Just a nice head shot of you smiling.

A shot also indicating something about your body type might also be helpful. A now-married friend interepreted link removed's standards as meaning one set heavier than I would think they indicated, so if you have a few extra, say average, etc. If you provide the picture, then you set some fears at rest.

FWIW, most don't require the picture, and some let you hide it. If your shy, for instance, lavalife, will let you put it in your "backstage". I think match makes you put them on display for all to see, if you provide any.

At any rate, having one lets the other person know what they are getting and allays some fears.

cause lets face it..guys are more desperate usually

Oh come on, that is too harsh! I think it is just because girls are a little bit too shy than men are.

I definitely agree with hockeyboy.

Who is more picky? guys or girls?

ok, what you think is plausible phrase "a picky girl" or "a picky guy"?

To me the former is more real.

Girls might be shy, but also very picky especially in online environment

due to thouhsands for guys there who contstantly hit on them.

i think stereotypically its up to the male to approach the woman. sometimes guys have problems doing that..but onnline it could be less intimidating...the fear of rejection is not as great. girls get asked out by guys more so then the vice versa.

---

Ok, but rejection rate online if maybe 99.9% for guys. Imagine,

a girl online is getting some responses everyday.. ans she has to reject most of it. If you a guy who posted your online dating profile you may not receive any letters at all.

So yeah, fear of rejection is low. But the rate of rejection is super high!

If you kinda multiply them together.. I dont even know if we'll get a better situation with rejection than with real dating.

Back on topic somewhat...

i'd also recommend lavalife for the sole reason there's no monthly subscription fees. pay for what you use.

if you're like me & hate spending money for web sites, plenty of link removed is 100% free

So Lavalife is better cuz it is cheaper. Ok, lets do some math.

In order to get a date, how many letters you have to send?

I would estimate in most cases anywahere from 5-20, and that translates into about 5-20 dollars. Now, on average it is what? about (5+20)/2=12.5

just to get a date. But for example link removed was offereing $6 per month

for unlimited contacts. It appear that on money scale link removed is twice better than lavalife: first it is 2 times cheaper, second, it is unlimited.

Agree?