How to get on FMLA?

I work an extremely stressful third shift job and my blood pressure levels are stage one hypertension and my resting bpm has sky rocketed to 70. I'm ashamed to admit. I've tried cleaning up my diet but it can only do some much when I'm stressing out for 12 hours a night. I've been working there for a little over a year and have no insurance. It's also worth mentioning that I have successfully bid out of this 3rd shift position and onto an easy first shift job.. The problem being it will take a couple of weeks to a couple months to replace me.. I'd really like to get moved immediately or go on FMLA for a short time until they get me replaced...I'd rather they just replace me now!

What you may be thinking of is LTD--long term disability and not Family Medical Leave Act.

FMLA is about immediate family members needing you to take care of them, not about taking sick leave yourself. You will need to have the doctor who is treating the family member to fill out a form your HR department should give you for it specifying what the illness/surgery is, how long the patient is going to be requiring your assistance and when the doctor expects for the patient to be recovered to the point where they don't need your help. Also, there is little to no compensation for doing that. I just went through that last year when my mom had a heart attack and triple bypass surgery.

I've just recently went through a bout of high blood pressure myself, with my numbers in the upper 50's. I've finally got the numbers down to 122/30, after 3 years of break up stress and job stress. I cleaned up my diet and I also took up exercising--walking 40 minutes 3-4 days/week--and listening to deep sleep mp3's while falling asleep. Also, adopting a "no stressing out unless it's really required" attitude helped me out at work. Some things aren't worth stroking out over.

Have you signed up for insurance through the exchange with the ACA?

Yeah I guess what I want is a sick leave and not FMLA or LTD, I just want a couple weeks off and come back to start my new job. Is that something I should talk to HR about?

No I haven't signed up with the ACA because in April I'll be able to go on the companies insurance if I'm still there/still alive. Sometimes I feel like my heart is going to give out.

I live in the DC MD VA area and there is a doctor here whose got a practice of treating weight loss by looking at the endocrine system--liver, thyroid, adrenals and ovaries--and by looking at where one amasses their weight, it will usually indicate which gland is stressed out. For me, it is my adrenals. His name is Eric Berg and you can find him online and on youtube... in fact, he posts a lot of his information on youtube. He's got a book, too, which you can order. It's through his diet plan that I lost about 30 lbs and have kept it off, plus lowered by BP and got rid of my sleep apnea. Going to see him cost a grip, but the book will tell you everything you need to know.

I live in the DC MD VA area and there is a doctor here whose got a practice of treating weight loss by looking at the endocrine system--liver, thyroid, adrenals and ovaries--and by looking at where one amasses their weight, it will usually indicate which gland is stressed out. For me, it is my adrenals. His name is Eric Berg and you can find him online and on youtube... in fact, he posts a lot of his information on youtube. He's got a book, too, which you can order. It's through his diet plan that I lost about 30 lbs and have kept it off, plus lowered by BP and got rid of my sleep apnea. Going to see him cost a grip, but the book will tell you everything you need to know.

Okay thank you so much. Weight is not an issue for me at all, I have a 10% body fat! It's just copious amounts of stress in the early morning hours when I should be sleeping! Lol. I'll definitely check out what he says.

The thing is the person reading your blood pressure should be your doctor. To determine hypertension they have to take readings over several weeks.

Also be aware blood pressure goes up and down all day long it's not one steady number.

They also call hypertension the "silent killer" because you don't feel it. What you're probably feeling is anxiety.

You might want to see your doctor and see if they can write you an order for bed rest and if you have the sick time, you can consolidate it and take it to cover that.

^ This. You say you just want a couple of weeks off, so a visit to a doctor is your starting point. Get a note from him. LTD and FMLA don't seem to apply here. I second Victoria - seems to me you are experiencing anxiety.

I worked straight night shift for 12 hours a night for a year. I know your pain. You need to go to your doctor and document all of this. What does your boss say? Do you have any idea when you'll be moved to a different position?

Sent from Tapatalk

I haven't told my boss yet and they said it will be a couple weeks to a couple months. It sucks because the position is unfilled right now they just need someone who's trained to replace me.

I think the best thing to do would be to go to your doctor and explain what's going on. There is short term disability that you may be able to take. I myself took it after getting an elective surgery. I received 3 weeks of partial pay.

Sent from Tapatalk

FMLA does apply to individuals with a serious health condition, provided that their employer is required to follow the law.

Only eligible employees are entitled to take FMLA leave.

An eligible employee is one who:

• Works for a covered employer

;

Has worked for the employer for at least 12 months

;

Has at least 1,250 hours of service for the employer during the 12 month period im mediately preceding the leave*;

and

•Works at a location where the employer has at least 50 employees within 75 miles

If you meet these criteria, you can then apply for FMLA leave....or, if you have taken time off already for this health condition, they may have already started counting that as FMLA leave time.

FMLA does not pay benefits. It only protects your job.

I'm happy to say that I start first shift tomorrow :subdued: It was completely unforeseen that I'd be moved so quickly but I'm thrilled that I have been and I hope following a normal sleep/wake schedule and the stress reduction will restore my blood pressure levels to what they were.

Archived