I asked out a work colleague but he didn't respond :(

dark angel9

I did something stupid. I was at home on Friday night (last week) and had a few friends over. They know I have a little crush on a guy I work with. I don't even work with him much but I see him around once a week or so. He is not my boss or on my team. We have each other on Facebook and I know that he is single. At work we make small talk but that's about it.

So, egged on by my friends I sent him a FB message asking him if he wants to get a drink/coffee with me sometime. I saw that he read the message but he didn't respond. I felt really embarrassed and humiliated. I saw him around this week and I avoided him as much as possible. I just wished I never said anything.

So we were emailing back an forth about a work project yesterday and I was still feeling really embarrassed so I brought up that FB message. I said something like; sorry about the FB message, I was kind of pushed into it by my friends. I am feeling kind of embarrassed right now and would appreciated if we forgot about the whole thing.. He never responded to that either. I would feel better if he said "no worries" or something. Now I regret sending THAT message too.

I actually don't even like him that much, I just had a passing thought that he is cute so I feel really foolish. Ugh. Any advice?

I praise you as well, that takes some serious courage A lot more than most people have, for sure. Just think of it as no big deal because honestly it really isn't. Think about a year from now, is it really going to matter? You will realize that it won't!

Like others have said, it's good that you had the guts to ask him out. It will be awkward for a little bit, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?

For now, stop bringing it up, act as normal as possible, avoid him when you can, and it will eventually go back to how it used to be. In the future, don't date coworkers.

Good for you for asking and don't let this put you off asking again. But don't do it via Facebook, do it in person.

That is exactly what I was going to write- it's fine after you've been dating awhile but it gives a much better impression in person (or at least on the phone and not in a voice mail).

Well, if you were polite in asking him, it just shows more to his character that he wouldn't respond at all. And you don't have anything to apologize for.

I agree with you. It would have been a decent thing to do (respond) especially because we are coworkers and especially because I now asked twice.

I mean how hard it is to write something along the lines ''no problem, you have nothing to apologize for" or something generic. It would have made me feel heaps better.

I agree with you. It would have been a decent thing to do (respond) especially because we are coworkers and especially because I now asked twice.

I mean how hard it is to write something along the lines ''no problem, you have nothing to apologize for" or something generic. It would have made me feel heaps better.

Are you sure he checks his facebook email?

Bummer. But it could be worse, at least he's keeping his mouth shut about it and not going around talking about it. Just let it be.

Next time, ask someone in person (unless you meet them via online dating). Not having to wait for a response is much less intimidating.

Archived