Very worried and nervous about group job interview. (team building nightmare)

Cadmiumblue: What really annoys me is that my experience should preclude even having to DO this crap.

Nope, sorry! I was a retail manager for 12 years, and I was always looking for people who knew how to be a team player. If they presented themselves as such and got hired but weren't, they were weeded out by the end of their 90 day probation period.

Having cashier experience is a start, but cashiering has an entirely different set of tasks and does not involve working within a team, which is vitally important in the clothing industry.

A good job where you don't need a lot of customer service skills is package handling at a company like Puralotor, DHL or UPS. It pays about $15/hr in my area, and you work independently most of the time.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becomingkate, I don't dislike working with others. Being a cashier is mostly independent, but you do need to communicate with others to get by in the job.

Anyway, I can work with a team. It takes time for me to warm up to people, but once I do, I'm fine. I just wish someone would give me a chance. I need a job to get my life in order.

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that I'm this horrible person who can't be a team player and can't work with others. It's not true.

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that I'm this horrible person who can't be a team player and can't work with others. It's not true.

Nobody called you a horrible person.

As for the rest: I recommend you read all your OWN posts on the various threads and pretend they are from someone you have never met before and then you come back and tell us what the impression of that person is

Sorry, I disagree.

That isn't surprising. You have agreed w/ very little.

But think -- no one on the site has met you in person. All we have to go by is what you have told us, and by what we "see" when you post. So, our impression of you is what it is...and I think it's fairly accurate.

Okay. Well, that's how you feel. This isn't really a site for people to be social and impress people, it's a place where people are vulnerable.

Why would I agree with someone presenting an unflattering self-image? I prefer to imagine myself as confident and getting along well with others. And quite often, I am. Thinking positive is better than thinking negative. If I listen to someone who says something unflattering about me, I'll spiral into negative thinking. That doesn't help me.

I think there is some serious misconnect somewhere: people will always have impressions of people based on what they say, how they communicate, how they react - NOT how they would like to be seen, because nobody is a mind reader.

Nobody can project one behavior, but expect to be regarded for a completely hidden/uncommunicated persona.

Some more considerate people may try to look what is behind the persona that one projects - but if the person in question doesn't allow the other sides to be seen, one has only the ouvert behavior to base conclusions on.

So, if you continuously project anger, negativity, disagreement - what do you think people are concluding? That you are really a sweet person?

You still may be a sweet person, but nobody has seen that side yet.

And it would be quite unhealthy for other people to not adjust their behavior according to what you share with them. Thus I can understand why some people are giving up and deciding to invest their time and energy into someone who seems more open to receiving advice/help

Okay. Well, that's how you feel. This isn't really a site for people to be social and impress people, it's a place where people are vulnerable.

Why would I agree with someone presenting an unflattering self-image? I prefer to imagine myself as confident and getting along well with others. And quite often, I am. Thinking positive is better than thinking negative. If I listen to someone who says something unflattering about me, I'll spiral into negative thinking. That doesn't help me.

You started this thread with a complaint about the group job interview, saying it was unfair, that you should be hired based on your experience. You said it wasn't fair for them to judge you based on the way you interacted with others.

Here's a quote from your first post:

I have an upcoming group interview at an Old Navy store. I wouldn't worry normally, but I'm anxious about the possibility of "team building" activities, which is code for forcing people who don't know each other to interact in ways that are uncomfortable, such as "getting to know you" games.

You posted about forcing people to interact in ways that make you uncomfortable, and yet now you say that you're confident and get along well with others. How does that make sense?

Even outgoing people are not comfortable with team building activities, and many have said as much. It's awkward for all involved, no matter how confident you are. My point was that I don't want to be seen as this shy, pathetic, negative excuse for a person.

Again, I didn't bump this thread to start this line of conversation. I was saying I got through it. That's all.

I am glad you got through it! Now keeping going!

Thanks. It's been two days now. If I don't get a call in the next few days, I will assume it's not going to happen. Which is possible since I was shy and nervous at the interview, even though it was just girls sitting together eating cookies, drinking soda and doing things that a normal person would get through without any issues.

I am thinking about redoing my resume to focus on my education and applying for jobs relevant to my college major. I know, what a revolutionary notion.

In the meantime, though, I am considering just getting a job at a restaurant to make money quickly. I can't be picky.

My mom is a problem though. Even though I'm decidedly a grown woman, she actually told me I couldn't take a job. I don't have my own car so I can't go to interviews without the shared car...which causes fights. But that's another issue entirely.

Archived