Very worried and nervous about group job interview. (team building nightmare)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just want to see how you handle stress..so if I calmly fabricate a story about another applicant, they don't care, as long as I do it calmly.

i don't think you have to worry about fabricating a story. it's probably best that you don't do that. if you introduce "Tina" who likes camping, skydiving and lacrosse and there is no tina in the interview group, that is going to sound really strange.

I think that example that the person on the link you posted is extreme. i doubt you have to worry about that.

erm. do you mean a scenario where you and a partner are paired up, you chat for 5 minutes and then your job is to introduce them to the group?

look, i really don't think you have to worry about this. most people will be cooperative. making up a story and not remembering the name of your partner would make you look like a flake.

you really don't have to worry about the crazy curve balls in an interview. i once had an interview where the interviewer read me an e-mail his ex-gf sent him. it's like.....'uh.....' these kinds of situations rarely happen.

40 people? that's a lot!

i would recommend that you take this process seriously and make a real effort to talk to a person and have 3 things to say about them should this be part of your interview (and not something obvious like they are from MA and want a job at Old Navy - that describes all 40 people in the room).

how are you not going to talk to anyone??? i mean, a room of people, you're going to stand there...... and do nothing? and then you have the interviewers watching what you guys are doing. they're going to see you're not talking to anyone. and then you're going to say that you can't remember the name of the person you just met a minute ago.

do you really think this is going to make a good impression?

wouldn't it just be easier to TALK to a person, find out their name, favorite food, and what kind of pet they have, and report that to the group?

I think what annie was trying to say is, that with 40 people, you need to make a serious effort to stick out of the crowd. Thus saying something generic that will be applicable to the majority of the people in the room may not be sufficient to make a good impression.

If only the number of years of experience would count, they wouldn't go through anything else in the process than check CVs

I don't understand WHY we have to "meet" people. It's a job interview. It's all so fake. None of those people care what my favorite food is, or why I want the job. We are all just competing against each other for a very small number of available positions.

I honestly just wish that instead of calling back everyone and their mother for an interview, they could not waste our time and narrow it down to people they really want to hire contingent on an interview. People who are really good on paper. Like me (4.5 years experience, as you recall). Not pool a bunch of people together in an awkward and messed up situation.

What really annoys me is that my experience should preclude even having to DO this crap.

I think that experience counts for something, but not everything. Even if you've already worked retail before, they're going to have to train you again anyway with the specific information for their company, their procedures, how to use their cash registers, how to handle returns, etc... So in that sense, you don't have THAT much of a leg up over someone who has never worked in retail before.

ive worked at old navy. it was difficult. You have to work really really hard. Getting clothes to look good and making displays look good as the same time as customer service is not easy. You also have to be able to be fashionable. I had a group interview like this for express and I got that job. But I had to kill to get that job, like I have a professional design degree and I had to sel'l my design and fashion sense to get a job at express , its the fashion world. It is not going to be handed over to you on a plate. You've got to be seductive and be able to sell fashion and clothes.

I don't understand WHY we have to "meet" people. It's a job interview. It's all so fake. None of those people care what my favorite food is, or why I want the job. We are all just competing against each other for a very small number of available positions.

are you trying not to understand? - these kind of settings are not about the particular type of information you gather, but for hiring manager to see, who of the candidates is more sociable, more comfortable, less nervous, has a good memory ....

how would you suggest that someone picks candidates if on paper candidates look pretty much the same? (don't believe for a second that you are the only person there with significant experience)

apart from that, even if people are competing against each other, in any kind of situation where you meet new people, you never know if you may not find new friends or potential partners. Thus putting your best foot forward is always recommendable

Archived