Very worried and nervous about group job interview. (team building nightmare)

I speak jive, experience should be the MOST important factor.

actually, i just was reading an interesting article that said that the reason there are so many people out of work, and so many companies who can't find qualified workers is because they base the process too heavily on what skills the person already has vs. the ability of that person to be trained. i'd say that just because a person has been working retail for 5 years doesn't make them a better candidate than someone with no retail experience, but with a positive attitude and a fast learner.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i disagree, because people can be trained. i've never worked in retail. but i'm confident that i could if i had to.

Okay, well, there's nothing wrong with me. There's no reason I shouldn't be hired. It would be really insulting if some 18 year old who was outgoing got the job with no experience, and I was passed over because of the perception that I'm "shy."

Okay, not looking for judgments on my attitude or learning speed. I can be positive sometimes, negative others, like everyone. I would say I am smart and learn things relatively quickly.

i was not judging you. you're jumping to assumptions here. i'm pointing out why i think that experience is not the most important thing.

Okay, well, there's nothing wrong with me. There's no reason I shouldn't be hired. It would be really insulting if some 18 year old who was outgoing got the job with no experience, and I was passed over because of the perception that I'm "shy."

i think it depends on what the company is looking for. if they are going for someone upbeat and bubbly, then you know, it's their right to look for that.

i mean, retail is not that hard. it's not like we're talking about a neurosurgeon not getting a job because they are shy. it's retail. teenagers can do it. anyone can do it. you get the right training. it's just with a neurosurgeon, you have to go through a lot of years of school to get the interview.

I really would like someone to say something nice, something in my favor. Like how it's great that I have 4.5 years experience and I should definitely get the job. It seems like everything I read here runs counter to me wanting to have a positive self image and feeling that I'll do well and get hired.

Stress resistant human. Is that like purple grass? Or an unsalty ocean?

I've never worked in retail, however i also think the most important point for hiring someone is 'people skills'. As Annie said, I'm sure most people would be able to learn the skills required in a relatively short time.

The people skills are important, since you never know what type of customer you may encounter.

As for "stress resistant people" - yes, some people are better equipped to deal with stress than others. Or better put they can deal with stressful situations without letting it affect their professionalism and efficiency. Some type of jobs require this more than others obviously.

Employers often also rather hire someone with less experience (and thus a lower pay rate), but with a positive charisma and who can learn quickly.

All of this is not meant to say that you are unlikely to get the position you are applying for, but rather encouragement not to let yourself worked up about something that may not even occur.

It seems (maybe I am not interpreting correctly) that you are afraid that you will be unable to say anything if asked about yourself.

Instead of banking on you being unable to say anything (and thus being considered shy) why not try to let it slip into conversation how much experience you have with retail and why you would make a good employee.

What I'm hearing is: you're not a people person, your experience doesn't matter, you don't handle stress, etc etc....

You do realize that "people person" can be faked? How do you think I got my experience? I fake smiled and had fake conversations with people for my job.

Obviously I plan to repeat the fact that I have tons of experience and that sets me apart from others.

Also, people who are too outgoing can also have a weakness. They may be intolerant of quieter people who, believe it or not, do make up SOME of the population.

What I'm hearing is: you're not a people person, your experience doesn't matter, you don't handle stress, etc etc....

no one has said that your experience doesn't matter or that you don't handle stress well. you don't really come accross as a people person here, but maybe in real life, you are different? just my impression.

during your interview, you should point out your years of experience, your love of the job, and that you are good with handling difficult customers when you have come accross that situation in the past. focus on those things, not the format of the interview.

Would it jeopardize my job if I did poorly, didn't do it at all, or lied and made up a fictional person? I really can't stand this thought.

Will stupid team building crap weigh that heavily in their decision of who to hire?

This is what you asked in your OP. I didn't think we are here to discuss the hiring process or its fairness or how it should be, but you wanted to know if people think these kind of group activities (if it was to take place at all) COULD have an influence on the decision making process.

You got a resounding 'yes' from most responses: it COULD make a difference. You also got some explanations why people believe it COULD make a difference.

Nobody here is predicting what is going to happen, because nobody knows. You don't even know if this will take place or not.

So nobody is making judgments about YOU, but only talking about hiring process in general. - You are the one who is taking this as a lack of encouragement.

I can only relate what my experience with the hiring process is. It's not my fault that the system is not to your liking. But like you I have to live with what is a given, not with how i would like it to be.

Do I talk to absolutely everyone? No. Like a lot of people, sometimes I talk, sometimes I don't. I don't even know what you mean when you say I don't seem like a people person. What I hear is that you're calling me an unfriendly person.

I think sometimes you jump to conclusions instead of hearing out comments people are making.

IMHO, if you ask me "what is a people person?" well, first and foremost, i'd say it's someone that is comfortable in groups, comfortable making small talk, and comfortable talking to a wide range of people. and not only comfortable, but it's something that they really enjoy. a "team building group interview" seems like the kind of thing that a 'people person' would really enjoy. so it's not exactly a 'negative' characteristic to be or to not be a people person. it just is.

Honestly, even outgoing individuals find team building exercises stressful and awkward...nobody likes them. It's just extra hard for introverted people.

I'm not introverted. I'm actually really not. Nor am I shy. I am scared. Scared to reveal my true self because I have received feedback from a very young age that who I truly am is unacceptable.

Honestly, even outgoing individuals find team building exercises stressful and awkward...nobody likes them. It's just extra hard for introverted people.

There is nothing wrong being stressed about something, it just matters how you deal with it.

however, i don't think you are doing yourself any favors by always coming back with 'other people do this; all people do this ... etc'.

we are really not talking to all other people here.

and actually it's not true that everyone finds the same things stressful. some people wouldn't be fazed at all with those kind of exercises/interviews.

Archived