Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Silverbirches Bohemian Closet.

Silverbirch

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like all the pics Petite. Thank You. Well, last year, I started buying Bohemian style clothing - partly through lack of finances - partly also through the influence of friends from a bellydance group who are Op Shop Queens and who buy some clothing online. Also, out where I live are some wonderful markets though unfortunately, many of the clothing stalls are imports from South-East Asia. Still, there are a couple of local people who produce their own clothing. See if I can find a pic of a t-shirt I bought which is made of rayon - so comfortable and well-fitting.

I've gone through various stages with regards to clothes. I used to wear a lot of black, but now that I'm older, have gotten rid of it - too ageing. I also went through the stage of jeans with boots and all different styles of tops with different types of jewelry and bling. Back with a pic soon.

I couldn't find the same color and screen-print as the one I bought, but this is the closest to it. The photos on the site are a bit disappointing as I always see quite a few things of hers I like. She does her own screen-printing. Some of her tees such as the one I bought have small ties behind the neck which help to give it a nice feminine shape and it is so comfy. I bought a mulberry colored one and the screen print is of a heart with 2 doves on it. Last year I bought several pairs of harem pants and I also bought a navy colored batik long wrap around skirt which I plan on wearing again this year. I don't go out to formal places, mostly local BYO restuarants, cafes and sometimes festivals so they are the type of clothes I get the most wear out of - and I suppose that I feel most myself in.

link removed

I like No 1 the best. It's beautiful. Way back at the beginning of this thread, I was posting about Indian clothing. My friends who do the bellydance are right into that sort of thing and will spend hours online at the different Indian imports. They also go to various places throughout Melbourne's ethnic communities. I've gotten some very good buys at Little India in Dandenong and they go to the markets. I wish I had more time for that type of thing.

Last year, I also bought a couple of authentic Indian kurtas which were terrific. I wish I had bought more as the store is closed down now. They were extremely inexpensive and easy to wash. Last year, I wore them with leggings, but I'm getting more conservative as I'm getting older and will probably wear them with jeans this year which is a look I like anyway. I wish I had bought some kurta dresses. The ones I saw online last year don't seem to be available this year.

• 3 weeks later...

If you happen to be reading this petite, this morning I bought a pair of Liz Jordan navy trousers - perfect size and condition at an op shop for $2. Last week, I found 2 of those Channel type nautical navy and white striped casual stretch tops at Kmart for $9 each and I also picked up a really nice pair of tan colored sandler slip-ons for $2 which look unworn and are also a perfect fit and I think look nice with the navy pants. Definitely a more conservative look this year.

• 11 months later...

Haven't posted here for ages, but I have done a real switch in my interest in clothing since I last posted. Due to a change in lifestyle, I mostly wear jeans, and have acquired a couple of pairs of winter boots, but still looking for the perfect pair if retro cowgirl boots.

As well, I have become very interested in ladies fashion from 1890s to 1920 - so much happened in that time. I currently live outside a historical village in rural Australia, and have begun piecing together a period costume of 1890s rural ladies clothes as I plan on having a fruit stall a couple of times a year at local fairs.

Can someone help me please, I seem to have forgotten how to post links, but here is the photo of some of the clothes I have begun to collect.

We recently had our annual antique fair, and they had some lovely jewelry which was not that expensive. I also saw that in the new clothing stores in Melbourne this year, there is a definite influence in Victorian skirts (white petticoat style) and I also bought an inexpensive ladies summer jacket trimmed with black lace. Will post a pick later.

Vic, I have seen the MOST gorgeous paper doll reproduction books for $10 and less on Ebay.

This was the summer jacket I bought. I had decided not to wear any more black, but when I saw this I loved the black lace and that the style is fitted to accentuate the waistline. I will have to wear white or something bright under it and some nice jewelry. Thinking I would just wear it with jeans unless anyone has some good ideas. I can also wear it on occasion with my oldstyle skirt and petticoat.

Sorry my photo upload failed but I will try again later when I have gotten rid of previous attachments.

I currently am becoming addicted to googling sites and images of Victorian and Edwardian clothing. I'm finding it fascinating because I would say that the politics of the times and the everyday lifestyles of people, especially women,are so reflected in the clothing. Last night, I saw heaps of corsets, petticoats, knickers. They also used to wear the detachable lace collars. It would have been hell to wear all of that stuff if you lived in a hot climate. I personally wish often that bras were banned. I find them so uncomfortable so certainly couldn't imagine myself ever wearing a corset.

I found a large antique and retro clothing dealers site which is quite amazing. Some celebrity clothing is on the site for sale as some of them donate the proceeds to charity. There is an incredible cabaret dress made of Swarovski crystals which belonged to Liza Minelli - quite a lot of her clothes and the bowler hats worn by the chorus dancers in the film "Cabaret" are all for sale. There is also a lot of glamorous clothing which belonged to Carol Channing.

I never really liked hats - mostly because I don't think I can carry it off to wear them. The hats through the ages are fascinating, and there are loads of antique bonnets for sale too. I confess though, that what I liked most was the wedding dresses and honeymoon nighties from Victorian to flapper times. See if I can post a link.

Archived