Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Silverbirches Bohemian Closet.

Silverbirch

I thought I'd get in the act too following Dr.Kitten and Greywolf's threads. For years, I've been wearing lots of black, jeans and boots and rarely a dress or skirt. As well as a slight lifestyle change, I've had a bit of a heart change. I feel different on the inside. I started wearing my gold bangles again and I'm sick of black. I'm not going to get rid of it all, but I've started wearing colored lycra cammies , visible under my black tops to break the black. I do have some dresses, but I've decided that for my lifestyle, if I'm going to go more girly, a mostly simple Bohemian look might be right for me for several reasons. Firstly cost and also, I LOVE GOING TO OP SHOPS AND GOOD WILL STORES. I have a sewing machine and can make simple alterations. Time is a big factor though so I won't do anything too ambitious. Also, I enjoy going into Melbourne to the various Little India's where the clothes are very reasonably priced. I haven't bought much at all yet. One of the main things which has triggered this change is that I went back to bellydance classes and am doing tribal fusion bellydanc(and Burlesque) which is a mix of various types of dance with bellydance and often a gypsy influence. I also started up African and Arabic drumming and have been asked if I would like to participate in community performances so I'm looking about for clothes which I can wear for performances and then dress down somewhat for going out. I'm a small woman, reasonably slim with curves. You wouldn't know, probably because I never wear really low cut tops, but I have a D cupin bras. I don't want to wear tops which are too revealing, but I think a hint of cleavage is flattering for most women. I'd like to keep the stlyes and patterns relatively simple otherwise it can look too much on my small frame. I love jewelry too and have quite a collectiion as is. At the moment, my favourite colors are teal blue/green, deep turquoise and some shades of purple and violet. I like yellow-gold, but don't ownany yello-gold colored clothing yet. As I'm getting older, I'm finding that wearing too much black close to my face isn't flattering.

This is the first outfit I've seen in the style I would like to move to - I would rather a lighter colored top though - maybe white. I like and already have some simple white cotton Indian tops and recently bought a very nice pair of simple Indian sandals. I've been straightening my hair now for a couple of years - it's naturally very curly, but I think I would like to just straighten the fringe and part of my hair so that the bottom few inches fall into soft curls.

What do you think of this - for performancw - and then the skirt dressed down with a longer top for going out. I don't go out lots, but like to go to festivals and plan on going to a lot this year - we have regualr festivals in the area I live in.

link removed

I'd greatly appreciate opinions and any pics of Boho style clothing and jewelry and accessories you like too. Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have begun now having cold snaps with the weather here. It's mid-autumn and winter will soon be here. I have started getting out some winter clothes and given some thought to what a bellydancer might wear in winter. I'm sure it would be crushed velvet long skirts. I found one I used to wear years ago which is pretty. It's maroon colored with some delicate lace triangle inserts along parts of the hem. It was always a bit too long and I'm a little slimmer since I wore it so I'll have to adjust the size. I'll get a black velvet coin scarf to wear around the hips and look around for some tops which will go nicely with it. The stores here have just begun putting out their winter stock. It looks as though this year, the popular winter colors will be teal blue/green, deep turquoise and grape colored purple. Also, I've started looking around for sexy warm black leggings to wear underneath. When I used to wear that velvet skirt years ago, I used to wear it with high-heeled black boots and a long black woolen coat. It was so warm I used to love wearing it. Very feminine too.

I've just come accross a website of newly released photographs of Frida Kahlo. I think a lot are self-portraits. Apparently, there is also a recent book about her clothing and personal items called: "Self-Portrait in a Velvet Dress" which is recommended reading for students of textiles. She was a fascinating woman with incredible style. She has that type of iconic physical presence captured on film which few people have apart from the likes of Marilyn, James Dean, maybe Natalie Wood. Here's a link to what I think are some interesting pics of Frida. Whilst I wouldn't want to dress as dramatically as she did, her style, definitely Bohemian, and most definitely inspirational.

link removed

I thought I wasn't interested in black until I found this website - The Peruvian Connection - Apparell for Nomads and Romantics. The top is available with long or short sleeves. The have beautiful alpaca wool coats. None of it is cheap, but I'll bet the quality is very good and the styles slow to date - if at all for some of them.

link removed

Yay, more fashion journals!

I've always loved Frida Kahlo as an artist, but never really noticed her sense of fashion before. Very inspiring pictures.

And bookmarking that Peruvian Connection site, I really like some of the pieces there! This jacket is awesome: link removed

Hi Victoria and Dr. Kitten. Thanks for posting. I was thinking for a while I would be here on my own, but as I'm becoming more and more interested in Bohemien style, I thought I'd keep posting and I would also have a record of links.

Yes, I think given my current financial status, Bohemian clothing will suit my budget and I like it. Today, I went to the local op shop and I found a blouse in very similar fabric to the one you like Victoria, except that it is button down the front and short-sleeved in an electric blue. I'll wear it over one of my many long-sleeved black tea shirts to brighten it up.

Dr. K, when I saw that jacket you like, I thought immediately of Che Guevara and wondered if that was the inspiration for the designer. The Peruvian Connection has some lovely clothes. Since posting, I have recalled a market in Melbourne where I saw some clothing which definitely had that South American influence which was made and sold by textile students. It's only open on Sundays and I'm hoping I might get the chance to go in there some time. Still not cheap, but you will get something really sensational for around $120 which is made to last.

I spent $4 in total at the op shop on the blouse and a good quality turquoise colored cardigan. When I was in the village, I was looking at a lady who looked quite chic Bohemian in her style as many of the locals do. She seemed to have the knack for layering her clothes well - something I haven't developed myself just yet, but will work on - especially with the cold weather.

On my way to work in Melbourne, I stopped into Target to try some things for color. I can't get completely rid of my black because I have so much of it, but I'm definitely going to brighten the look up. For base colors, I'll be looking for grey with warmth - work trousers, long cardi's (length between the knee and calf) and then underneath wearing some really bright colors - magenta, purple, turquoise and teal blue/green. If only I had enough time to sew!

I found this interesting article on the History of Bohemian Style which might inspire me towards some more links with some images of Boho style so feel free to be inspired too!

link removed

I love this blue dress in John Waterhouse's painting, "Gather Ye Rosebuds". I'd wear it with my beige and gold Indian sandals, my gold bangles and a carefully selected pair of earrings. What would you wear with it. That type of fabric has been quite fashionable of late and the color becoming popular again. I love the color too. I have a beautiful black beaded shawl which I've had put away for a few years. If I was going somewhere really special, I'd wear the shawl with it. In the 1990's I used to wear long dresses - I can't recall exactly what it was referred to then, but some people used to tell me I looked a lot like Stevie Nicks (from Rumors album days) as I used to wear black ballet shoes with ribbons then with the long dresses - very comfy.

Was interesting looking at the women in his art when I googled "Images Waterhouse Art". Some of it looks a little too perfect to be really Bohemian to me, but I like a lot of it. There's a red satin one too which would look nice layered over something else. Giving me ideas!

link removed

Uh-oh,

I'm going to have to really try to be more careful. I am starting to build up a collection and found some really nice stuff. I bought this skirt the other day - new - greatly reduced, very good brand. It's just above the knee and has a lot of red in it. I need to get some high heels though that are just right and it looks good with a red cross-over stretch top I have. David has seen it on me and says it looks beautiful. It's weird being out of black and jeans, but I like it. I've also bought a purple top and a long latte colored woolen vest which has handkerchief type hemming on it - triangular folds rather than a straight hem. It's also low cut at the front and with the purple top which is also low cut, it looks and feels good.

Today I found something at the local op shop which brought back memories. I had a dress a long time ago, very much like it only a different color. It was from the days when people used to tell me I looked a lot like Stevie Nicks. It's a lightweight Indian cotton, long, with the handkerchief triangular hem and laces up over the bust down to the waist. It does need some work on it, and I've got it in the wash right now, but it is the only thing I've seen so far which has motivated me to get my sewing machine out. It's a little to large for me and I need to replace some elastic in the short gypsy style puffy sleeves.

Anyway, I was just thinking the other day about those clothes I used to have and wondered what I did with them all. For sure I would have sent them to the op shop, and I have some photos of me in one of them - the one very like the one I bought today. At that time, I was in a long-term relationship with this guy, and after I had been with him for a couple of years, he would tell me how much he hated my clothes. He always wanted me to wear dresses up my arse or really tight jeans. I never gave into that completely, but I'm ashamed to say that I did compromise myself to a degree. I didn't stop wearing the clothes completely. The worst part about it all was that there were other people, men and women who used to tell me I looked great, and I recall a guy in particular who in hindsight, I wish I had just dumped that person who eventually became an ex anyway, and I could have had a lot more fun and happiness with. I shake my head because he was what a lot of women would describe as a "much better catch". He was much better looking and a much nicer person than that ex who could never accept me for himself. In fact, I would say that he would be like that with any woman he was with. If I could meet myself back then as I am now, I would give myself a bloody good shaking and a kick up the arse.

David has seen a lot of old photos of me, and he especially liked the ones of me from the Stevie Nicks days. He thinks I looked beautiful. When I started buying these different clothes, I told him that I will be dressing for myself, what I like, and that I won't change the way I dress for anyone, including him. I told him about how Richard used to hate the way I dressed (he also complained that my friends were all "hippies" - they were mostly easy-going and fun-loving -they didn't gel with him either). I told David that even though I resisted changing for him, after a couple of years, I did find myself compromising and I regret it. I should have changed boyfriends, not clothes.

David went unusually quiet and said he liked everything about me - except that I still am smoking cigarettes, and he won't be changing his mind about that. I agreed with him, I don't like that about me either. It does feel good though to be liked for myself - it's more than just the clothes.

OMG, I had the nicest experience today with finding some amazing clothing which feels JUST right for me, and it was at an unbelievable price. I was in a large shopping centre and became aware of the sound of Indian Bollywood music. I looked accross from where I was, and there was a new clothing store selling Indian clothing. I was so drawn to it and was looking about thinking how lovely the clothes were but that I really need more everyday clothes. Got talking the the sales assistant, a young Indian woman who so terrific. She showed me these cotton Kurti tops - they are in between a long shirt and short dress which she suggested wearing with leggings. I've since seen that most Indian women are now preferring to wear them with leggings rather than harem pants. You can successfully wear lots of different types of shoes with them. I happened to have a shopping bag with a pair of black leggings with me which I had just bought and I had in fact bought a sort of boring navy tunic for work which I was going to wear the leggings with. Anyway, I tried on an assortment of Kurtis. I was surprised at how figure-flattering they are. The two I bought were only $15 each. I've searched the net, and haven't found any I like as much as the ones I bought. I bought a black and white one which has little white lotus flowers around the trim. I also bought a turquoise one with gold patterning on. The ones I bought don't have a pattern along the bottom - it's the same pattern all the way down the length of the garments which looks better on me as I'm very petite.

She had beautiful sandals for $5 - but alas too small for me, but I'm going to keep going back. She also has a good discount card which I have. Here's a link to some images of Kurta/Kurti tops, but like I said, the ones I bought I think are nicer.

link removed

Help! I can hardly get into my bedroom. There are clothes everywhere. I have 2 double wardrobes and bags with clothese folded away. I have to get rid of some - quite a lot actually. Some will go to the op shop. I'm thinking about taking others to a place where they sell clothes on consignment. I just have to get rid of some so I can fit in the room.

Also, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. No more clothes for me. I'm supposed to be trying to save money. I do need black legging though - to wear with the dresses I have now. It is so weird that I feel so uncomfortable in jeans now. Not sure what I'm going to do when the cold weather really hits. I just don't want to wear trousers. I feel constricted in them. I think I have enough red, turquoise and a bit of purple to take the morbidness away from all the black I have though a lot of the tees are going to be worn underneath my other clothes to stay warm. I feel sort of guilty, and I know I'm at a point now where I have to STOP.

Okay, I have started clearing through my wardrobe and it's going to be a BIG job. I'm one of those people who hates throwing things out or even getting rid of them, and I can't afford to get rid of all of it and just replace everything. I've sorted out basically what I'm going to keep to be part of my everday wardrobe for this coming season (winter). I think the Kurta's or similar plus some bright red and other bright colored long-sleeved tees, mostly just $8 ones will be a big cost-saver as I'll be able to wear some of the really drabbly colored woolens which are what has mostly dominated my winter wardrobe. Then I'll work out the very basics of what I need and stick with it. As well as a lot of black, I have a long rust-colored hand-knitted cardi which somebody made me for xmas 2 years ago which is definitely staying and an olive colored long cowl-necked vest. I've seen some lovely kurtas with rust, orange and gold in the patterns so I'll see what I can get in kurtas. Under the long cardis, you get enough of a hint of the brightly colored and/or patterns of the kurtas to brighten up the drabbness. It all looks good with my gold bangles.

I also need to get a practical style of boot to be able to go with the leggings for work. Probably a lace-up pair with a not too large heel will be best. I do have boots, but they're all the horsey gal style, and I'd like something with more of a sort of slight gypsy look to them. Nothing too masculine-looking.

I know it's a luxury I can't afford right now, but I'd love a nice gold engraved lockett. I had a beautiful one years ago, and when I got burgled, I had almost all my jewelry stolen. I didn't know until then that none of my jewelry was covered by insurance although the house contents were. Police found the thief (he confessed to burglaring 26 other houses). He claimed he couldn't remember what he did with my jewelry! It made no difference to me that he went for another stretch inside - it didn't bring back my jewelry.

I'd like to play around with a sort of slightly eclectic look. In my bedroom, I have a combination of Victorian-style furniture and Indian soft-furnishings that works well. I think that could work well with clothing as well - lace tops with indian-printed skirts though that is more of a summer style. A gold locket with the kurtas would look nice too.

I'd better get on with my sorting now.

Okay, I have started clearing through my wardrobe and it's going to be a BIG job. I'm one of those people who hates throwing things out or even getting rid of them, and I can't afford to get rid of all of it and just replace everything. I've sorted out basically what I'm going to keep to be part of my everday wardrobe for this coming season (winter). I think the Kurta's or similar plus some bright red and other bright colored long-sleeved tees, mostly just $8 ones will be a big cost-saver as I'll be able to wear some of the really drabbly colored woolens which are what has mostly dominated my winter wardrobe. Then I'll work out the very basics of what I need and stick with it. As well as a lot of black, I have a long rust-colored hand-knitted cardi which somebody made me for xmas 2 years ago which is definitely staying and an olive colored long cowl-necked vest. I've seen some lovely kurtas with rust, orange and gold in the patterns so I'll see what I can get in kurtas. Under the long cardis, you get enough of a hint of the brightly colored and/or patterns of the kurtas to brighten up the drabbness. It all looks good with my gold bangles.

I also need to get a practical style of boot to be able to go with the leggings for work. Probably a lace-up pair with a not too large heel will be best. I do have boots, but they're all the horsey gal style, and I'd like something with more of a sort of slight gypsy look to them. Nothing too masculine-looking.

I know it's a luxury I can't afford right now, but I'd love a nice gold engraved lockett. I had a beautiful one years ago, and when I got burgled, I had almost all my jewelry stolen. I didn't know until then that none of my jewelry was covered by insurance although the house contents were. Police found the thief (he confessed to burglaring 26 other houses). He claimed he couldn't remember what he did with my jewelry! It made no difference to me that he went for another stretch inside - it didn't bring back my jewelry.

I'd like to play around with a sort of slightly eclectic look. In my bedroom, I have a combination of Victorian-style furniture and Indian soft-furnishings that works well. I think that could work well with clothing as well - lace tops with indian-printed skirts though that is more of a summer style. A gold locket with the kurtas would look nice too.

I'd better get on with my sorting now.

• 6 months later...

Can't believe it's so long since I wrote here. We have just come into the warmer weather here which is a relief after the drab winter. Time to clear out my wardrobe and feel alive again. I have just started wearing dresses again, and I'm still very fond of the Indian kurtis worn with leggings. I managed to get myself some lovely Italian-made leggings, so comfy and well-fitting. Only a little dearer, but look so much nicer - very flattering to the legs.

I want to try and find some longer kurtis - ones that are actually dresses rather than long tops. I've seen some on the net which are beautiful, but I'd rather go to a store where I can try some on. I know of some markets with lots of Indian shops which I'll have to get to as well as store not too far away where I bought the kurtis earlier in the year. I've been wearing the kurtis. The store has a website with just a few pics, but so much in the store. Here's a pic close to what I bought previously though I have a black and white kurta and a turquoise, green and gold one. At full price, they were $25 but I got mine for $10

link removed

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I bought a pair of "Ali Baba"/harem/hippy pants. I didn't think I would ever wear anything like this but was attracted to the fabric and tried them on. I love them and they are so comfy. Over the next 2 months, we will have some extremely hot days - over 40 degrees on occasions, often in the high 30's so I think they will get a lot of wear. I had a look at how they are made, and they look easy. When I am wearing them, they look more like a long skirt than a dress, and I think look nicest on me with a close-fitting, stretch fabric, solid color top. I couldn't find any pics of ones that are exactly like I bought but can maybe post a pic later. They are definitely bohemian and I love them. I paid $20 for them on sale.

These ones are not quite the same as mine - I don't show any exposed band - and mine have around 8 inches of shirring elastic at the top and are patterned. It is however, a similar type of Bohemian style. I'll be on the lookout for a style and accessory to wear my hair back on those very hot days. I think the look is much better too if you select a top which shows some cleavage (and upright boobs) - depending on where you are wearing it. If an oversize blouse or too high neck is worn, I think the look can become dowdy, shapeless and too covered up. The model in the pic would look better I think in a lower neckline top.

link removed

• 2 weeks later...

I see there are a lot of tutorials on the internet for making wrap around skirts which are easy. I bought a Thai Silk short wrap around which is beautiful and which I get compliments for every time I wear it. I also have a skirt very similar to the one in the pic here - another short one. Mine isn't wrap around, but I've been keeping my eye out for fabrics and scarves, etc at op shops and I will have a go at making my own recycled wrap around skirts. I also have a lovely skirt which I usually wear just above the knee. It isn't wrap around, but just has some rows of shirring elastic up the top which makes it almost a free size fitting. I bought it from K-Mart for $10.

link removed

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, I was on a mission to explore interesting textiles, especially in goodwill stores. Several Indonesian batik sarongs and wraps caught my eye. The nicest was a dar, almost navy blue long wrap around skirt, not too fancy in pattern design. My plan was to remake the fabric into a pair of harem pants, but when I showed a friend, she thought it looked lovely as a skirt. I'm discovering my own style more and more.

What I think looks most stylish is to just have one major part of the whole outfit in some type of ethnic/boho and the rest should be in western casual easy to wear and care. For example, the brightly colored harem pants or skirts look best with a plain solid colored pretty tee - something in stretch cotton. I also have an Indian sequined kurta style longish tope in olive green with some gold beading and sequins. It looks good with faded blue denim shorts.

I realised that some of the most popular designers here who produce en masse and grossly overcharge for the younger people are doing a similar thing. Brands such as "Billabong" and "Stussey" are largely influenced by Balinese fabrics - especially as one of the most popular looks is the "casual hippy beachwear style'.

Anyway, with my navy wrap-around skirt, I've found a plain but pretty navy singlet-style cotton stretch top which I think looks nice. I've got a small collection now of pretty sandals and surprised that I get comments about my painted toenails!

I have another idea for my next textile expedition. I've googled through so many images of Balinese and Indian skirts, and whilst I love so many of the fabrics, they are nearly always designed in horizontal lines. Vertical lines would be so much more figure-flattering for almost any woman on earth. I'll have my eye out for some fabric or a skirt which could be re-made with horizontal lines. I think this image here has more horizontal lines, but they aren't common.

link removed

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a book which I'm finding very interesting. It's written by one of the Grand-daughters of the Bloomsbury painters, Vanessa Bell. Apparently, at the turn of the century, there were a few radical societies which sprang up to promote "sensible dressing". Up until that time, women were expected to conform to social decency and wear agonising corsets, layers of woolen underwear, bustles, pointy shoes, and they wore their hair very long. Men also were expected to dress and groom themselves in ways which were very impractical. Augustus John, a famous painter was one of the early pioneers of rebelling against social expectations of how men were supposed to dress - wearing long coats with tails and high collars and ties to the opera. He wore bohemian pants pretty much like the ones I wear.

Some of the reasons that the female painters were instrumental in influencing clothing style were that it was impossible for them to paint wearing those ridiculous contraptions. Most of them were forced to live in poverty so a lot of their clothing was pretty much make-do, but it was also part of their rebellion against Victorian society. They wore their Bohemian clothing proudly because it was a symbol of who they were and what they believed in. I JUST LOVE IT!

PS Yesterday, I found 2 beautiful pairs of Bohemian pants for $4 each. I also found 2 stretch cotton long-sleeved tees with some designs painted on them and some Indian beading. Very comfortable, and very practical - and hardly cost a thing.

I'm also developing a keen interest in handbags and shopping basket styles from various countries. I have a LOVELY colored stripe handbag with a little beading on it. I think that people have them bought for them as presents by friends and family when they travel overseas and as unwanted gifts, find their way into the goodwill stores. Thank You people! I appreciate them. I've also had it put to me that at the rate I am going, when I get tired of some of my clothing, I will be able to sell it at a market stall nearby where people go to find that type of clothing.

Yesterday, I went into a local artisan clothing and homeware store. I've gotten to know the owner - she's very friendly and interesting. She has one parent who is Japanese and has spent time there. She creates re-mastered jewellry and homewares, mostly with a Japanese flavor.

Anyway, I went in yesterday looking for hair accessories. She was all out of them atm, but did go to the back of the store and brought out something - a gift for me. It was a Japanese chopstick hair pin - a simple style with a very small flower and she showed me how to roll my hair up and place the hair clip. I got several compliments throughout the day. Here's a link to a similar but much larger store in New York, and there is a pic there of similar hair accessories to the one I was given.

link removed

• 6 months later...

Well, it's coming to the change of seasons, and soon I can bring out those clothes I bought last year. I've been poorer in the time since I posted and bought virtually nothing in winter. I have developed a few more good habits in reducing spending.

I'd like to change my look this year - but by wearing the clothes I already have to give them a slightly different look.

My appearance is a bit different now - I'm brunette again and my hair is shorter than it has been for 20 years. I've decided that I would like to go back to wearing figure flattering jeans. I'm still out of black, and I like the look of jeans with a navy long-sleeved T with different jackets, cardis or whatever over them. I've been looking around for reasonably-priced good quality navy flats with a slight platform or heel, but no luck so far. I was thinking of wearing the kurtas with jeans and flats which is a popular look with the younger women in India.

I still like Bohemian, but especially as I'm getting older, I'd like to develop my own style so that I can blend a Bohemian piece with a classic, comfortable and simple look. Any ideas?

I did see a navy Indian cotton top, reasonably-priced which I think would look great with jeans and flats. I could wear different bling and accessories. Here's a pic. Any suggestions.

link removed

Archived