Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Silverbirches Bohemian Closet.

Silverbirch

I like that top! It looks so breezy and comfortable. My only concern is that it looks slightly sheer? I can see the waistline of her pants and possibly a bra through it. If the store has a good return policy, it might be worth it to try it and see.

My style isn't particularly Boho, but I have a scarf that link removed that I like to pair with my classic grey blazer, white blouse, dark, jeans and flats. It keeps the outfit from being totally business casual by adding a fun color and pattern. Maybe you can play with classic "staple" pieces (jeans, tees, cardigans, etc.) and spice them up with Boho jewelry and accessories.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Dr. K. I agree about the sheerness. I do have a stretch plain navy cami I would wear underneath. I have some grey clothing, but I don't think it is my most enhancing color although I like it. I think that when I wear navy, it looks good when I wear some white with it , especially around the neck line - it lights my face up more. Now that I'm brunette again, I've started wearing a brighter lipstick which gives me a lift as well. I'll take a look at your scarf. Thanks.

Having a lot of probs with my server today so I lost replies to you. Yes, beige looks great with navy. Never thought about pink. Will have a try. I'm thinking of getting some color change for shoes I already have and change them to the deepest shade of navy I can find. Lots of the flats around have bows on them which I don't like for me. Lots of buckles as well. I prefer these to the bows, but not big buckles.

Hi Dr. K. if you are there. I've been looking around the stores and there was very little around in navy. Then this morning, I went past this store which I've bought from before. Their clothes are not cheap and mostly for older women, but I've always thought that one of their designers, Liz Jordan, just doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. She designs so that her clothes flatter women right through to whatever age. I recall being in there one day, chatting with this lady of around 70 and the clothes would have looked right on both of us. Anyway, I see that they have teamed hot pink with navy and I love the look. The jacket is not in my price range unfortunately ($150). They also had a beatiful navy stretch shirt, but it was $80. I'm thinking of having a go at fabric dyeing. I have quite a few nice stretch white tops, but just too impractical for me.

Anyway, here is a pic of a navy dress teamed with a hot pink jacket. The jacket actually looks even nicer off photo as there is very nice finishing and classic detail.

link removed

Hi Dr. K. I had to hang about the outer city yesterday waiting for my dog to get clipped and groomed. I went to this big clearance centre where they have good brands at much cheaper prices. I tried to be honest and objective and I ended up not spending a cent. A lot of the things there were items nobody wanted to buy or very large or very small sizes.

I did see some cardis I'm sure you would love. Would you believe at half-price - they were still $110. They were made by Oroton. They had a beige which was lovely. I'll see if I can find pics.

Having a few probs this morning which I think are with my connection. I went to the Oroton website and the cardis I saw are retailed for $295 at the website. They only have the black on the website and the photo doesn't do it justice. They had various colors in the store - the beige in particular was lovely. I forgot to check, but they looked like they were made from cashmere or something like that. Around 20 years ago, I bought 2 angora short sleeved tops - one red, and one turquoise for $90 each which was really something I knew I probably would never be able to do again but at that time, I had come into some money. I still have those tops - they still look good. If I had a bit more money, I would definitely consider buying one of those cardis. If you have an Oroton store near you, I really think you would find things there which you would like even though the store seems to attract older women with money. I bought some jewelry from them too 20 years ago, but unfortunately, that was stolen when my home was burgaled. I love some of their handbags.

The only other store I went into which I think had very nice products at heavily discounted prices was Evelyn Crabtree, and English company which I've never bought from before because of the prices. They are traditional, and again, more likely to appeal to a much older person. I normally wear Tommy Girl, but only buy it on sale for around $25. Evelyn Crabtree has an amazing talc called something like "Summer Love". Their Wisteria perfume was beautiful and went well with the talc. It's just coming into spring here and I literally felt like a beautiful late spring day when I put on the testers. The perfume was reduced from $68 to $26.

link removed

I LOVE hot pink! I've been spending money like i have it! My sis has a new purse, and mine was really looking ratty! REALLY RATTY....but i loved that purse. So i got on ebay to see if i could find one like it. I bought 7 purses in 2 weeks. I really love a couple....and despise ONE that i bought off a website...but looks plasticy. The other's are all designer purses. I spent DOUBLE on a couple of them, that i had ever spent before.

Gotta stop. I swear it's an addiction. ugh. If i just lost weight..i'd have all kinds of nice clothes to wear!

I'm really into the dang yoga pants. I told my 'friend' tonite, i can eat a whole chicken, and still fit into those pants! lol

Not sure if you're speaking about the Chalet Wrap, it's made from 100% cotton and it's very luxurious and soft. I have several in different colors, and they really do last a long time. DFO's might have it for cheaper, especially when it's Sale time.

You could try and put it on lay-by if you would really like one. Also not sure if you've signed up to their newsletter but they often send emails when they have sales and on their website there is the "OUTLET" tab which is basically everything at a reduced price, usually last season, but most clothing they have is pretty timeless apart from a few pieces and will literally last years. Considering Noni B and other places have sweaters and jackets around $70 and at times $80, it isn't surprising that Oroton is more expensive as it's considered a luxurious but affordable high quality band.

link removed

That said, I have to disagree about the older women with money. The brand itself attracts people that usually like higher quality of all ages (girls as young as 20 are buying their handbags in particular), but it's definitely not a premier designer brand which many wealthy women go for, such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel etc. Oroton is more on the 'entry' level of luxury, definitely good quality, but wealthy women tend to buy cardis way more expensive than those sold at Oroton.

If you can put away a bit each month, I'm sure there will be some awesome sales after Christmas, and those wraps wont go away, they come back every year in different colors.

Hi and Thanks Petite. LOL, well, maybe I should have said "wealthy compared to me". These days for me, $295 is a huge amount of money to pay for a cardigan. Unless I win Tatts, it won't happen - I wouldn't even spend that much on a layby - but they are beautiful. Then again, the DFO price of $110 was very good for the timeless cardis I saw. I don't know if they were called Chalet Wraps but I will see if I can find oout. They were beautiful. Do you really think they have great sales after Xmas? What sort of prices are they asking. I loved their clothes. What colors did you buy Petite! I think I liked the beige with the gold buttons the most. It was a very warm, rich beige. Do you mind me asking if you are in Melbourne or surrounds?

$295 is a lot, I suppose I was just pointing out that while Oroton is considered a luxurious yet affordable high quality band, their main target audience aren't wealthy people. I'd say their target audience would be middle class or perhaps even younger girls from upper middle class, whose parents want to buy them something nice for a birthday but not as extravagant as a higher-end premier brand.

The Chalet Wrap doesn't have buttons, it's got a belt that's basically made from the same type of material as the chalet wrap. I think it's possible we might be talking about a different cardi, because you mention buttons. You might be speaking about the hans knit cardigan, but the one I have doesn't have gold buttons.

I have the chalet wrap in a white/off white, black, maple sugar which I guess would be the beige, grey which was from either last year or the year before. I quite like their knits because they last a really long time and they can easily be matched with dress pants, jeans, skirts, even some dresses. They're extremely versatile. Most of their stuff lasts a really long time, if it's well taken care of naturally.

As far as Christmas sales go, it really depends on the items. Some older stock can go for quiet a lot cheaper. It's hard to really say, some things sell quickly and other items drag on and they want it gone by next year. Their big sales are just before tax time and around or after Christmas time.

They had one handbag a couple seasons ago, which was really nice, extremely soft leather but priced too highly for my liking. If I'm going to shell out that much money then I'll go for a different brand, so I waited until sale time and got it 50% off which was pretty reasonable. I really abused it actually (tend to carry a ton with me LOL), but other than a small scratch I made with my key, it's held up really well. The scratch isn't even too noticeable but because I know it's there I can spot it.

Think of it this way, while you might be able to get 3 cardi's at Target for that price, they won't be made wit the quality the Oroton cardi is made, and it won't have the luxurious feel. Plus it will last you years if you hand wash it and don't abuse it. Christmas is just around the corner, maybe someone will spoil you with a gift card to Oroton.

Hi Petite. I know what you mean now. Yes, I would love something like that as a gift. I haven't posted earlier because I've been searching for an image to show you. I have found it, but the photo really doesn't do justice to the garment. The pic is in black, but the colors I saw were really beautiful, especially the beige - yes more of a syrupy maple as you describe and it had gold buttons. There was an unusual orangey-mustard which I liked as well. They were plain button down the front, with a small pocket on both lower front sides. The quality of the wool was superb and I'm sure as you say, if care was taken when washing them, you could expect them to last years and years. Anyway, here is the pic, albeit disappointing one.

link removed

Ye, that's the Hans Knit cardi, it's made from silk and cotton. I've got that one in white or rather off-white (I wear it to work) but the one I have is the one with white buttons. I just bought a bright pink knit, from them on sale which I' excited to wear after I give birth. link removed I love bright colors so this one is right up my alley.

OH that is beautiful Petite. Congratulations on impending motherhood! When is your baby due?

The Hans Knit cardi came in a lot of lovely colors. I liked the pink, but especially the orangey-mustard. To me, that cardi has a sort of Chanel style - that it is simple and practical but of a beautiful fabric/fibre. Any thoughts on what you think Chanel would be designing if she was still around? I'm sure she would be producing riding style pants with boots and lovely knits like the Orotons for leisure-wear. She was meant to be keen on riding horses - untrained and quite a hoon. She refused to ride side-saddle and was daring for the time by wearing boys clothing to wear while riding.

Coco would have to keep up with the times, much like other premier designers. Some people say she'd be horrified with what Karl Lagerfeld has done to the brand, but quit frankly I think he has to always push further. With that said I think Coco would have perhaps followed similar steps. She always said fashion only lasted temporarily, and she always remained involved with its latest developments and trends. I think she herself would have remained timeless in her way of dressing but the brand could not sustain alone with that type of style. While their main target audience are the rich and wealthy, these people come in different forms so only creating timeless items would not have kept the brand on the map it is now. She wasn't a simple woman and thus wouldn't have kept the brand timeless and simple.

I personally can't imagine being similar to Oroton. They are simply in a different league or craftsmanship. A Chanel sweater can cost around $1500-2000 a handbag can be $4000 while Oroton never goes over $1000 I think I've seen only one Oroton handbag that was priced at $900ish and it wasn't anything special. The type of leisure wear that Oroton created would have been very different to what Coco would make (I think) and I just don't think the two can be compared.

I have 6 weeks to go.

Maybe I have misunderstood some things, but I was strongly under the impression of a few things about Coco - that especially compared to the times she lived in, she played a major revolutionary role with regard to women's clothing - major components being simplicity and comfort. Whilst she wasn't English, I'm under the impression that she would have been influenced by English Bohemians of the Victorian and post-Victorian periods of time - when rebel women started cutting their hair short and wearing trousers. (A book I enjoyed very much on this is called: "Dancing with the Bohemians"). She found the style of many wealthy women of her time to be vulgar, although she did really like jewelry. I was under the impression that she also designed and produced "costume jewellry". Although she could afford the real stuff herself, she wanted working class women to be able to afford lovely jewelry as well. She pioneered the use of jersey fabric in women's clothing after she began wearing the singlets of an English lover which were made from jersey and she also pioneered the nautical look into women's fashion. I suppose from all of this, I'm not thinking so much of Coco as designing for the rich, but as a woman who was extremely innovative for her time and whose influence is still seen so much today. I read also that she got a real kick out of the fact that designers of much cheaper ranges of clothing were copying her styles which were affordable to working class women. I got the impression that she didn't much like many wealthy people - but it was through wealthy clientele that she was able to become very successful and financially independent.

Good luck with the birth!

Oh, absolutely she did. I wasn't trying to say she didn't. I was just pointing out that in this time and age she would be the fashion as i is now. I won't deny that I believe the face of Chanel would be a bit different if Coco were alive, that said, I don't think she could change much about the fashion world as it stands now. She wouldn't be bringing anything revolutionary to the fashion world in this time, at least that is what I believe.

You're absolutely right she did design jewellery for the everyday woman so to speak, but have you also seen the prices of Chanel items? These prices are not what the average woman can pay on a middle class salary.

She changed the way women dress and saw fashion, in her time. She was responsible for modernizing European fashion. Could she do the same NOW? I really doubt it because so much is available to us now. I just don't think she'd be able to do that in the year 2013. Would she be taking more 'risks' now, I absolutely believe that, but we've seen so much from fashion houses that nothing is truly revolutionary anymore. Women are free to dress as they wish, the way she was able to modernize European fashion back in her time, is simply in a different league and standard now. Would she influence the fashion world now? And could she? Yep, definitely, but I don't think she'd be the one making huge changes above every other fashion house.

Hey thanks - I meant to say, The French Fisherman's look she liked, not nautical - like this! I've seen it in the shops AGAIN this year. Well, where I live, the Boohemians at least, are fond of the Indonesian fisherman's pants, LOL! Ill be going past Brandsmart on the way to work tomorrow so will probably drop in.

link removed

Archived