would you ever date your cousin's cousin (NOT AT ALL RELATED)?

sportsgirl389

for a while now apparently, my cousin's cousin (on the other side of the family and not related to him), has been interested in dating me. my family has been telling me but i kept saying no we are just friends. well apparently when my cousin found this out she freaked and said they will never date and ill make sure of it. which if it did turn into anything i would tell her right there she has no say its between me and him. I have hung out a few times with him, he invited me to a hockey game last year with him because we both like the same team and he got the tickets from work, so just me and him went since it was only 2 tickets, his friend ended up coming by us towards the end. He also came out for my b-day which i thought was nice of him since he only knew my brother & I out of everyone there when my own cousin didn't even show up but he did. ANYWAY, we have hung out a few times and we do have a good time, my family keeps trying to get me to hang out with him i have been thinking about calling him up to hang out again. the thing is im not sure if it will go anywhere i dont want to rush into anything just want to see where it goes. he mentioned once to my aunt that he saw my online profile (i tried out a dating site) and he told her how we had a lot in common (thats how they all knew he was interested in me). the thing is, if we do hit it off, i dont want to cause problems between him and his cousins if most of them dont "approve", i don't care what my cousin says but i know he is close with some of his other cousins and i don't want to ruin that for him. which, they all like me and we get along so that works but not sure what they will think of the whole dating thing since he is my cousin's cousin. i know i shouldnt care what others think and i don't but like i said i don't want to ruin his relationships with his cousins if they don't like the idea either...any suggestions?...sorry if that all sounded like babbling and totally confusing...it's hard to explain....lol. thanks for the help!

If this strikes your conscience, which it already does, leave it alone. Find someone who you feel comfortable with and can feel proud showing off to others, and in explaining how you met. You already sound like you're ashamed of the relationship, and you're NOT EVEN WITH HIM. Bad way to start off.

Even though you say you're not related, in your mind, you are. Which is why you feel incest-y about it and are worried about what others will think. Its not a problem: just find someone else.

I actually had that problem when I was about 16 - I met a guy who ended up being a cousin of a cousin, so there was no blood relation between us, but I still felt weird that we technically shared a cousin. Nobody else seemed to think twice about it though, and we dated for a little bit. Although I didn't tell my friends that he was a cousin's cousin because it does sound sort of strange and I didn't want people getting the wrong idea.

I know that doesn't help, haha. But I understand.

Archived