First Loves

cupcake22

I went to a wedding last summer for a friend who was marrying her high school sweetheart (and they were done with college and into jobs, her an interpreter and him a cop), and they never came apart and they both never had anyone else. It happens. Funny thing too, the husband's other brothers all also married their first loves. Must run in the family.

I don't like to believe in the idea of "the one" for a few reasons. Best reason, if there is but one person int he world with whom you can share your life, it's a pretty big world so how likely is it that you'll meet?

That being said, I met a girl when I was 19 and I fell deeply in love with her and even today, certain things can cause me to recall her face, her smile or her voice. However, when I was 22, I met another girl who was going through some very hard times and I helped her out by giving her a proverbial shoulder to cry on and some advice here and ther. I never became romantically involved with the second girl as she was too emotionally fragile for me to try anything but I felt a strong connect towards her and I've little doubt that, in happier circumstances, I could have grown to love her too.

So in short, I believe there are many people we could potentially love. This doesn't make loosing one's first love any easier to accept but it does show, at least for me, that there is always another person out there for each of us.

Archived