Anxiety and Job Searching

annie24

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, I just recieved an email this morning stating that I have not won a fellowship to the Center I wanted to go to for work (it was in europe). basically, the prof liked me but said he can't pay for me so i would have to get a fellowship to work for him. there was one fellowship offered by the institute but that's the one that i just got rejected on. sigh. this sucks. i don't think it's likely to find another fellowship to go to this institute.

I'm still down about not getting my first choice job. But I guess that's life and life moves on, right? you have to keep trying. My mood alternates between hopeful and despair. I know it shouldn't be like this. Financially, i'm well off enough to not work for several years. but of course, that's not what i want.

I got a book today "What does somebody have to do to get a job around here? 44 insider secrets that will get you hired." it's a really good book so far, mainly how hiring managers are looking to 'exclude' candidates instead of hiring them. any red flags, and you are toast. and even if you are perfect for the job, they might not hire you because you are not fitting into the category they want. even if it's not legal, it's still done. one example that the author gives is a hiring manager looking for an older 'matronly' type to be the secretary for an executive with a jealous wife. that's just one example. i guess if you have 100 resumes to look through, even the smallest mistake can put you in the no pile.

so, it sucks, but it's good to read this book and really bone up on what i can do to most improve my chances at getting a good job.

i woke up in a panic last night at 3 AM, i don't know why. argh.

I think you should have tried applying for that job even if you mentor discouraged you in doing so. Don't let other people discourage you like that. You should have tried regardless of your mentors advice. The best way to avoid being influenced by other people like that is not telling them your plans . People have all kinds of reasons why they might discourage others in their plans and in majority of the cases it is not unselfish act of help. Not that I say such "help" might be caused by ulterior motives only, but mostly subconscious reasons even the person giving "help" cannot detect while "helping".

If i listened to other people by now I would not:

-be a driver

-finished university

-continued learning English as a foreign language

etc.

Every time I have an an ambitious plan there is someone willing to "help" me by discouraging me.

Try, fail and say to no one you failed. Much better option than think about trying, quite before you failed.

Hugs

Oh and yes, job searching is very stressful and I loath people who are strong enough not to be influenced by it. lol

So take the anti anxiety meds. I am stuffing myself with valerian pills lately since I discovered it helps me cope with the stress. Job searching will be easier if you lower your anxiety levels.

my friends have been super supportive and have been sending me lots of links for european jobs. i need to work on another application this weekend, and then keep looking. and preparing for the us interview i have in 2 weeks.

i'm struggling with going back on my medication, or just really learning how to get past everything without drugs. relaxation exercises, etc...

it's a tough job market for everyone i think, and i have to remind myself this is all normal. although i do have some friends that managed to get the first job they applied for and that was that.

good luck annie!

also, do try to take some time to travel/rest before you jump into your next job.

I never did and I still regret it to this day.

And maybe it's bc I never got a proper rest but I havent been as productive as I was back when I was dissertating.

But that could also be bc I am getting oooooold

• 3 weeks later...

I really do want to take a break/rest. i guess i will have the chance soon.... as soon as i am done in this lab.

So, i had an interview. it went well overall.... but now it turns out the prof doesn't have money for me right now. he'll know in a few months if some becomes available. sigh. in the meantime, i'm just waiting. i've applied to two more international labs. and 1 government lab position, and 2 government fellowships. and now i wait. but either way, it will be a few months before i know anything. waiting sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

well, there was a slot in the department for funding... but then it was filled by someone else. sigh. but, he wanted to interview me, i guess if the slot opens up, he would like me. but i won't know for a while. i'm hoping some of the other things i've applied for come through!!! it's a bad funding environment in the sciences right now.... i guess it wasn't a total waste of time because i met people, gave a talk, had a chance to interact with other scientists, etc....

i've applied to another job last week, haven't heard anything there. it's a lot of waiting right now.

The waiting is killing me too and I'm finding I'm just exhausted. There is no other word. If something doesn't materialize from the leads I've generated here recently I think I will take some carefully calculated time off so I don't burn out from looking for a job. I can't begin a new position feeling this way.

Annie are you still at least working in your dissy lab for a while? You may have said if you were but I can't remember.

yes, i am still working in the same lab, finishing up a project. unfortunately, nothing is working for me right now and it's frustrating as well. sigh.

the good news is that a government job i applied for, i've made it past the preliminary round (where the computer reads your resume and determines if a real life human should read it next). bad news is that there are 64 other applicants. the ad said that more than one position might be filled with the announcement, so who knows..... we'll see.

I just got an email (I'll call him professor #3) - I applied to his lab last month. he wrote me to say....... he's been really busy but will get to my application soon. sigh. lol. wait some more. I told him no problem and that i look forward to talking with him about the projects.

My anxiety has come back bigtime. sigh. I got off of lexapro several months ago thinking that all was ok now that I finished my dissertation. but the anxiety/light-headedness keeps coming back. whenever i get really stressed, i get very light-headed/dizzy. it makes it hard to focus and i just 'shut down'. it's been on and off, but finally today, i think i need to get back on it and i popped a pill. sigh. i'm stressed right now about this work i am trying to publish but now i think it might not be publishable at all, and ugh, it's just annoying. and stressful. sigh. i really wish and hope and pray that i get this fellowship i really want. I'll find out in the next month or so.

Archived