How is it possible to have a big family in 2010?

lostnscared

I think that in America and other industrialized countries we are used to many luxuries that we consider necessities. If you get rid of those, I can see how someone would be capable of raising more children. Personally though, I like my luxuries.

I agree. I like my luxuries too. I think having more than 3 kids, would mean that either one is wealthy or that one has had to sacrifice certain luxuries, or certain material items in order to have that big family. I don't think 3 children is a lot. It's actually more "average". Four child is on the border of being a lot, but to me that isn't a huge number either. I can see 3 or 4 kids doable for a slightly upper middle class family, but can't seem the average middle class family affording more than 4 kids without having to sacrifice a lot. I personally can't see myself having more than 3 children, though if I was in a good financial position and if I was able to have more I suppose I would have more children.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was raised blue collar, but both me and my brother went into white collar jobs. However now my brother is in the Army studying to be a doctor so not sure whether that would be white collar (being a doctor) or blue collar (military). Many jobs are like that.

I've met guys in both white and blue who liked the same things. I've met blue collar guys who loved classical and white collar who loved rap so interests have little to do with the job I don't think. I've also met guys of all kinds in both fields. For instance most people I know think male teachers would generally be open minded. One of my guyfriends is a teacher and one of the most sexist guys I've ever met. He looked specifically for women who would stay at home and pop out as many babies as possible and be submissive to him. I've met guys in great careers married to women who also had great careers.

I agree. I like my luxuries too. I think having more than 3 kids, would mean that either one is wealthy or that one has had to sacrifice certain luxuries, or certain material items in order to have that big family. I don't think 3 children is a lot. It's actually more "average". Four child is on the border of being a lot, but to me that isn't a huge number either. I can see 3 or 4 kids doable for a slightly upper middle class family, but can't seem the average middle class family affording more than 4 kids without having to sacrifice a lot. I personally can't see myself having more than 3 children, though if I was in a good financial position and if I was able to have more I suppose I would have more children.

If you saw my thread earlier today, then you might know one of my brothers left us this last weekend.

I cannot express how meaningless any luxury you might think you have on this planet is when compared to the luxurious value of a loving human being in your life. Granted, the fewer children you have, the less potential you have of losing the greatest luxury in life, the fellowship of your kin. At the same time, my family has many pillars to lean on, thanks to our strength in numbers.

Yep. I hate when people associate certain character traits or hobbies with a certain field or occupation. People are really varied--and I think it's a great disservice to paint ALL blue collar man or white collar man with the same brush. There are certain character traits and hobbies that I do enjoy that I look for in men, but honestly I've found men in both white collar, blue collar, even pink collar(lol) that have what I'm looking for.

I was raised white collar, but I'm actually going back to school in January for a "skilled" sort of career. Ironically a lot of the man I've dated have been tradesmen, but I have great friendships and would definitely date a white collar worker if he had what I was looking for.

If you saw my thread earlier today, then you might know one of my brothers left us this last weekend.

I cannot express how meaningless any luxury you might think you have on this planet is when compared to the luxurious value of a loving human being in your life. Granted, the fewer children you have, the less potential you have of losing the greatest luxury in life, the fellowship of your kin. At the same time, my family has many pillars to lean on, thanks to our strength in numbers.

I'm sorry about your loss. I did see the thread. I agree that the more family members you have, the more companionship and pillars you have to lean on and support.

I think that in America and other industrialized countries we are used to many luxuries that we consider necessities. If you get rid of those, I can see how someone would be capable of raising more children. Personally though, I like my luxuries.

It still comes down to how much you make. It doesn't matter if someone has no "luxuries" if they are only making minimum wage, for example. There is a misconception in our society that financial struggle is always a result of overspending. Sometimes a person just doesn't pull in enough. I've known people who work 2 jobs that still have a tough time - and it's not like they are living in the lap of luxury.

Archived