Thinking of selling an egg.

Firiel

I just graduated from college and am currently saddled with some school loans as well as other expenses including my husband attending college. I've thought about "donating" (I put that in quotes because I figure I should be honest about it... they call it donation, but I'd get paid) an egg before, and while I probably wouldn't do it without the monetary compensation, it's something I've always thought was a beautiful thing. I am so excited to (eventually when the time is right!) have children, and I have always felt deeply for couples who have trouble conceiving. I think things like adoption and egg donation are beautiful things because they help couples build families. I know it is a very involved process medically as well, but because I currently only have a part time job, I would be flexible enough to attend to the rigid schedule.

I'm just looking for thoughts/opinions about this idea in general. If anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thanks!

I don't really see it as a good or bad thing because the kid could grow up better or worse for the fact that he was a donated eggy, in a great or terrible family. It is probably a lot to handle to know that you may have a kid out there that you probably won't know. Just my opinions.

Interesting!

I don't see it as any different than donating sperm, except that it's painful and more invasive. I agree that it's a beautiful thing.

Does it really pay well?

(RedDress starts thinking of donating as well... lol!)

It pays really well. As in, thousands of dollars.

I don't really see it as a good or bad thing because the kid could grow up better or worse for the fact that he was a donated eggy, in a great or terrible family. It is probably a lot to handle to know that you may have a kid out there that you probably won't know. Just my opinions.

That's my worry. It's an anonymous service which is probably for the best, but I have no way of knowing if the child will be raised in a good and loving home. I would definitely inquire as to whether the potential parents are psychologically screened (I know that the donors are) before making a final decision.

One of my friends did this and made a good $7,000. She was a redhead. Blondes(such as yourself) who are attractive tend to make even more. It is a lengthy process I believe she went through 6 months of preparation(or something of that nature) but the money came in handy in the end. I would definitely look into it if you are saddled down with loans.

Too bad I have ovarian cysts. They probably wouldn't want mine. I'd sell mine for sure if I could. Yeah sure, there'd be some kid out there running around with half my DNA, but we as humans are already so closely related by DNA, it wouldn't bug me.

If you need the money and are cool with the idea, I'd say GO for it!

There's always the chance that I wouldn't be accepted (due to family history/psychological screening), so I've decided for now I'll look deeper into it and see if I'm even eligible/how my gut reacts to these places.

Thanks, all!

Too bad I have ovarian cysts. They probably wouldn't want mine. I'd sell mine for sure if I could. Yeah sure, there'd be some kid out there running around with half my DNA, but we as humans are already so closely related by DNA, it wouldn't bug me.

If you need the money and are cool with the idea, I'd say GO for it!

The only thing a child and a parent share is Recessive genes COMPLETELY different DNA

The only thing a child and a parent share is Recessive genes COMPLETELY different DNA

Um, no. Parents pass on either Dominant or Recessive genes. You cannot have "completely different" DNA from your parents -- your are a recombinant version of your parents' genes. And furthermore, we share 97% of our genes with chimps, too. And there, what makes us so different from lower primates are the bits of DNA that act as "on/off" switches for gene expression, but the actual genes themselves are almost exactly the SAME as humans. So we are very, very close, genetically, even accross the species. Within the species, even moreso.

Anyway, OP, I think if you can be reassured that your own fertility will not be compromised and you're healthy, I see no reason not to do it. It sounds practically sound. And I also think that in a family that is struggling with fertility and spending this much money for in vitro and artificial insemination, we're not talking about some ghetto parents who will provide a bad home. These are people who are paying big bucks to have the dream of childrearing come true, so I think you can almost assume that the child will be wanted and loved, in a stable environment.

I think you should give a lot of thought to it. Think about it, sure it's a lot of money, but someone else will be raising your kid! and you will never know who or what that kid will look like or how he/she will grow up. it will always be a mystery. I don't think I could handle that. it's almost like giving your child up for adoption, except you havn't seen him or her or gone through a pregnancy.

that is very selfless of you to do though you can make a couple extremely happy.

Yeah agreed.

Humans have 46 chromosomes in a normal cell, 23 in a sex cell (gametes). So when humans reproduce: 23 chromosomes from each of the parents pair up = 46 chromosomes in the baby.

In each chromosome, there are genes - either pure dominant (DOM-DOM) or pure recessive (res-res) or dominant with a hidden recessive (DOM-res). Each gene is made up of a chemical which is DNA.

When the 23 chromosomes from one parent pair up with the 23 from the other, their genes clash together and depending on if they are pure dominant or pure recessive or dominant with a "hidden" recessive, the baby will have a % chance of getting pure dominant or pure recessive or dominant with a "hidden" recessive.

If both parents are pure dominant (DOM-DOM) + (DOM-DOM), then the baby is CERTAIN to have (DOM-DOM) also. Same goes with if both parents are pure recessive.

If one parent is pure dominant and the other is pure recessive, (DOM-DOM) + (res-res), then the baby is CERTAIN to have dominant with a "hidden" recessive - (DOM-res). In that case, when the baby is born, only the dominant trait will be seen and the recessive "hidden".

If both parents have dominant with "hidden" recessive, (DOM-res) + (DOM-res), then the baby will have 25% chance of being pure dominant (DOM-DOM), 25% chance of being pure recessive (res-res) and 50% chance of dominant with "hidden" recessive (DOM-res).

Okay you get the idea. -.-"

Basically:

DOM-DOM + DOM-DOM = DOM-DOM

res-res + res-res = res-res

DOM-res + DOM-res = 25% chance DOM-DOM, 25% chance res-res, 50% chance DOM-res.

DOM-DOM + DOM-res = 50% chance DOM-DOM, 50% chance DOM-res.

res-res + DOM-res = 50% chance res-res, 50% chance DOM-res.

Lecture over.

GAWD MY BRAIN IS TIRED. ASDFASDFASDF

Archived