Reality TV Love

annie24

I read this on a blog online and it was interesting - More lasting couples have come out of "The Biggest Loser" vs The Bachelor! Have any of the bachelors gotten married? I know that Trista and Ryan on the Bachelorette did! By my count, The Biggest Loser can count 4 relationships. The couple from season two (who are married with kids now), Alexandra and Antoine (who are engaged as of January), Danny and Rebecca, and now Sam and Stephanie.

How interesting that the weight loss show has lead to so many more couples than The Bachelor! and interesting that the producers don't show the "love story" until after the people are voted off the camp.

i guess the premise of the bachelor makes it hard to meet Ms. Right. competing with 25 other women living in the same house is just not a natural way to meet the love of your life. Vs. living together in equal male/female numbers and having a similar background (overweight) and working towards losing weight together, going on long hikes, long hours at the gym together, cooking breakfast together... i guess it make sense that it's a good place to find love.

very interesting....

So Jason just married Molly (the one he dumped Melissa on national TV for) recently, but that's the only other couple I know of. Supposedly Jillian and Ed from the last Bachelorette are still together, although they're not married. And then there's one ex-Bachelor couple who've been on and off in a dysfunctional relationship for 5-6 years I think, don't remember the names. (Yes I am very embarrassed that I even know all of this - time to turn off the TV and read some classics.)

I think one of the big differences too is that the Bachelor is filmed over 3 weeks (not the 8 or so they pretend it is during the airing), while I think the Biggest Loser is actually filmed over the 6 months they say it is (from premiere to finale) so that's a lot more time to get to know each other well and be able to see if you might be compatible or not. Aside from that, "shared hardship" is well known to be an amazing "bonding agent" - people form very close attachments in small groups in hardship situations. Also, a lot of the younger Biggest Loser contestants will talk about the fact that they've never been in relationships or in love (some of them have never even kissed or been kissed), mostly because they just don't get a second look due to their weight, so I'm sure being in an environment where everyone is overweight helps counter that physical attraction side. Also a lot of them actually have self-esteem for the first time of their lives once they get on the show, so that helps with forming a relationship.

I think the people on BL are a lot more real than on the Bachelor. They're not doing it (mostly) for their 5 minutes of fame, because it's not like the show casts them in a great light - certainly not as good as parading around in an evening dress flirting with some guy! Honestly I think 99% of the people on the Bachelor/ette aren't even looking for a relationship.

I'm glad they don't show the relationships on the Biggest Loser. I think the show's really inspirational and feel-good, and turning into some Real World type of thing where you see who's sleeping under whose covers would cheapen it.

Are you watching this season Annie? Have you noticed any crushes?!

The bachelor is not geared towards finding love. Can you really find love in that artificial environment? I mean seriously, soft lights, candles, alcohol everywhere. The girls wear clothes that no person who has their kinda job can afford. They look pretty all the time. Seriously? Its difficult decision to choose 1 when you know there are 20 more who want you too. What interests me is that no girl/guy rejects a flower. Its like the person with the flower has all the right to decide but the recipients are equally impressed and want to be in the running. They don't seem to care if they really want to be with this person, if this person is what they want. Everyone seems to be more concerned about getting a rose, and not getting embarrassed about getting dumped on the national TV.

That show is about drama and that's all. I wonder if people come there seriously looking for love.

I am still convinced that Trista and Ryan will end up split eventually. How much is love and how much is it publicity...I recall they had their wedding filmed. I wonder if they signed a contract to stay together for x number of years.

If they split up it's because she left. He's always seemed taken with her.

I am still convinced that Trista and Ryan will end up split eventually. How much is love and how much is it publicity...I recall they had their wedding filmed. I wonder if they signed a contract to stay together for x number of years.

I don't know about them, but many of these weddings are for publicity, including many celebrity marriages. In fact I know someone who works for a major studio and he told me probably about half of the so called marriages from celebs are publicity driven to help a celeb's career than anything else (and many of these celebs are actually gay too).

I don't know about them, but many of these weddings are for publicity, including many celebrity marriages. In fact I know someone who works for a major studio and he told me probably about half of the so called marriages from celebs are publicity driven to help a celeb's career than anything else (and many of these celebs are actually gay too).

Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes!

Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes!

lol, i thought the same thing!!

i don't know - trista and ryan - yes their wedding was over the top, but it seems like they live a relatively quiet life now with their kids. they probably have as much of a real marriage as the next person. i dunno.

but yes, i think that biggest loser is a 'hardship experience' and yeah, i can see why the younger 'never been kissed' contestants migrate together. i didn't even notice sam and steph flirting, but definitely noticed koli's animosity. i guess he's jealous or doesn't think step is good enough for his cousin? oh well.

i do think it is good that the biggest loser producers do give the couple some privacy in developing their relationship. they do focus on the friendships formed, but not the romance, which is probably really good. yeah, all of the dating shows just seem fake. i didn't know it was only 3 weeks!

Archived